8. Quake
9. Strife
10. Q3A

Noiser said:

Tekwar

Interesting choice. Why Tekwar?

I suppose mine are:

Doom
Natch. Got me into the genre to begin with.

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Like Wolf3D, but better, and with more variety.

Killing Time
One of the few FMV era games that used FMV well.

Realms of the Haunting
Badass FPS adventure/horror game with a lot of detailed and complex maps.

Rise of the Triad
Hilarious. Coulda used the Doom engine though.

Left 4 Dead
Never get tired of this one. I actually like the characters, unlike L4D2.

Goldeneye
Fond memories of the N64 era.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
At the time I'd never seen a game this huge and nonlinear.

Blood
Love everything about it, especially Caleb and the dynamite bundles.

Disruptor
A Playstation-only shooter where every level is totally unique from the others. Great music as well, which changes when you get attacked.

Impie said:

Interesting choice. Why Tekwar?

I don't know exactly. In this case, I think I liked how they designed a realistic place. The metro station used as a hub, the vehicles, cool sound effects... Overall, I had a lot of fun playing it.

I think I need to raise Quake3 to the first place on the multiplayer or singleplayer FPS. Just had an excellent hour and a half with max amount of (easy) bots in skirmish ffa. The bot behaviour in Hell's Gate is just so impressive on the bridge that spawns the powerup.

Although it would have been better if there was some more contrast with the level textures and the models, especially if using r_picmip 8...

I've been trying to get through Quake III on Nightmare difficulty and I've only beaten the first tier. Shit is tough, feels like I'm competing for MLG.

Cyanosis said:

I've been trying to get through Quake III on Nightmare difficulty and I've only beaten the first tier. Shit is tough, feels like I'm competing for MLG.

I got through all other levels on Nightmare except the last one. Maybe I got like 3 or 4 frags when Xaero hits 10. As soon as that level starts, he's already hit me once with the railgun.

The skirmish mode is pretty tough with max amount of bots on Nightmare too. It feels like they're too accurate with the MG.. I can survive them just as good as on Hardcore.. but they just kill off each other much faster, and I can't keep up with that. I don't know if they get any better tactics on higher difficulties, just get more accurate.

They jump around more and do more player things, like shooting grenades behind them or shooting near the ground with rockets. They don't feel like they cheat on this difficulty surprisingly, they're not aim-botting you like the bots in CS. Map domination is top priority and knowing what each bot seeks out the most, be it particular weapons or power ups. Crash seemed hard as nails until I denied her the shotgun at the start.

Doom
Doom95
Ultimate Doom
Freedoom
Doom II
Final Doom: Plutonia
Final Doom: Evilution
Ah frig, I ran out

^_____________________________________________________________^

Wovenloaf said:

Doom
Doom95
Ultimate Doom
Freedoom
Doom II
Final Doom: Plutonia
Final Doom: Evilution
Ah frig, I ran out

^_____________________________________________________________^

In other words, Doom.

Doom 2
Doom
Quake
GoldenEye
Blood
Soldier of Fortune 2
Doom 64
Perfect Dark
Half-Life
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

And I ran out of room. Although Urban Chaos: Riot Response for PS2 should be in the list somewhere.

BioShock Infinite
F.E.A.R. 1
Half Life 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Counter-Strike 1.6
Borderlands 2
Mirror's Edge
Far Cry 2
Serious Sam Second Encounter
Quake 3

Hello all, I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.
I had hoped to find a dedicated thread for the subject but unfortunate there doesn't seem to be any so I hope people don't mind that I do so while I write down my favorite FPS games/series

In no particular order (as I find it a bit difficult to pick which one is my most favorite).

* The Half Life series. Been with the series since the original release and so far have enjoyed all the games, even the weaker Blue Shift and mod based on its engine that got an official release; Gunman Chronicles.

* The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. Also been a fan for a long time of this series with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy being my favorites. (also ties into my previous interest into Star Wars itself. Sadly it suffered somewhat from the prequels Lucas might and was put down right to pasture when Disney bought the franchise and declared the old EU non official)

* Deus Ex series. Okay not really a First Person Shooter but it has some elements of it so I let it pass on those grounds. Really loved the franchise since DE1 and I also liked Invisible War though it is not up to par to its predecessor). Deus Ex Human Revolution was also pretty good but I never felt really like replaying that one unlike Deus Ex 1 (which has become a meme; whenever you mention it someone re installs it to play it)

* Star Trek Elite Force 1 & 2. These games are perhaps not really in tune with the spirit or the message of the show but the setting does allow for many interest locations and opponents to fight. I prefer 1 over 2 regarding general design and story telling even if 2 looks better. (as people can guess I am or at least used to be a big Trek fan)

* Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 2009. Nothing wrong with Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny but it has been a long time since I last played them and when I recently tried again I found it a bit difficult to get into them. I really like RtCW and Wolf 2009 (in particular Wolf 2009) for the Indiana Jones like atmosphere regarding story telling and use of such pulp WW2 elements like the supernatural and Nazi super science.
Wolf 2009's levels could have been a bit bigger though as well as several more and I am not a big fan of regenerative health but I am glad to find out that there are others here who also like it.
I did not play TNO as I found the atmosphere a bit to depressing for my taste and I did not like the over dramatic inner monologues of Blazkowicz (we get it, wars are depressing and awful and we should not long for them) but I did give The Old Blood a try, hoping it would be like RTCW/Wolf 2009. (it was this partly but I still think it suffered from some of the same problems of TNO)

* Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil. Kind of the same as with Wolfenstein 3D, I did play the first game when it came out years ago (man I feel old) and I enjoyed it a lot as it was such a revolutionary new type of game and it was unapologetic in its depiction of violence and gore, but after playing games like Half Life and Dark Forces: Jedi Knight I found it difficult to get back into.
Doom 3 and its expansion I enjoyed as a new interpretation of the Doom franchise, it may have depended a little to much on jump scares and shadows but it had a great atmosphere. (I do think Doom 3 is better than the expansion)
It will be interesting to find out if Doom 2016 is a mix of the fast paced action of Doom 1&2 and the atmosphere of Doom 3

* Quake 2/Quake 4. These games were 'okay' but Quake 2 did not run as well on my old PC as some other games did at the time and Quake 4 felt a little 'standard by the numbers story-driven-FPS' when it came out. I probably would feel different about it now as there has been rather a drought in FPS games with a sci-fi setting. (I did like the setting and the Stroggs a lot, Quake 2's intro is one of my favorite game intros)

* Singularity. Not 'great' but still a lot of fun for someone who enjoys FPS mixed with sci-fi stuff. Did feel a little as if Raven tried to copy parts of Bioshock in this game though, I also really wish they had not limited the number of weapons you can carry during at any moment during the game.
I am a bit sad that after this title Raven basically stopped making any FPS made on existing sci-fi franchises or creations of their own, the FPS genre has suffered because of it.

* Command and Conquer Renegade. I found it rather fun going through the C&C1 universe on foot and being able to enter the various buildings from the RTS game and drive some of its vehicles.

* Aliens vs Predator 2. As a fan of both movie franchises it was a lot of fun going through the sci-fi future imagined in the Alien movies while fighting or playing these classic sci fi monsters.
To bad the new Aliens vs Predator wasn't as good and that Aliens Colonial Marines really sucked so much. (Alien Isolation made up for the lack in atmosphere/story telling but that is not a true FPS game)

Hopefully my English is not to broken for native English speakers here.

As much as I enjoyed 2009 very slightly I do not believe it deserves to be up there with RTCW, TNO (despite my disappointment with it) probably deserves to be closer to RTCW than 2009, but even then it focused a little too much more on gore, executions, narrative, and it had pretty linear map design. TNO's story was good but not great like RTCW's story.

As for Wolf 3D I know it was a landmark FPS title but it was a little too much simple for my tastes, Doom pretty much improved on it with a good balance of complexity and variety in both gameplay and map design.

Avoozl said:

As for Wolf 3D I know it was a landmark FPS title but it was a little too much simple for my tastes, Doom pretty much improved on it with a good balance of complexity and variety in both gameplay and map design.

Agree. It felt like playing a platformer in first person. For me that is.

Avoozl said:

As much as I enjoyed 2009 very slightly I do not believe it deserves to be up there with RTCW, TNO (despite my disappointment with it) probably deserves to be closer to RTCW than 2009, but even then it focused a little too much more on gore, executions, narrative, and it had pretty linear map design. TNO's story was good but not great like RTCW's story.

It is mostly the story I liked a lot, the game still had plenty of design elements and flaws I wish that had been done different.
For example, after a while I kind of grew tired of the hubs and I wish that Raven had done away with that.

Level wise RtCW was a lot better.

Voros said:

[Wolf 3D] felt like playing a platformer in first person.

You mean like a traditional 2D platformer, but without downward gravity force, viewed from 1st person perspective of your playable character, and the view being rotated by 90°? There might be something to it.

Cyanosis said:

They jump around more and do more player things, like shooting grenades behind them or shooting near the ground with rockets. They don't feel like they cheat on this difficulty surprisingly, they're not aim-botting you like the bots in CS. Map domination is top priority and knowing what each bot seeks out the most, be it particular weapons or power ups. Crash seemed hard as nails until I denied her the shotgun at the start.

I take my words back I suck cock, Xaero is definitely aimbotting even on Hardcore. A pixel of me leaves a pillar and he instantly hits me. I don't remember Xan doing this shit in UT. Fucking retarded.

2 ways to beat xaero

1 - total offensive (kill him before he gets the railgun)
2 - total defensive (lure him close to you and use the rocket launcher)

there is a third way but it is a bug in the AI

Cyanosis said:

Quake III on Nightmare difficulty

The only Quake 3 maps I've ever beaten on Nightmare difficulty are Q3DM1 and Q3DM19 (the havoc between multiple opponents helped me in the latter one). Trying to beat Ranger on Q3DM1 and Uriel on Q3TOURNEY5 on Nightmare difficulty were and still are my favorite skill practices in Quake 3. Sorry for off-topic.

i wanna join too, daddy!

1. doom
2. doom 2
3. garry's mod (does this even count?)
4. unreal tournament
5. battlefield bad company 2
6. tf2
7. rising storm
8. quake
9. quake 3
10. arma 2/3 (can't decide)

Mine:

1. Good ol' lovely DooM and all related
2. GTA 5
3. Far Cry 4
4. Fallout 4
5. DooM 3
6. Outlast
7. Skyrim
8. Garry's mod
9. Call of duty games
10. Counter Strike

(Typed in a hurry, maybe I'm wrong. Might edit it later.)

Doominator2 said:

Skyrim FPS?

lol yeah, you can shoot arrows and firebolts etc right? :p There are mods to add guns too, and I don't use the third-person view in Skyrim much so for me it's a first-person game if not shooter.

1. doom
2. duke nukem 3d
3. blood
4. shadow warrior
5. quake
6. rise of the triad
7. wolfenstein 3d
8. half-life
9. shogo
10. postal 2

yes, you read it right - postal 2 is fucking great!

Changed my mind, Remove ARMA 3 from my favorites list, the game my sound realistic and fun at first time but will eventually become Extremely boring and repeatitive, Not to mention how much orders do you have to take care of .

fveitsi said:

yes, you read it right - postal 2 is fucking great!

It's more a first person sandbox fuck-a-round than a traditional FPS, be it classic or modern. The gunplay is also terrible, with the melee weapons being the real star of the show if you ask me.

Caffeine Freak said:

2. Hexen

I am currently replaying Hexen. I will be finishing it for the first time, to be exact. Last time I played it many years ago I stopped in Darkmere. I love the switch hunting and the travelling back and forth between levels to discover newly opened passages.

The only thing I don't like is the limited arsenal of only 4 weapons.

1. Duke Nukem 3D

2. Doom & Doom 2 (putting them together gives me one more slot! Or Doom2 is #2.5)

3. Quake (note: Scourge of Armagon rules too)

4. Doom 3 (note: Resurrection of Evil rules too)

5. Duke Nukem Forever (a really fun underrated gem for me, makes me happy it exists)

6. Shadow Warrior '97

7. Half-Life 2

8. No One Lives Forever

9. F.E.A.R.

10. Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (I didn't even watch Voyager, but in 2000 this was a lot of fun)

Honorable mention: Max Payne (Third person shooter, but a freakin' masterpiece!)

More honorable mentions: Action Half-Life, Quake 2 deathmatch, Quake 3, UT, UT2004, Tribes

My Top 10

Just Cause 2 (With FPS Mod): LOVE the game, not as great from an FPS standpoint though...

Counter Strike: Time Waster Simulator with bots, entertaining...

Modern Warfare 2: My first COD. People complain about COD's campaigns, but I see it as a pretty darn great interactive movie. Also they complain about the lack of overall change, but this was my first COD and holds a special place in me.

Dishonored: The game that taught me non-lethal ways to do things. Made me reconsider other stuff, great game design.

BattleFront 2: A classic. Large scale battles and Stare Wars. Need I say more?

Garry's Mod: Custom content galore! Plus I love zombies mode and TTT.

Minecraft: This deviates from the traditional FPS genre a bit, and I may sound childish for saying so, but Minecraft is pretty great.

Insugency: One of the greatest FPSs ever, and sits at the other end of spectrum from Doom in terms of how it plays. I love the unforgiving tactical gameplay, and I love the community. If yall want something that plays less run-and-gunney, try this. I cannot recommend it enough.

Doom: Despite the above, I find myself playing Doom more often. Why? Mods and maps that continually breathe new life upon it, sometimes modernizing it or sending it back to nostalgia (which I don't have, since I started playing this in 2012). And its mainly single player, which Insurgency is not. I tend to play single player more often. Those reasons are why Doom is upper than Insurgency for me.

Halo Reach: Well God Damm, there isn't enough I can't say for this game. I love the custom content, I love the custom matches, I love the infection, I love Forge World maps, I love the large group of people we'd gather with to play the custom matches. Screw the regualar matches, which you can find in any Halo game. Screw Halo 4 and 5, and its a great shame too, but they don't support infection modes. Plus I don't like music to play while playing a non-serious custom game.