Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Holliday music

Ok, so I'm sure that this thread is destined for a very fiery afterlife, but that is not my intent and yes I am just this stupid to ask such a question, but it is a legitimate question.

So it's not considered PC (or generally acceptable) nowadays to wish, say, customers at a job a Merry Christmas because it could be offensive. (stop, that's not where I'm going with this, I'm keeping my hat out of that ring). However, when I'm in retail stores (and I work in the butcher's shop of a grocery store so I hear this God awful music all day) all I hear is Christmas music. I remember last year hearing the Dreidle song, but this year it has been all Christmas songs with a few of the worst of the regular selection thrown in. Point is, it's not "Holliday music;" "it's Cristmas music." (plussomeextrabullshit)

So my unanswerable question is this: if it's not PC-okay to blindly say Merry Christmas to people why is it PC-okay to play "Christmas music" over the intercom for everyone to hear as long as they remain in the store? Personally, I find the music more offensive than the saying, but hey, I'm dumb enough to ask this question, so what the Hell do I know, heh.

The majority of America (last I checked) was Christian. Thus, I sorta expect Christmas music to be played in stores around this time. Does it get on my nerves? Sometimes, especially since I'm not Christian. But it's not like it's attempting to offend, hurt, or demean me (usually), and it's not being racist or anything towards me. Thus, I just quietly ignore it and focus on whatever I'm doing instead. Plus I can always get my revenge by blasting pagan music in the parking lot out of my car.

Also, some Christmas music isn't directly about Christmas, but is more about the holiday season in general, Santa, or it being snowy and cold.

And then there's this:

Those goats are more talented than 99% of the artists that play on the radio at my work.

yukib1t said:

The majority of America (last I checked) was Christian. Thus, I sorta expect Christmas music to be played in stores around this time. Does it get on my nerves? Sometimes, especially since I'm not Christian. But it's not like it's attempting to offend, hurt, or demean me (usually), and it's not being racist or anything towards me. Thus, I just quietly ignore it and focus on whatever I'm doing instead. Plus I can always get my revenge by blasting pagan music in the parking lot out of my car.

Also, some Christmas music isn't directly about Christmas, but is more about the holiday season in general, Santa, or it being snowy and cold.

But just saying Merry Christmas isn't intending to hurt, demean, or offend. Like you said, it's the time of the season and it's only a quick phrase uttered in passing, unlike the music which follows you to every corner of the store at a volume that is quite audible.

About that last sentence, if it's about Santa, then it is directly about Christmas. But the vast majority of the newer Christmas songs are too unimaginative to not mention "Christmas" in the song. Hell, there's even a song that goes, "last Christmas, I gave you my heart. But the very next day, you gave it away. This year, something something something, I'll give it to someone special." That has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas or the holiday season; it only uses Christmas as an arbitrary setting. But yet it makes the list...

On a somewhat random side-note, the only song that sounds unchanged from when I was a kid (same artist, same recording) is Feliz Navidad, at least as far as I can tell.

Fonze said:

About that last sentence, if it's about Santa, then it is directly about Christmas. But the vast majority of the newer Christmas songs are too unimaginative to not mention "Christmas" in the song.

I suppose so... I guess I just don't associate Santa with Christianity that much anymore.

yukib1t said:

I suppose so... I guess I just don't associate Santa with Christianity that much anymore.

Bro... that's like saying the stork doesn't deliver babies to mommies and daddies.

Fonze said:

On a somewhat random side-note, the only song that sounds unchanged from when I was a kid (same artist, same recording) is Feliz Navidad, at least as far as I can tell.

I wish. When I was a kid even that song tended to be more disco.

Carol of the Bells is pretty much the only song worth listening to from this season. Specifically, "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12.24" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

What, is it now taboo to wish someone a good Christmas? I hope it's because of other religions, not because of atheists. I'm actually glad that retail stores and radios are still singing Christmas carols despite the possible ban on "Merry Christmas". It shows that they're resisting.

Are some people trying to destroy Christmas by making it politically incorrect?

I've no objections to Christmas music, just wish they'd make a few concessions to those of us South of the equator when picking songs. As for the meddlesome PC crowd, I'd like to wish those hypocrites a Merry Christmas.

printz said:

I hope it's because of other religions, not because of atheists.

Us atheists often just try to include all the religions. No reason to have a dominant brand of fairytales.

The decision by businesses is clearly financial on some level. The big ones just try to include everybody. Often leads to their holiday parties turning into blank rooms with food.

I think its worth mentioning that things that the concern being politically correct or inoffensive draws up a much more numerous and louder group of people strawmanning people and questioning the offensive nature of it than those who are actually seriously offended by it. The whole red starbucks cup thing is a very obvious and recent example and leads me to believe that anyone who was "offended" by it was paid for by starbucks as a very successful publicity stunt.

I think holidays are just fine, but all the other nonsense is just annoying. At least this year I haven't heard any Christmas songs yet. Partly because my sleep rhythm gets screwed up so bad this time of the year that the shops are usually closed when I'd be ready to go shopping.

I've noticed that I don't really hear all that many Kwanzaa songs on the radio. I think I should write a letter to my congressman about this.

40oz said:

Is that where your posts come from?

Who are you talking to?

Remember, in certain societies, there are certain expectations when it comes to social etiquette and basic human communication.

Oh they exchange diarrhea comics where you're from?

40oz said:

Oh they exchange diarrhea comics where you're from?

Again, are you talking to me?

I can't tell, because you didn't quote my post.

It's like you are talking to nobody.

I thought you were the etiquette expert. Or was that sarcasm?

VVVVV - *sigh*... it amazes me how people can be using vBulletin for over a decade and they still don't understand the basics. You do realize that without quoting someone, you could literally be responding to anyone in the thread, right? Are you talking to everyone, or one person? It helps to make such things clear. postcount++

printz said:

What, is it now taboo to wish someone a good Christmas?

It's just an American thing, and pretty weird.

Gonna be a shock but, I do enjoy Christmas music myself.

There I said it.

I listened to a 3 hour Youtube video that has various Christmas music while coloring some transparent ornaments.

Of course I didn't listen to the whole thing since I pretty much got them colored by 37:30.