Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xegethra

Stuck using ZDL

Hello,

A friend and I are trying to use ZDL to play some WADs. But whenever we do, ZDL seems to think the game is full when it isn't. I host the game with my ip, and he will connect to it, but despite having the players set to 2, and ZDL saying only 1 player (me) has joined...my friend is told by ZDL that the game is full.

Whenever he hosts, ZDL tells me that the host has cancelled the game.

We've tried using Tunngle with it, Hamachi and Evolve....but the same old and same old.

I can connect to a game when I'm the only one joining, but that is rather pointless to have a LAN game with only one player.

Other programs we have used are IDE and Doomseeker, but they only accept Zandronum and the WAD we want to use only runs in GZDoom. We have also tried ZDL with no custom WADs, we get the same results.

Not really sure what to do, we've looked around the internet but can't really find a solution, having a bit of difficulty even wording the problem in search bar form.

If anyone can help then that would be great, because we are kinda stuck here.

I may be missing something here, but isn't ZDL just an offline frontend/launcher? What does it have to do with managing multiplayer games?

Are you trying to use the multiplayer feature of e.g. ZDoom with command-line arguments through ZDL? You're better off using one of the many dedicated multiplayer ports like ZDaemon, Zandronum, Skulltag/Odamex etc. which have all those complex settings and connection issues already worked out for you.

Wasn't it something like host counting as 2 players because you host the server with one copy of ZDoom and then connect to yourself with another copy? So you would need playerlimit 3 to have 2 players or something. I don't rememeber but I played coop through ZDL almost 10 years ago and this problem sounds vaguely familiar.

Maes said:

I may be missing something here, but isn't ZDL just an offline frontend/launcher? What does it have to do with managing multiplayer games?

Are you trying to use the multiplayer feature of e.g. ZDoom with command-line arguments through ZDL? You're better off using one of the many dedicated multiplayer ports like ZDaemon, Zandronum, Skulltag/Odamex etc. which have all those complex settings and connection issues already worked out for you.

We can choose which source port we want to use, it's just like IDE and Doomseeker really..only this lets us use GZDoom only WADs.

Memfis said:

Wasn't it something like host counting as 2 players because you host the server with one copy of ZDoom and then connect to yourself with another copy? So you would need playerlimit 3 to have 2 players or something. I don't rememeber but I played coop through ZDL almost 10 years ago and this problem sounds vaguely familiar.

I see, we'll try this thanks. Oddly enough we tried a random number higher than 2, but only the one time and that didn't work. If 3 is the number to use, then so be it....well, I hope it works, sometimes doing this sort of thing drives me up the wall.

Memfis said:

That's not even close to correct. G/ZDoom expect and use the exact player limit as specified.

Xegethra said:

A friend and I are trying to use ZDL to play some WADs. But whenever we do, ZDL seems to think the game is full when it isn't. I host the game with my ip, and he will connect to it, but despite having the players set to 2, and ZDL saying only 1 player (me) has joined...my friend is told by ZDL that the game is full.

This actually sounds like you're running two different versions of ZDoom. The handshake was changed a little while back to make they didn't fail if they took too long, however in doing so the handshake between the two versions will report a nonsense failure message (somewhat intentional). Make sure you're both running the exact same development builds.
ZDL also shouldn't be telling you any number of players joined (as it is not a connection manager) so I'm a little confused about that last part.

We should be running the latest version, we did ask this and we both got it from here. http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

This is just me launching the program on it's own without him.

Here in the GZDoom window, it says 1/2 players has joined. On my friends screen, it would be telling him that the game is full.

The I.P. is there, I just hid it.

Well your end is correct (as a second node hasn't joined yet). It's your friend you should be checking.

I see, we'll be trying again later today so hopefully we can go through it again. At least if my end is O.K, we only have one side to concentrate on.

Thanks for the reply anyhow, it didn't look like I was doing anything wrong, so I got really confused.

*EDIT*

Still doing the same thing to us, every time he wants to join, it says the game is full no matter what player limit we set. And when I try to join, it always tells me the host has cancelled the game. We looked over it and we are pretty sure we have the right set up judging by what you last said so its a bit confusing for us.

Xegethra said:

Still doing the same thing to us, every time he wants to join, it says the game is full no matter what player limit we set. And when I try to join, it always tells me the host has cancelled the game. We looked over it and we are pretty sure we have the right set up judging by what you last said so its a bit confusing for us.

The problem is you're still describing to me the mismatched versions issue. That is the exact symptom. Your friend either hasn't actually updated or is pointing ZDL to the wrong executable.

themaniacboy said:

Try using ZDE http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46861&start=0
I've been using it for some time now after looking for a alternative to ZDL and it's been working great so far.

Changing the frontend wont change what is completely unrelated to it.

Indeed I could still try it. But I can only go on what my friend says then, if he hasn't the latest version then I can't really do anything. At least if we try the new program then he will be forced to set it all up again, to point to the exe all over and whatnot...so there is that.

Xegethra said:

if he hasn't the latest version then I can't really do anything.

Sure you can. You have to be using the exact same version anyway, no exceptions.

Haha I don't know how many times I gave him that link, then he goes and tells me he got the thing from moddb...ugh.

So yeah he was a version down because of that, after all of this time telling me he had the latest version. I never get my sourceports from moddb....I don't know why anyone would. I guess he gets it into his head that there is only one place you need to get something from.

Oh well, we got it eventually! Thanks for the help.

Out of curiosity, who even uploaded it to moddb? I bet I know who's responsible. I can't stand their policy for letting people upload things that aren't theirs.

Why not? That's how databases work or so I thought. What's important is to gather all the information available.

Xegethra said:

Haha I don't know how many times I gave him that link, then he goes and tells me he got the thing from moddb...ugh.

Such a build would have to be older than the 5th of October, 2014. People really need to stop rehosting this stuff as it just confuses anybody who doesn't understand where the content is actually hosted and maintained.