Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
watstha

Doom 2016's future

Hey guys, new member on this forum.
I wanted to read your opinions: How do you think Doom 2016 will perform once it comes out? Do you think it will sell well or you think it will bomb?

Personally, I have the feeling it is not going to sell well, which would really suck, considering I´m loving the new game a lot.

In my honest opinion, I've been behind Doom 2016 the entire time. From what we've seen so far I like the design, the sound, the gameplay. I think it will be a good game but it wont be at the top of any charts.

As of now it seems to be on pace for around 3-4 million copies. There's interest, but not a ton.

The best case scenario is for iD/Bethesda to go on a big marketing blowout early next year to really get the awareness going and to release a lot of gameplay videos that win people over, thus resulting in around 5-6 million copies.

It'll sell decently thanks to their marketing machine, people will talk about it for like a month, and then it will just be another game.

ChickenOrBeef said:

As of now it seems to be on pace for around 3-4 million copies. There's interest, but not a ton.

The best case scenario is for iD/Bethesda to go on a big marketing blowout early next year to really get the awareness going and to release a lot of gameplay videos that win people over, thus resulting in around 5-6 million copies.

I hope they do, because honestly, they made a really bad choice in showing that kind of gameplay at E3, it made the game look rather slow, and lets be honest here... it is kind of slow (At least the walking speed)

watstha said:

I hope they do, because honestly, they made a really bad choice in showing that kind of gameplay at E3, it made the game look rather slow, and lets be honest here... it is kind of slow (At least the walking speed)

Didn't look slow. Just the person playing it didn't choose to play it very fast for the sake of presentation. And seriously... what a shitty presentation it would of been if he moved ultra quickly and the mass audience just gets to view spastic movement to admire his skills.

I loved the presentation, I have taken mostly good points from it. Don't worry you're going to buy it regardless. So let the game look pretty for the rest of the world so they can get those Sales.

I really want it to sell well and be good, but I feel taking the Fatality gimmick from Skyrim and showcasing it as The Main Gimmick for Doom won't be enough. And I don't see it working very well in MP, if it's anything remotely like the one-button mash AVP was.

At first I was like: "Hell YEA! It looks amazing!" But then I watched the MP video, and was like: "Meh, just another Modern DM."
In today's FPS market if your game doesn't have a good MP component it won't stick around long. None of the weapons are distinct, they're all your modern generic weirdness of New.
If single player is good it may make up for it, but Bethesda games have a tendency of being half-assed and improved by modders (yes I know, it's an ID game, but Bethesda has vastly restricted ID.), which is debatable how restrictive SnapMap will be or modding for Doom in general. Doom wouldn't have stuck around the way it has without modding and having FULL access and they've seemed to drop the ball big time in that regard.

Here's to hoping, though.

Flesh420 said:

I feel taking the Fatality gimmick from Skyrim and showcasing it as The Main Gimmick for Doom won't be enough.

I'd rather if they didn't use it in the first place as I don't like forced fatalities in a game which never used to have them in the series, and they would just make killing demons too easy and get old fast, and I'm only okay with a game such has Fallout having them.

I think Skyrim actually used the same code used with VATS in Fallout 3/NV in a modified way for its fatalities, and they seemed to use the lock picking mechanic from Fallout 3/NV also.

Linguica said:

then it will just be another game.

The hope is that SnapMap will keep DOOM relevant for a while. Also, there's that reliable rumor that iD is remaking all of Doom 1 and will release it as DLC, which would definitely spike interest after launch.

watstha said:

I hope they do, because honestly, they made a really bad choice in showing that kind of gameplay at E3, it made the game look rather slow

I think iD's plan was to showcase everything clearly in the Foundry demo and then go all-out in the Hell demo. So I wonder if a lot of people only saw the Foundry demo. I don't see how anyone can watch that Hell battle and say it looks too slow and clunky.

Flesh420 said:

In today's FPS market if your game doesn't have a good MP component it won't stick around long.

I'm guessing you didn't play the Alpha? Also keep in mind that all the SnapMap stuff can be played online, which will help increase the game's online lifespan.

To the op.

If Doom 2016 succeeds in giving nonlinearity in a modern form, then chances are other future fps games will follow follow the same style (with few variations of course ).

Or, if it falls (like Doom 4), then it wont make much of an impact. I'm sure it wont fail, since id doesn't make such big mistakes, unless there is a misunderstanding. Look at Doom 3 and Quake 4. They were great to play anyway, but were in a somewhat realistic situation.

My opinion: its going to rock gaming history... Again. I don't how, but somehow it will.

Although modding seems to be hard, making user created maps and modes seem fun enough anyway (probably not to those hardcore modders , no offense).

Voros said:

My opinion: its going to rock gaming history... Again. I don't how, but somehow it will.

Oh that's a big claim. There are very few games that rocked game history and I think it only gets more difficult as the industry matures. I believe it will be considered a solid FPS, where those who aren't fans of the franchise can't really hate on it and the actual fans themselves will have a good mix of "great" and "meh".

I enjoy the direction it's going. Optional fatalities (Yes it's optional), the level of blood, the nice mix of Doom 3 and original doom designs and just the atmosphere in general. Personally I like the battle music I'm hearing and keen to hear all the tracks separately while I'm mapping for any of the Doom games.

I think it will have a nice balance to pander to both modern gamers and old school fans alike. Some people can't move on or don't like change... so be it. I never touched Dawn of War 2 but loved Dawn of War 1.

I'm on board with pretty much everything Doom '16 has shown us so far (despite my nitpicking about the cyberdemon and the 1998-era vaporized blood that almost no modern FPS has gotten over). It's really difficult to say how it's going to be received. On the one hand, it's defiantly arcade-action driven, ignoring many modern FPS tropes and making no attempt to explain itself. This old school approach will probably be refreshing since it's a AAA title with really nice production value. I suspect the multiplayer component and SnapMap will provide the most longevity.

However, we're probably kidding ourselves if any of us think it's going to affect a new paradigm shift in the industry. 22 years ago, the FPS genre was in its wild west days, so it was possible to stand out amongst the rest by pushing a bit more than your contemporaries, not only technologically but in terms of extreme content. Nowadays, every market is super saturated, there's a massive, ever-growing library of games to choose from, and shooters come in a number of different flavors. It's difficult to imagine Doom '16 being regarded as anything other than a really solid shooter. That said, I'm hoping it'll be praised a bit more positively than that.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Also, there's that reliable rumor that iD is remaking all of Doom 1 and will release it as DLC, which would definitely spike interest after launch.

Wait, where did you hear this?

Anyway, in regards to the original question: my guess is that it will sell well enough to be financially successful. It's been well-received enough both by Doom fans and non-Doom fans alike(not to mention the highly effective timing that id has utilized with the PR campaign) that I think it will make them money. The name brand, combined with the old-school approach id is taking with gameplay and combat, should be a nice selling point for players that are fed up with the COD/Halo gameplay. As for whether it will have a long lasting impact, I'm a bit more skeptical.

Avoozl said:

and they would just make killing demons too easy and get old fast,

I'm pretty sure fatalities can only be performed on monsters after they're basically dead anyways, right?

Caffeine Freak said:

Wait, where did you hear this?

There's some guy on YouTube who leaked a bunch of info for both DOOM and Fallout 4 around Spring of this year, and basically everything he said has come to pass....except for his leak about Doom 1 being remade for DLC.

I completely forgot his name and the video. But I remember he leaked all of the Fallout 4 companion apps and he even said there would be a closed alpha for DOOM. He said he knew a girl at Bethesda who leaked him the info.

ChickenOrBeef said:

The hope is that SnapMap will keep DOOM relevant for a while. Also, there's that reliable rumor that iD is remaking all of Doom 1 and will release it as DLC, which would definitely spike interest after launch.

That does sound interesting.

I was checking out a new trailer. It seemed more promising than the initial trailers.

I hope that some genius modder out there in the world, makes some of the character models look closer to the originals.

Piper Maru said:

In my honest opinion, I've been behind Doom 2016 the entire time. From what we've seen so far I like the design, the sound, the gameplay. I think it will be a good game but it wont be at the top of any charts.

It's definitely going to be a step up from Doom 3 in my opinion.

watstha said:

Walkimg is supposed to be slower. They do and should have dynamic movement instead of one speed. Their top speed isnt bad

It'll have a brighter future in my opinion if the modding support eventually becomes on par with what we have for original Doom right now. It's legacy has been kept alive by the modding community. Face it, doodle broom got people interested in the game again as much as you might hate to admit that. Mark really did a damn good overhaul with certain things in regards to the game, hell the fact GZDoom and ZDoom exist at all to provide the engine extensions nessecarry to facility a mod like that is amazing.

Doom4 will be around for a long time as long as they allow open ended modding like that and make it with enough ease of use so that just about anyone can get the hang of it. Doom3 didn't have that and I can say from experience that doing mods for it is a fucking nightmarish mess if you're not familiar or skilled with a lot of unintuitive programming. Hence, it's 'legacy' died off over the years and we're all STILL waiting for Doom3: Phobos to come out...

If modding doesn't bloom soon enough after release, it will stagnate. It doesn't help the BDesque fatality BS doesn't turn me off enough already, but all the new kids who will play it like just another MMS.

I'm so on the fence about SnapMap. You literally won't be able to make E1M1, which is extremely simple in design. You'll be able to make a very crude approximation with lots of pretty accents, but things like arbitrary angles and outdoor areas? Fuhgettaboutit! Classic Doom is still alive because of modding. SnapMap had better have some outstanding features we're not considering if Doom '16 is to survive.

If it allows external usage of resources then it will be outstanding

(Hoping it will!)

The entire point of snapmap is shared resources among everyone so everyone works from the same toolset. Snapmap creations will be able to be shared cross-platform because every copy of the game will contain the same assets.

You're dreaming.

Well that sucks.

Looks we need to hope for a 3rd party editor than (if any are made).

So Doom 2016 will have vanilla editing only... Damn.
Oh well, doesn't mean those creations will suck.

GoatLord said:

SnapMap had better have some outstanding features we're not considering if Doom '16 is to survive.

The ability to edit game logic will probably provide the most creativity and depth. iD gave a few examples of a few wacky game modes created by their team that they never considered.

iD definitely needs to put out a video soon that shows a few user-created maps that look very different visually. We've only seen one setting so far.

Voros said:

Well that sucks.

Looks we need to hope for a 3rd party editor than (if any are made).

So Doom 2016 will have vanilla editing only... Damn.
Oh well, doesn't mean those creations will suck.

maybe it could be possible to edit the 3D snapable architecture models in a 3rd party program. Thus, you would basically just import new stuff to snap. Further, hopefully someone will be able to break or work around the limit they impose on map sizes.

I'm fairly certain the iDstudios tools will be released shortly after launch for pc. As for the entire games future I expect it to sell decently but probably be barren after a month or two from launch, although I hope for it to be incredibly popular and active for a long time. Who knows, it might.

It would be a dream come true if we could at least make our own prefabs and upload them into the SnapMap database.

Same could be done for actor's, textures and decorations.