Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

List of unused resources in the IWADs?

This is something that I'm curious about.
I've noticed for a while that the IWADs contains rather many unused Resources.
I'll start with the Doom Shareware 1.9 IWAD:

- Registered level name Graphics
- Fireballs (Cacodemon, Arachnotron, Mancubus, Bossbrain)
- BFG impact sounds
- Don't think blazing doors exists in shareware, if not, than the sounds for those are included and unused

I'm too lazy to check and list the other IWADs now, if anyone else feels like it, go for it.

I was always wondering about this grey stalagmite whenever I create a new dehacked file for Doom 2:

Antares, that sprite went unused for some reason, however I'm glad it's there - It's allowed me some extra dehacked sprite frames!

doom2.wad v1.9 has all the doom.wad level title graphics. It has DSTINK/DPTINK which is also only used in Doom 1 (Doom 2 uses DSRADIO/DPRADIO for multiplayer chat notifications).

Both wads have the sw18_7 lump twice

doom.wad v1.9 has all these lumps twice (and yes, it has all the double shotgun sounds not once but twice):

DPPISTOL
DSPISTOL
DPSHOTGN
DSSHOTGN
DPSGCOCK
DSSGCOCK
DPSAWUP
DSSAWUP
DPSAWIDL
DSSAWIDL
DPSAWFUL
DSSAWFUL
DPSAWHIT
DSSAWHIT
DPRLAUNC
DSRLAUNC
DPRXPLOD
DSRXPLOD
DPFIRSHT
DSFIRSHT
DPFIRXPL
DSFIRXPL
DPPSTART
DSPSTART
DPPSTOP
DSPSTOP
DPDOROPN
DSDOROPN
DPDORCLS
DSDORCLS
DPSTNMOV
DSSTNMOV
DPSWTCHN
DSSWTCHN
DPSWTCHX
DSSWTCHX
DPPLPAIN
DSPLPAIN
DPDMPAIN
DSDMPAIN
DPPOPAIN
DSPOPAIN
DPSLOP
DSSLOP
DPITEMUP
DSITEMUP
DPWPNUP
DSWPNUP
DPOOF
DSOOF
DPTELEPT
DSTELEPT
DPPOSIT1
DSPOSIT1
DPPOSIT2
DSPOSIT2
DPPOSIT3
DSPOSIT3
DPBGSIT1
DSBGSIT1
DPBGSIT2
DSBGSIT2
DPSGTSIT
DSSGTSIT
DPBRSSIT
DSBRSSIT
DPSGTATK
DSSGTATK
DPCLAW
DSCLAW
DPPLDETH
DSPLDETH
DPPDIEHI
DSPDIEHI
DPPODTH1
DSPODTH1
DPPODTH2
DSPODTH2
DPPODTH3
DSPODTH3
DPBGDTH1
DSBGDTH1
DPBGDTH2
DSBGDTH2
DPSGTDTH
DSSGTDTH
DPBRSDTH
DSBRSDTH
DPPOSACT
DSPOSACT
DPBGACT
DSBGACT
DPDMACT
DSDMACT
DPNOWAY
DSNOWAY
DPBAREXP
DSBAREXP
DPPUNCH
DSPUNCH
DPTINK
DSTINK
DPBDOPN
DSBDOPN
DPBDCLS
DSBDCLS
DPITMBK
DSITMBK
DPGETPOW
DSGETPOW
D_E1M1
D_E1M2
D_E1M3
D_E1M4
D_E1M5
D_E1M6
D_E1M7
D_E1M8
D_E1M9
D_INTER
D_INTRO
D_VICTOR
D_INTROA

Fraggle, if I'm recalling right, aren't the duplicated sounds different in some way? I remember looking in XWE eons ago and seeing all of them once as playable sounds, and repeated as an ever so slightly different sound file.. One is a WAV and one is a SPEAKERSOUND - What on earth does that mean?

Cire said:

- Don't think blazing doors exists in shareware, if not, than the sounds for those are included and unused

I'm pretty sure about it. They didn't exists when the original Doom was released. The only updated map which does use them is E1M1. That addition is exclusive to Ultimate Doom and was not back ported to the shareware release.

W73A_2 and W73B_1 are identical; as a result FIRELAV2 and FIRELAV3 are identical as well. The textures are defined in the order FIRELAV2, FIRELAV3, FIRELAVA (alphabetically sorted, numbers come before letters) and the animation is defined as going from FIRELAVA to FIRELAV3. The result is that FIRELAV2 is effectively unused by the animation, therefore W73A_2 is unused.

Doomkid said:

Fraggle, if I'm recalling right, aren't the duplicated sounds different in some way? I remember looking in XWE eons ago and seeing all of them once as playable sounds, and repeated as an ever so slightly different sound file.. One is a WAV and one is a SPEAKERSOUND - What on earth does that mean?

If you checked them out in SLADE 3 instead of XWE, you'd be able to hear the difference. :p

Also neither sounds are WAV. The DS sounds are PCM, like (most) WAV files, but they're definitely not WAVs. A WAV file is a RIFF container holding sound data and some metadata; the sounds in Doom have a much simpler, terser header format.

AASHITTY / AASTINKY textures in doom and doom2?

Altought AASTINKY works as a sky texture placeholder (it's a recall from when i first played A Doom Odissey on vanilla doom years ago...) and AASHITTY if you don't use a sky transfer in Boom... and it's a 64x64 version of SP_FACE2

Also there's 3 unused map slots in Doom2 iwad (MAP33 to MAP35)

Well, for sound lumps I guess the quick and dirty explanation is that they didn't want to #ifdef the code or put yet another list of exceptions between registered/shareware/commercial (which would, at best, save but a few lumps), so they just left everything in. Kinda defeated by having each lump twice...unless of course they are simply lump entries aliased to the same data. Did anybody check for this?

Edit: N/M, from a quick and dirty check it seems that not only the lump entries, but the actual data is reduplicated. Who knows, maybe there's a perfectly rational explanation for this...

Maes said:

Well, for sound lumps I guess the quick and dirty explanation is that they didn't want to #ifdef the code or put yet another list of exceptions between registered/shareware/commercial

On the other hand, they could have put an ifdef right in place when they started Doom II and start putting any Doom II exclusives there. No effort at all.

Is the iwad building code part of the DoomEd release? Maybe we could find the answer there?

LogicDeLuxe said:

On the other hand, they could have put an ifdef right in place when they started Doom II and start putting any Doom II exclusives there. No effort at all.

Only that they gradually departed from the philosophy of building separate executables for each version, and by v1.9 they had a unified executable. Actually there are very few #ifdefs in the source code that are not platform-specific (and very few, if any, game mode-specific).

Which means that any game mode-specific stuff was achieved through complicated run-time checks (switches, ifs, etc.), e.g. in the sprite, texture and level loading code, which are already pretty bad kludges as it is.

Maes said:

Only that they gradually departed from the philosophy of building separate executables for each version, and by v1.9 they had a unified executable.

It's not the executable, it's the IWAD what this is about. Thus such an ifdef would be part of the IWAD building tool, not the Doom executable.

walter confalonieri said:

Also there's 3 unused map slots in Doom2 iwad (MAP33 to MAP35)

Nope.

LogicDeLuxe said:

It's not the executable, it's the IWAD what this is about. Thus such an ifdef would be part of the IWAD building tool, not the Doom executable.

My point was that in line of maintaining their NEW!! and IMPROVED!!! unified executable, they would have to include some reduntant resources anyway, so even their IWAD-building tool would have to include them anyway, no matter how they achieved it (ifdeffing the tool itself to death, clever scripting, a giant batch file, or throwing chicken bones until the IWAD assembled itself).

Even that way however, duplicating the sound resources seems useless, unless it had something to do with Doom's internal WAD management being broken in some unexpected way (e.g. it couldn't locate some lumps under certain circumstances, and so duplicating them was used as a kludge around it). But to verify that would require runtime analysis of doom.exe, and see whether both versions of a sound are accessed from the IWAD, under specific circumstances.

Maes said:

My point was that in line of maintaining their NEW!! and IMPROVED!!! unified executable, they would have to include some reduntant resources anyway, so even their IWAD-building tool would have to include them anyway, no matter how they achieved it (ifdeffing the tool itself to death, clever scripting, a giant batch file, or throwing chicken bones until the IWAD assembled itself).

Even that way however, duplicating the sound resources seems useless, unless it had something to do with Doom's internal WAD management being broken in some unexpected way (e.g. it couldn't locate some lumps under certain circumstances, and so duplicating them was used as a kludge around it). But to verify that would require runtime analysis of doom.exe, and see whether both versions of a sound are accessed from the IWAD, under specific circumstances.

It'd be easier to just remove one or the other from a copy of the wad, and see what happens. But even then, it's almost certain that sounds are handled the same way as every other (non-map-data-related) lump in the wad: if multiple lumps with the same name exist, the most recently loaded one will overwrite any earlier instances of the same name.

If there are duplicate assets in the IWADs, it's probably just an oversight in the tools they used to compile all their working directories into WAD files.

walter confalonieri said:

AASHITTY / AASTINKY textures in doom and doom2?

Altought AASTINKY works as a sky texture placeholder (it's a recall from when i first played A Doom Odissey on vanilla doom years ago...) and AASHITTY if you don't use a sky transfer in Boom... and it's a 64x64 version of SP_FACE2

Nope. They're there because the first entry in the textures list is index zero, but zero indicates "no texture" internally to the engine. So the first texture in the list doesn't work.

In a sense they're "unused resources" but it's really only a few bytes in the IWAD since the texture lumps don't contain any actual texture graphic data.

Cire said:

Interesting findings. How about the Heretic/Hexen/Strife WAD:s?

I know the Hexen iwad contains the golden rotating skulls from the Heretic menu. It also contains the music tracks chartr and chap_2r and in v1.0 the extra level maze. Strife I understand contains a number of unused voiceovers.

Gez said:

W73A_2 and W73B_1 are identical; as a result FIRELAV2 and FIRELAV3 are identical as well. The textures are defined in the order FIRELAV2, FIRELAV3, FIRELAVA (alphabetically sorted, numbers come before letters) and the animation is defined as going from FIRELAVA to FIRELAV3. The result is that FIRELAV2 is effectively unused by the animation, therefore W73A_2 is unused.

Well, the texture FIRELAV2 is used a lot when you don't want the animation effect...

Voros said:

What's wrong with it?

These two sprites, PISGD0 and PISGE0, are included in doom2.wad, but they've never used for actual pistol animations.

Voros said:

Oh, so why are they there? Future plans gone wrong?

Sorta, usually during development of games several ideas may pop out and Implemented However they may not all last till the Final Product , Developers didn't remove them because probably they didn't pay attention to them, or they Just forgot about them, they're just some leftovers .

fraggle said:

Nope. They're there because the first entry in the textures list is index zero, but zero indicates "no texture" internally to the engine. So the first texture in the list doesn't work.

In a sense they're "unused resources" but it's really only a few bytes in the IWAD since the texture lumps don't contain any actual texture graphic data.

Ah, ok, get it