Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

New skull cursor

Nice! Although I must say that the new skull cursor from v0.10 is also pretty neat, even if somewhat close to its original counterpart.

andrewj said:

Here is a different one, this time based on the punch sprite

A bit too Addams Family for my liking.

I don't think there's a need to give each Phase a different cursor. The rocket is a nice alternative to the skull, but the skull is more original (not compared to Doom, but as an original piece of work), whereas the rocket recycles an existing sprite.

That said, I like the idea of the rocket being used in FreeDM.

Also I think the hand sprite could be included as a mouse cursor - IIRC ZDoom and maybe some other ports have mouse cursors based on existing graphics from Doom, Heretic and Hexen.

MrFlibble said:

the skull is more original (not compared to Doom, but as an original piece of work), whereas the rocket recycles an existing sprite.

That said, I like the idea of the rocket being used in FreeDM.

this

The hand picture is too tall, it might not be immediately clear which menu item is currently selected. Pointers probably shouldn't be taller than a single menu item.

andrewj said:

Here is a different one, this time based on the punch sprite, but I gave it the finger (not entirely a masterpiece though, perhaps someone can improve it). The gimp XCF of the unscaled image is in the zip.

Wad file and XCF image: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/files/fd_punch3.zip

Pic:
http://oblige.sourceforge.net/shots/fd_punch3_shot.png

Perhaps a little brighter sprite to avoid confusion with background? And how should one animate it? Maybe the hand could be more gory with blood dropping from it? Or infernal demon hand? Or a reptile hand and shiny scales?

I'm not sure, but maybe use robotdog1's pistol sprite for the cursor? Yeah, it'd be like Wolfenstein 3-D, but at least it's not so similar to the Doom cursor. Also it would make use of a nice sprite that is otherwise limited to some source ports.

Soda's skull cursor is quite different from Doom's, and it does look good, but personally I would still prefer something more different than Doom's cursor. A rather moot point until someone makes something better.

raymoohawk said:

it looks nothing like the skulls in doom

I never stated that it is similar in appearance - it isn't. But the concept is similar, and it is my understanding that considering the potential legal issues it is better to be on the safe side and make everything as different as possible.

andrewj said:

Here is a wad replacing the skull cursor with a rocket. I made a quick animation.

I think it works quite well, see what you think.

Looks good. Doom's sprites don't have to be replaced with sprites that represent the exact same thing.

While there's nothing wrong with the rocket sprite as it is, I don't think it fits too well with FreeDoom's theme. The current skull cursor is in need of fixes to its proportions though, imo.