Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MrFlibble

PrBoom/+ don't use extra menu item lumps

While testing various ports for the BEX/DEH issue I also noticed that both PrBoom and PrBoom+ (latest Win32 versions) ignore the extra menu text lumps in the IWADs, using built-in lumps based on the Doom menu font:

Conversely, MBF and Boom have no problems using the Freedoom lumps:

This seems like a pretty serious issue, has this always been the case? I know this should probably be reported to PrBoom+ maintainers (TBH I don't know if this project is being updated), but it seems weird to me that a feature works fine in older forks and doesn't in newer. I doubt that it was deliberately disabled.

I also had the impression that PrBoom/+ is one of the more widespread ports that are used to run Freedoom.

MrFlibble said:

I know this should probably be reported to PrBoom+ maintainers (TBH I don't know if this project is being updated)

Yep, and entryway who AFAIK is the only PrBoom+ maintainer, is quite active.

Gez said:

ZDoom loads its support data first, IWAD second.

A good idea.

Looked at prboom-plus.wad and I don't see anything which is meant to replace something in the IWADs.

Yeah I meant to file a PrBoom/+ bug about this but never got round to it

Clearly prboom-plus.wad should be loaded first

Isn't there an autoload function? To load specific files in a sequence?

I only use PrBoom+ on D-Touch, and noticed that options menu part a lot, but I just ignore it.

Can't it be written in the prboom - plus.cfg somehow?

Actually entryway said that future versions will use the small font from the IWAD for the menu items instead of using pre-generated lumps built with the copyrighted Doom menu font. I asked if the functionality to load extra text lumps from Freedoom if available could be kept, but there has been no feedback on that yet.

You can do that now, there is a compile-time option --disable-nonfree-graphics that builds a prboom-plus.wad without any Doom font menu lumps, so those in the freedoom IWADs won't be overridden.