Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redrage

Doom 2016 has a compass!

Turns out doom 2016 has a compass. The only use I can imagine is for displaying waypoints to guide the player to the next "directive". Ah well :)

They did a good job of hiding it/turning it off (perhaps in post?) for the E3 showing but it glitches into view after the hellknight does a hulk smash in the hell segment. Its one frame long.

Here is the exact time (you probably have to rewind a bit and let it run to see it).

https://youtu.be/QiinO9JPUGw?t=1024

Here is the frame itself:

Don't ask me how I noticed this... ^_^

There is a possibility of an automap if you can choose your own markers. That or it will be very linear and markers are placed as soon as you reach your next objective. Still, a compass suggests a need to use it no? Like large and open non linear maps.

Compass, nice find!

More evidence to supporting the non linear level gaming of Doom 2016.

Makes sense really for a soldier to have a compass, especially in uncharted territory. ..

Lets see how many discoveries were made:
- Pinky Demon's return
- Soulsphere
- Compass
- Baron of Hell returns
- SSG's return
- Double jumping
- Classic door sound
- Jumping the gun...
- Spiky imps are back
- No falling damage
- No reload
- No regen health
- No glimpse of Doomguy's face
- and others i dont know/dont remember

Yep, Classic Doom reincarnation.

@Chezza
I forgot about the ability to set your own markers on the map in the original Dooms! That would be a pretty good reason for a HUD compass. I think its a given there will be some sort of automap.

Lets hope the compass won't be used to just chain objectives in a linear fashion; that would be the worst outcome. I certainly don't see it as prove the maps will be complex. To me its more indicative of a level of hand holding which I really don't want to see in Doom. The fact it seems they hid it indicates id themselves understand it could be a controversial choice.

If it only shows your own markers that would be a fine use for it though. :)

@Voros
Jumping the gun mate?

If there will be Berserk pack - i wish this will work as power glove with super smash affect.
Compass is popular decision but in Id games it first i guess...

What I'd like to see is a powerup that shows where enemies are on your compass.
You know how the Computer Map would give you an outline of the whole level?
What if there was one that gave you little blips on your compass, possibly using different letters/colors to seperate types of monster, or threat level, and it would tell you where they were.

Maybe it could even put them on the Automap.

Game shouldn't be linear really, based on my level design analysis of the factory level. And since id confirmed you can even jump down the catwalks and continue exploring from there.

To be honest, I could understand if the compass serves as a replacement for the automap considering how much of a pain in the ass it is to implement something like that in a complex 3D environment. So this is at least good enough to give you a bearing of where everything is in relation to the direction you're facing.

Jaxxoon R said:

To be honest, I could understand if the compass serves as a replacement for the automap considering how much of a pain in the ass it is to implement something like that in a complex 3D environment. So this is at least good enough to give you a bearing of where everything is in relation to the direction you're facing.

The type of compass displayed is 2D. If the argument is well you can't do an automap because it would be too hard to do it in 3D, putting a compass in instead is silly. They both have the same limitation, they don't show you elevation.

I'm afraid redrage is right about what it probably indicates, especially given that they chose to hide it. If it had some cool use, they probably would've showed it off. Oh well, maybe the player can turn it off as well.

Face23785 said:

If the argument is well you can't do an automap because it would be too hard to do it in 3D, putting a compass in instead is silly.

I'm saying that doing a map that reveals itself as you go along depending on what part of the level the player character can currently see like the original Doom games did is a huge pain in the ass to implement into a complex environment and its understandable if they wouldn't want to do that. It's not impossible by any means, the Ratchet & Clank series is a testimate to that, but in my experience it's hardly necessary since I never use the map anyways.

There's also a bit where the manc comes through the door, and the missile attachment is added to the machine gun, as the missiles are fired, so does the manc and as the player is hit, a bunch of little white squares appear in the top left corner. I think that compass thing pops up too.

Azuruish said:

If there will be Berserk pack - i wish this will work as power glove with super smash affect.

I'm hoping it's an actual narcotic and not some stupid helmet and blur effect. The scream was a neat idea, but compiling many screams was stupid. I just want the screen to turn red and Rip and Tearâ„¢ away at biomass with my human hands. That's what made the original Berserk satisfying, no techno gimmicks.

AwesomeO-789 said:

What would the berserk power up actually do though? Allow you to perform the melee executions without having to damage the enemy first?

I would imagine it would boost your melee damage and allow you to commence finishing moves with only a couple hits on all moderate to weaker creatures. Perhaps a normal bunch and stun / stagger a demon much more easier. You probably could get a health bonus from doing it too. Maybe some additional unique kill moves for it as well.

I can't find the compass in the picture in the original post. Does it show anything else besides the direction you're going? Does it also show the direction of your next mission objective? If so, well I've never seen this as something cool. It usually meant that despite your freedom of movement (if it even existed), the only action was going to be in the indicated direction. Straying from the path would just result in emptiness and reminders that you should get back. It was too much like real life trekking.

printz said:

I can't find the compass in the picture in the original post. Does it show anything else besides the direction you're going? Does it also show the direction of your next mission objective? If so, well I've never seen this as something cool. It usually meant that despite your freedom of movement (if it even existed), the only action was going to be in the indicated direction. Straying from the path would just result in emptiness and reminders that you should get back. It was too much like real life trekking.

Top center. It is difficult to see.

printz said:

Yeah cos the compass in Fallout games have always meant that there's a really linear direction and exploration is discouraged.

printz said:

Yeah, I hope there isn't waypoints in this game, and I doubt there will be. We should only have to worry about getting to the next area, and if we want to explore further to get goodies, then cool. Having objectives would slow the game down.

Face23785 said:

The type of compass displayed is 2D. If the argument is well you can't do an automap because it would be too hard to do it in 3D, putting a compass in instead is silly. They both have the same limitation, they don't show you elevation.

I'm afraid redrage is right about what it probably indicates, especially given that they chose to hide it. If it had some cool use, they probably would've showed it off. Oh well, maybe the player can turn it off as well.

There's a big difference between an auto/minimap that at some point will draw the entire level's geometry and a compass that simply points to a predefined point in the level.

AirRaid said:

You guys are clearly fucking blind. I have annotated the screengrab in the OP.

Well, when I read compass I expected to see a spinning arrow on a circle. Alright then, fair enough.

Yes, but in this instance that name refers to hairs which are crossed over each other, not hairs on a cross.