Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

Spicy Evil Spaghetti (From Hell) - v1.3 - Now on /idgames!

spaghetti.png
A weird n' tasty battleground!

17H9t6C.png

3nrg4Mm.png

Single-map
Port required: ZDoom.
Difficulties: YES!
Coop: Partially.

Tested without freelook.
Software mode recommended

DOWNLOAD (1.3)
/IDGAMES

BE AWARE: You'll need to figure out how to get health!

14/01/06:
This is probably the final version:
- A proper title screen and music
- New HUD with yummy colors
- Some visual tweaks (more roundness!)
- A coop attempt, partially tested.
- /idgames release!

Have fun and thanks!

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_0023333d5a1.md.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_0024028c8b7.md.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_002644_021fd3d.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_002702_01b0917.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_00285558f93.md.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_003011_02065c4.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_0030405648f.md.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_002535_01ff8e4.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_003546_0352049.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_003606_021b25a.

Screenshot_Doom_20151228_003629_04aece2.

CREDITS:

Spoiler

Music by The Good Lawdz. It's copyright-free.

Hi-res SFX by Perkristian.

Textures by Rottking, Printz, Cage, NiGHTMARE, Scuba Steve and 3d Realms.
If I'm forgetting someone, please tell me and sorry in advance.

Thanks to Suitepee for his streaming

Edited by Noiser

Because it'll be bordered on one side by a map with broken nodes as a gimmick and on the other with memes

On 12/26/2015 at 4:52 PM, Jaxxoon R said:

I don't understand the decision to not include the well-playing jokemap in the jokewad.

Sorry, I just think this worked better as a regular map. I'm making another one for the WOOO 3, but will be something completely different.

[edit]
for the sake of context:

Spoiler

So, a time ago I was making a weird map for the WOOO 3 project. But, after testing I started to like it. So I decided to polish it, expand the map concept and turning my joke-map into a decent single-map.

Edited by Noiser

And just to be clear: This is not a joke-map (despite the comical aspect). I would love to see some feedback about the thing itself.

fraggle said:

Knock it off, this isn't Tumblr or 4chan.

I'd do the thumbs up thing but can't find the "like" button anywhere. Agreeable, either way.

Anyway - Noiser, in all seriousness it would be cool if you could make something outta it. Personally I detest joke wads like Woo. There is enough shitty maps in existance already, as the saying goes. Why someone would want to put any kind of time into an intentionally crappy map instead of creating something with substance, just doesn't click for me.

More opinions: If one want to make something creative and funny, the doom selfie stick is a good example. That's innovative and hilarious. A crude map with crude textures is on par with laughing at someones burp...and it's a tired joke by now.

In that sense you should be further encouraged instead of victimized by my drunk posting. Here's to sobriety and Evil Spaghetti maps with UDMF trickery!

j4rio said:

Also, when's alien vendetta 2?

Probably sooner than the completion of Mordeth, yet slightly later than world peace. :)

I just played this map. I first wasn't sure what to expect, I haven't played these so called "joke-wads" really (except few obviously crappy ones).

This map though, was awesome and fun! It was quality-joke, looked cool and believable in a way. Difficulty is quite a lot though on UV. Not much health given to player, had to struggle with 4HP by savestates a little before the orange key already. The level design could've been bit more clear though as I got stuck on some small platforms bit too often, flow wasn't good all the time.

Good job on this one Noiser!

Andy Johnsen said:

Personally I detest joke wads like Woo. There is enough shitty maps in existance already, as the saying goes. Why someone would want to put any kind of time into an intentionally crappy map instead of creating something with substance, just doesn't click for me.

Thank you. It needed to be said.

I dont know for sure if noisers map is totally a joke though

On 2015-12-27 at 6:57 AM, Andy Johnsen said:

Anyway - Noiser, in all seriousness it would be cool if you could make something outta it. Personally I detest joke wads like Woo. There is enough shitty maps in existance already, as the saying goes. Why someone would want to put any kind of time into an intentionally crappy map instead of creating something with substance, just doesn't click for me.

Honestly I'm proud of the visuals\gameplay, but I wanted to hear some feedback to know if I'm on the right track or not. As I said, it's not a joke-map and I don't designed it to be "crappy". The design was made to be wacky like an Earthworm Jim level. Not that I'm angry or anything, but instead of ironic posts, try the goddawn thing for a proper feedback (all negative, if needed). Think about it, your attitude is not that different from the crappy-maps that you are criticizing.

On 2015-12-27 at 7:49 AM, SotaPoika said:

I just played this map. I first wasn't sure what to expect, I haven't played these so called "joke-wads" really (except few obviously crappy ones).

This map though, was awesome and fun! It was quality-joke, looked cool and believable in a way. Difficulty is quite a lot though on UV. Not much health given to player, had to struggle with 4HP by savestates a little before the orange key already. The level design could've been bit more clear though as I got stuck on some small platforms bit too often, flow wasn't good all the time.

Good job on this one Noiser!

Thanks. Yes, maybe I need to tone down on UV. I made it above my own skill because I'm aware that I'm not a Doom expert. But without save states I recommend lower difficulties. Every time that I play a new map, HMP is my favorite choice, so I tried to make this difficulty more suitable for me as a player.

About health, that's the gimmicky part! What I can say is that, actually, the map has a lot of stimpacks. Things can get better after you figure out how to get them!

Edited by Noiser

Noiser said:

I'm not angry or anything, but just play the goddawn thing and give me your feedback (all negative, if you want) instead of making ironic posts. If you stop to think, your atittude is not that different of the crappy-maps that you are criticizing.

Noiser - yes, I gave the map a go :) Its not nearly as bad as one would expect from a former Wooo-candidate.

Of course, with your presentation and the maps title and the screenshots posted initially you opened the door for logical assumptions of its quality.

As for some input on a few things, if you have interest in it;

I like the organic shapes and lack of squareness, and the fact that you've melted the pink and white snakeskin by adding sufficient borders and trims. The red key portion is alright too, with a bit of an "overrun" base feel to it. All in all a usable starter for what could turn into a nice map.

If you want to elevate the depth of each room, I'd consider changing the light-level on almost every sector, since you have a lot of soft shapes here, and a mix of textures, that's bound to look good (think Sunlust).

I couldn't spot the UDFM required effect off hand, but it is generally a bad idea to opt for specific compatibilities on account of very few effects, unless it has a great impact on the map.

The sky doesn't work for me, nor does the cute Caco on a fork - perhaps it would be amusing as an Easter egg given the sky and the title of the map, tho. Preferences, preferences.

I'd widen the space around the rocket launcher as it's almost possible to get around it, but the space is just too narrow (although I suspect one could get stuck).

Was never a fan of the raising and lowering floors both on account of noise intrusion and the gameplay dynamics of them.

I'm not angry either btw, there's way more important stuff in the world to be angry about :) Ironic posts on Evil Spagetthi maps are probably counterproductive unless one add some meat to it, true enough!

Serious wads are made for others to enjoy. Joke wads are made when the author wants to actually have a good time mapping. That's the gist of it I think.

IMO, "jokewad" doesn't necessarily mean "a bad joke of a wad". It's any wad that tries to amuse players at least as much (if not more) than to merely entertain them by gameplay and visuals.

On 2015-12-27 at 10:41 AM, Andy Johnsen said:

I couldn't spot the UDFM required effect off hand, but it is generally a bad idea to opt for specific compatibilities on account of very few effects, unless it has a great impact on the map.

I prefer the classic format too. But it has a great impact, or I would not change it for sure.

On 2015-12-27 at 10:41 AM, Andy Johnsen said:

I'd widen the space around the rocket launcher as it's almost possible to get around it, but the space is just too narrow (although I suspect one could get stuck).

I found it better to use invisible lines to prevent this instead of make it larger, because this area was made to be a danger spot. You will not get stucked anyway.

Edited by Noiser

Played on hmp, no saves until the mancubi part (man, i suck at dodging mancubi's shots). Cool concept nicely executed, i liked the idea to use harmless cacoes to protect the stimpacks and the closet that open if you kill all the mancubi. Good map.

Map updated (changes on UV, one or two tweaks).

Ok, maybe I should upload this to idgames. Any advise before a final release? Btw, I recorded a video on HMP, but I think it's better wait to not turning it to a general spoiler. There these shots anyway.

Suitepee said:

I'll add this to my upcoming playtesting session.

Nice, this will be really interesting.

Cacowad said:

Played on hmp, no saves until the mancubi part (man, i suck at dodging mancubi's shots). Cool concept nicely executed, i liked the idea to use harmless cacoes to protect the stimpacks and the closet that open if you kill all the mancubi. Good map.

Thanks! The idea was to put pressure on player whenever he wanted health or ammo. I tried to be more generous with ammo, but health are only available through specific methods. I was a bit insecure if people would approve it or not.

My bad for double posting, but after seeing the Suitepee stream I decided to update it again.

Major changes:

- The "hint" are now bigger
- Some hell knights changed to deaf
- Tweaks here and there
- Floor HOMs fixed (hopefully)

And now, a question: Is coop a good idea? I never tried it before. If it is, what kind of changes are important for you? Can I assume that players will config itens to respawn quickly?

And most important: Will weapons stay after picked-up?

(Next update probably will be the last one)

In coop you can assume that health and ammo items will respawn. So extra monsters, or even a Cyberdemon can be of good taste if used properly.

Ok, sorry for the lateness. v1.3 and /idgames released! This probably will be the final version, more info and links on first post.

Thanks to everybody and have fun!

(yummy yummy)

Not intended to bump (for real), but I forgot:

https://youtu.be/Dw4MBDMgd5M

A playthrough on HMP-MAX. It's an outdated version, but I think it can be useful for someone who are having problems to beat this. If you want to solve the brief "riddle" by yourself, don't watch it. Actually, you shouldn't watch it before playing at all.

I don't remember making any of those textures, but thanks for mentioning me anyway.