Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkwisgaarScampini

New Map; need feedback?

I'm new to the forums, and rather new to building maps in doom builder...

I have a map I've recently created that's basically finished, I just need other people to give me feedback, instead of judging it for myself

Here's the download...

It uses 3 wads for textures (Doom, Doom 2, and Doom2: The Plutonia Experiment)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d1l8mtw671p5p21/The+Alpha+Chambers.wad

Cool, just provide us with a little more information. What's the required sourceport or the one that you use to play it? Like Chocolate Doom or Zandronum or GZDoom etc.

And which Doom should we run this wad on? If any particular one is required.

How do you rate the difficulty and size of the map?

I'm sorry, like I said, totally new to this lol

GZdoom is the sourceport, and it should be run through Doom 2

As far as the map itself, I would say its a small-medium sized map, very difficult from pistol start ( it will be part of a MEGAWAD) and the only difficulty currently integrated is Ultra-Violence...

I probably should of added all of this info from the start

Chezza said:

Cool, just provide us with a little more information. What's the required sourceport or the one that you use to play it? Like Chocolate Doom or Zandronum or GZDoom etc.

And which Doom should we run this wad on? If any particular one is required.

How do you rate the difficulty and size of the map?

He used Hexen map format. (G)Zdoom

I recommend to use Freedom2.wad for it.

Well, I downloaded the map and the first problem was to actually get it running. It would've helped if you specified that it uses map slot 06. Anyway, I got it running, although using three Iwads to load textures is a hassle, so I got a lot of missing textures. There are also quite a few texture alignment issues.

Also, the map is extremely tough, but for the wrong reasons IMO. Traps that clutter the area with mid- to high-tier enemies and no ammo to go around is not cool. I can appreciate a challenge, but it just felt cheap at times.

Gameplay is more puzzle than combat, meaning there aren't a lot of ways to approach each area given the limited ammo you have. Some people probably like that stuff, but I certainly don't. It gets better once you leave the first arena and you get your hands on some ammo.

The method to progress from the start is not at all obvious, you have to kill two Hell Knights, who aren't even there from the start and you aren't guaranteed to trigger their appearance immedeately. It doesn't help that there's little ammo, so a player might not want to "waste" ammo on the Hell Knights.

I also managed to get stuck in this location:
http://i.imgur.com/DViQiI1.png?1
The pit on the other side looks inescapable as well, which is never a good thing.

Now, that may sound like a lot of critiscism, and it is. I don't think it's a bad map; there are some good ideas here, but it could use some work.

Well it is supposed to be part of a megawad, so the ammo and health is actually almost perfectly balanced in that way, considering you will have some leftover ammo and armor from the previous map, if all goes well....I should post my 6 map megawad(what I have of the megawad so far) so it is easier to play, but I don't want my maps to be very easy from pistol start...as for the pits, I do need to fix those, and I did specify the 3 wads needed to see all of the textures....thanks for the feedback man! =)