Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tjkoller

e4 m1 secrets

This will take time to explain so hang in there. Playin thy flesh lvl 1 behind the red door i see a goat wall on both sides of the room. When I take the blue key I hear demons and imps behind the right wall but the wall stay solid. the imps can shhot out of it I can kill everthing behind the wall but can't go thru the wall. When I spacebar the one candle to expose the letters I can hear barons behind the other wall. Again thay can't leave the room but can shhot thru. I run across the letters and out the door. I hit the face switch to lower the wall but both goat walls stay up. I kill the barons behind the wall but still cannot get into either room. I've found the area with the rocket launcher and the room with the 2 teleporters but when I exit I look at the map and i seem to have been everywhere but only get 50 % secrets .where are the other secrets Thanks for any help

Spoiler

The second secret is in the open area with the poison water.

From the beginning of the map, walk forwards, picking up the shotgun and ammo, and continue to walk forwards, falling into the poison.

Walk forward, and then face east, by the last pillar. Hit open and a lift will fall. You will find a rocket launcher and some teleporters. I think you need to go through both for 100%.

If you are good you can hit the lift switch just by standing on it.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej9f227sm3Y

Another thing: on the player's right at 1:20, there is a hidden wall you can open from the other side only, however this does not count as a secret.

this is abit off topic, but I'm curious.

Spoiler

This is from Evilution.

On Map29, after passing through the blood passage,
you come to this temple like place, containing cacodemons.
In this level, there are four torches, with one being green, the rest being blue.
When pressing use on the green candle, it comes down, then goes back up, like a lift.
But that's all that happens (I don't know what's happening after it comes down, like a nearby secret, a hidden door opening, etc)

Spoiler

If you were ever curious about a particular map's secrets which you couldn't find, you can open the automap, type IDDT cheat for a full map, then go to your port's display options to make it always display secrets, and find all purple colored sectors on the map (or whatever color the port uses to mark secret areas). Alternatively, open the map in a map editor and search for all sectors with sector effect 9.

I prefer no cheats, unless I'm testing new wads.

But it is very baffling that I can't see anything on my surrounding that changes and yet the torch comes down.

I found the lift with the rocket launcher and the room to the side with the 2 teleporters. I can't find where the other secrets are. I use allmap cheat and it looks like i've explored the whole level

E4M1 used to shock me twice: first for having a baron of hell in any skill higher than 2 (how am I supposed to kill it with just this ammo???) and second

Spoiler

because of the creepy NIN trap.

Fuck.

I really like when maps have terrible secrets, mappers should do this more often.

tjkoller said:

e4 m1

THE SPACE BETWEEN THE TWO IS FUCKING KILLING ME
Think of perfectionists please!

At least the meaning remained intact so that nobody missed or misunderstood it, so it can't be that bad. People occasionally write "map 01" too and there is no problem.

Voros, it's sad that I know this off the top of my head, but when you hit that green torch outside of the building (left side of door I think) in MAP29 of TNT you need to run over to the opposite side (right side of door) to find another lift that takes you to I think a SS, or it might be a green armor.

The clue is that candle-lift. You can hit it as many times as you like and see what the timing is on it. Then hit it and go run around for the couple seconds it's down and try to find the real lift.

scifista42 said:

People occasionally write "map 01" too and there is no problem.

You don't know what you're talking about!

Thanks Fonze!

E4M1 is crazy IMO. Maybe it was meant to be played on ITYTD for a normal expierance. I barely made it out of e4m1 and that was on ITYTD. And got stuck on e4m2 (on Dosbox), because I didn't hold down shift to sprint. I recently checked e4m2 on HMP, and told myself "fuck".

Voros said:

Thanks Fonze!

E4M1 is crazy IMO. Maybe it was meant to be played on ITYTD for a normal expierance. I barely made it out of e4m1 and that was on ITYTD. And got stuck on e4m2 (on Dosbox), because I didn't hold down shift to sprint. I recently checked e4m2 on HMP, and told myself "fuck".

I just beat Thy Flesh Consumed on UV for the first time, it wasn't as bad as I expected and I'm only an average-skilled player.

E4M1 is hard for a first episode map, it feels more like a 3rd or 4th map. It's not too bad once you've played through it a few times and know what to expect. You just have to be really careful with your ammo usage if you're going for 100% kills. I think it might be possible to take out every monster without getting the secrets, but I had to get the rocket launcher to finish off the baron. I also played it really safe at the beginning, mostly staying in cover while I picked off the imps and shotgun guys in the first area. I didn't find the second secret but I probably could have used it since I was out of shells and only had a few rockets left at the end of the level.

E4M2 is one of those maps that becomes a lot easier once you figure out where all the monsters and traps are, usually by dying several times.
You just need to pick a route to minimize the damage you're taking and keep moving, at least until you have enough firepower to take out the wave of monsters at the beginning.
The most trouble I had was that I kept falling off the ledges into the lava. I think I died more times that way than from the enemies.

The maps after E4M2 were very easy, mostly because by then you have a better arsenal and there is a lot more ammo provided. I didn't even realize I was at the boss level since I remember it only being one spider mastermind which I find easier to kill than a cyberdemon.