Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

Walking up and down walls

Is it possible to walk up walls?

I'm making a map, in GZDoom Builder with Doom 2 in UDMF format and I was wondering if instead of lifts and teleports, is there a way to walk up and down walls?

Originally I had and invisible lift system, to fake out a ladder, where you press the back wall, it lifts you by a certain amount (For some reason this was the only one that worked) then when you walk off you go over another line that lowers it so it can be used again. But I soon thought up of the problem that falling off will mean the lift stays up, and if you keep pressing the wall you go into the sky and if you go over the lowering line multiple times the lift ends up in the floor.

So I'd like to know, is there a way I can make it so the wall can just be scaled up? I don't want to use teleports, I want this to look like the ladder is being used.

One-unit-thick steps with a ladder texture (e.g. the stock "STEPLAD") will work.

You can indent it in the wall so that the slope isn't apparent when viewed from side angles.

If you're mapping for ZDoom (in Hexen or UDMF format), use ThrustThingZ special activated by bumping into a linedef. Set its first, third and fourth parameter to 0, and the second parameter to the intended speed value.

rdwpa said:

One-unit-thick steps with a ladder texture (e.g. the stock "STEPLAD") will work.

You can indent it in the wall so that the slope isn't apparent when viewed from side angles.

This may be quite tricky on a tall building.
http://postimg.org/image/9jz3eed4z

scifista42 said:

If you're mapping for ZDoom (in Hexen or UDMF format), use ThrustThingZ special activated by bumping into a linedef. Set its first, third and fourth parameter to 0, and the second parameter to the intended speed value.

Ahh I shall try this. I'm mapping for GZDoom.

*Edit*

And it works like a charm thank you! Getting up and down over rooftops is nice and easy now.

I'm not sure if I'm providing a valid tip bit have you tried slopes? A way up and down places other than stairs, ladders and lift can be ramps.

Select a linedef in UDMF, point the center line at the direction you want sloped and choose special 181 Plane Aligned (Sloped) and select both or either floor and ceiling to be sloped. Lower and raise the level of the sector to see if it's sloping. If it's not doing it then press Tab to see if 3D (and slopes) view mode were toggles on or off.

How did KDiZD do it in Z1M3? Movement is really smooth there, it really feels like you're climbing a ladder.

Chezza said:

I'm not sure if I'm providing a valid tip bit have you tried slopes? A way up and down places other than stairs, ladders and lift can be ramps.

Select a linedef in UDMF, point the center line at the direction you want sloped and choose special 181 Plane Aligned (Sloped) and select both or either floor and ceiling to be sloped. Lower and raise the level of the sector to see if it's sloping. If it's not doing it then press Tab to see if 3D (and slopes) view mode were toggles on or off.

I have a fair few slopes in the map, for bridges and things. But for buildings and that more believable look, I think ladders are the way to go.

45° is the cutoff at which slopes are no longer climbable in ZDoom. So unless you want the building to look like a pyramid, that's not how you're going to make climbable walls.

printz said:

How did KDiZD do it in Z1M3? Movement is really smooth there, it really feels like you're climbing a ladder.