Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Doom 1 Episode 1 - your favorite level?

torn between E1M3 and E1M5 for my favorites. Lots of monsters, lots of fun. I can never understand why E1M7 gets more love than those. I think the reason I don't like it much is because it's after E1M6, and I personally don't find that fun when I play it, so I'm worn out when I reach the next map.

Getsu Fune said:

I can never understand why E1M7 gets more love than those.

Many windows between different areas, sights across extensive outdoors and indoor nukage lakes, elements of semi-realism (while still abstract like the other maps, this map particularly appears like a building with a purpose), somewhat ominous music and atmosphere, while the E1 design/texturing style remains unified as always.

scifista42 said:

Many windows between different areas, sights across extensive outdoors and indoor nukage lakes, elements of semi-realism (while still abstract like the other maps, this map particularly appears like a building with a purpose), somewhat ominous music and atmosphere, while the E1 design/texturing style remains unified as always.

You're right about this. It definitely made an impression on my younger self for all the reasons you mentioned above and more. It was also a fairly challenging map at the time, appropriately so, since it was before the boss fight. I'd have to say it ranks second in my book after E1M4.

E1M7 > E1M5 > E1M3 > E1M4 > E1M2 > E1M1 > E1M6 > E1M9 > E1M8

Not accounting for present ideals of gameplay, or what I'd have fun playing now -- haven't played E1 in ages.

AD_79 said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

no

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Did you know that John Romero built the level Perfect Hatred in six hours?

E1M9. I loved that level from the first time I played it. I remember when I was 11 and had discovered Doom for the first time, and I only had access to the demo. I played it several times before I found out there was a secret level. I remember how stoked I was.

As Archie Bunker's wife Edith would say, "THOSE WERE THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS *gargles up esophagus*".

AD_79 said:

I honestly don't get your undying love for that map. Sure, it's solid, but is it really that good? Better than every other IWAD, or at least UDoom, map?

I believe it to be better than every map ever created.

Phobos Lab, Toxin Refinery and Computer Station, basically the ones in the demos. Classic design and flow and the best music in the episode, really captures the essence of Doom. Honorable mention to Phobos Anomaly for my memories of the two Barons and of course the music.

E1M3. Great secrets to explore and the music sets a notably darker tone than the first two maps. I think that's the most nostalgic MIDI from classic Doom, it's so basic yet so eerie.

My opinions on this change frequently, but for now I'd say E1M3 and E1M5 are tied with E1M7 getting an honorable mention.

E1M7 gets points for being an excellent example of the use of windows, explorability and inter-connectivity, but E1M3 and E1M5 feel far more deliberately thought out in their designs and make every square inch of space that they have -- in E1M3 you have the opening room, the puzzles for the secrets, the donut platform, the yellow key trap and the raising staircase at the exit. In E1M5 you have the rising ledge to the yellow key with the window looking into the other end of the map, the hidden-away pentagram teleporter, the two layers of traps (monster closets and then lowering platforms) in the area with the switch that opens up the second half of the map, and the strobing dark room just before the exit.

They're the two levels that, IMO, mark the beginning of the evolution between Romero's E1 maps and his E4/Doom 2 maps.

e1m6 for me. it feels the most "narrative" of the first seven maps. almost every area strikes me as being very memorable & distinct, and i like the opening as well. e1m3 and e1m7 are not too far behind - but a lot of the e1 maps feel like continuations of each other, whereas e1m6 feels kind of like it's own thing to me.

E1M1 for dat music.
E1M2 has this kind of flow for me, like i go careening around the corners nailing every shot i take. Chalking it up to the fact that I had to play the shareware episode for 5 years before i got the full game.

Probably E1M7. Sprawling, dark nightmare with lots of great encounters, monsters wandering through the halls keeping things fresh, and a great finish.

For nothing other than nostalgia purposes, e1m4 is my favourite. There was something about that level that stuck with me as a kid and is what lead me to re-boot Doom back up to experience it again.

Very tough choice, but if I have to, I'll go with E1M5: Phobos Labs. Foreboding music, a few evil ambushes and some areas bereft of light. You can really feel that you are getting close to the source of the invasion. A sane man would turn around, but you're out of choices, so...