Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Doom 1 Episode 1 - your favorite level?

E1M1, just because I have so many fond memories of it as a kid who snuck shareware doom onto their computer.
I actually really don't like E1M2, Always run through it as fast as possible
E1M3 is based lord

Hard to pick up for me which one its my favorite, but im going with E1M3 too, its the map i recall play more when i used to be a 5 years old doomer. and mostly for the music in the map.

E1 sucks, but E1M9 is the least bad.

Second place would be whichever one it is that has that big dark room ambush at the end. One of the few high spots of a dull episode. Third would be E1M8, just for thematic whimsy.

E1M2

I played the shareware version of doom as a kid, and the level that sticks out the most is the second. The ambient noises of the demons used to scare me and it would make me not want to explore the map. It still remains as my favourite games of all time because of this.

Cynical said:

E1 sucks, but E1M9 is the least bad.

Second place would be whichever one it is that has that big dark room ambush at the end. One of the few high spots of a dull episode. Third would be E1M8, just for thematic whimsy.

Your name fits you well. :p

E1M6

I first played this level on SNES, i still remember my first time in, dark atmosphere, scary music. This level marveled me back then, the invisibility (i didnt know what it was at the time) puzzled me, i wanted to reach it, find the way outside, same goes for the area with damage floor and the SS/Mega armor the fact you could see this area throughout the whole map fascinated me.

I was quite proud when i found how to access these places.

Shanoa said:

E1M6

I first played this level on SNES...

E1M6 SNES Doom = E1M7 PC Doom, FYI. PC E1M6 was omitted in SNES Doom.

Nuxius said:

E1M6 SNES Doom = E1M7 PC Doom, FYI. PC E1M6 was omitted in SNES Doom.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Thank you~

Very close between E1M5 and E1M7. I'd say E1M7 just about scrapes it, because as a child playing Doom I always saw it in the inbuilt demos, but could never get to the level as I didn't know the cheats and I kept dying on E1M6 :)

E1M2. It has my favorite level design, great monster placement...and I can remember the first time I laid eyes on that beautiful chainsaw and instantly needed it.

Piper Maru said:

E1M3: Toxin Refinery, with Computer Station as a follow up.

Toxin Refinery felt very empty at times. Maybe it was the Music.

My favorite map would be the last one, Phobos Anomaly.

Tuaam said:

Toxin Refinery felt very empty at times. Maybe it was the Music.

Agreed, all maps in episode 1 are good, but the music ruined some of them. Im talking mostly about E1M7 - great map, but the music is so annoying and pressuring.

Anyway, my favourite map would probably be E1M6. It has the most monsters in it.

My favorite map is Phobos Anomaly otherwise known as E1M8. Because you enter and you shoot the barrels and the Pinkies blow up.

You gear up and you pick up a lot of ammo for your weapons and pick up some health, armour, and the like.

You hear the ominous music playing, it's a long hallway, you get on board the lift, you see the two doors open, and the Barons of Hell appear.

Now when I was four years old.... that was terrifying. Doom Shareware left an impression on me like no other game.

I had nightmares for weeks, just because of how terrifying and scary the Barons of Hell were! *laughs*

I remember I always pictured them as having the body build of Arnold Schwarzenegger meets a T-Rex head (from Jurassic Park) with goat horns on it, and then goat legs, and combining that with the Baron's colour scheme.

At least that's how I pictured the Baron to look back then. =P

Pretty sure that seems laughable, but for me back then it was pretty scary.

After killing the two Barons, you proceed through the teleporter, get killed and well...

It's just...

I don't know how to explain Doom E1M8.

It conjures up memories of summers, where I'd have the fans on and I'd hear the humming of the fans along with the ominous music, and I swear I'd always pictured that map having fog.

Even when it didn't have white fog, I always pictured it as being a foggy map.

Maybe it's just me and my memory though. lol

Sorry if this post might be a bit long, and if it's a bit personal. =P

It's just Phobos Anomaly has such a deep connection to me, and it's probably one of my favorite Doom maps besides Containment Area and Hell Keep; though I also like Dis and Deimos Lab as well. =)

For me:
9: Nuclear Plant (E1M2)
8: Computer Station (E1M7)
7: Hanger (E1M1)
6: Phobos Anomaly (E1M8)
5: Military Base (E1M9)
4: Command Control (E1M4)
3: Central Processing (E1M6)
2: Phobos Lab (E1M5)
1: Toxin Refinery (E1M3)

E1M7 all the way for me. :)

Here's a tally of the votes so far...

E1M7: 14.83 votes [printz; Marcaek; RUSH; Psycho11704; DooM_RO (½); Graf Zahl; rdwpa; joe-ilya; jerk-o (½); Cyanosis (⅓); Plasma Gun; dethtoll; Job (½); Nuxius; Shanoa; quackbal; savagegrant]
E1M3: 13.83 votes [Piper Maru; Combinebobnt; AD_79; wheresthebeef (½); Voros; RightField; scifista42; Getsu Fune (½); Cyanosis (⅓); Patrol1985; Soldier993 (½); Doomkid; Marnetmar (½); RoyBatty; Z0k; Jeffo2448 (½); Scottland89]
E1M5: 10.83 votes [Shadow Hog (½); DMPhobos; yakfak; wheresthebeef (½); DooM_RO (½); TheOrganGrinder; Getsu Fune (½); Cyanosis (⅓); Soldier993 (½); gaspe; Marnetmar (½); dugan; Olroda; nicolas monti; Jeffo2448 (½)]
E1M1: 8.500 votes [40oz; Superluigieth1; jazzmaster9; Tosi; Frisky; schmerr (½); thedeadgmr; Firerisor; Maibigbutt]
E1M9: 8.000 votes [Rayzik; SavageCorona; Wovenloaf; SFoZ911; agent ender; Zulk-RS; Winged_Warrior; Cynical]
E1M4: 4.000 votes [Shadow Hog (½); ReFracture; DaIcemann76; Job (½); Crunchynut44]
E1M2: 3.500 votes [Darklordrobert; schmerr (½); razorback; TraceOfSpades]
E1M6: 3.000 votes [antares031; ella guro; ChekaAgent]
E1M8: 2.500 votes [jerk-o (½); Tuaam; DoomzRules]

:)

I like E1M7 for being the most complex of the E1 maps, but my most favourite has to be E1M4. Kickass music, fun moments, and the overall layout is just cool. Tom Hall really made a fantastic map like everything else he did that was "revamped" by Sandy Petersen.

T-Rex said:

I like E1M7 for being the most complex of the E1 maps, but my most favourite has to be E1M4. Kickass music, fun moments, and the overall layout is just cool. Tom Hall really made a fantastic map like everything else he did that was "revamped" by Sandy Petersen.

I agree on E1M4 being a special E1 map due to the Tom Hall layout, it's just like a different species that made it into the startan chapter.

I really love all of Knee-Deep in the Dead, but if I had to pick I'd say E1M2 and E1M7 have this wonderfully dense design, accomplishing a great deal of variety with relatively little.

savagegrant said:

E1M7 all the way for me. :)

Here's a tally of the votes so far...

E1M7: 14.83 votes [printz; Marcaek; RUSH; Psycho11704; DooM_RO (½); Graf Zahl; rdwpa; joe-ilya; jerk-o (½); Cyanosis (⅓); Plasma Gun; dethtoll; Job (½); Nuxius; Shanoa; quackbal; savagegrant]
E1M3: 13.83 votes [Piper Maru; Combinebobnt; AD_79; wheresthebeef (½); Voros; RightField; scifista42; Getsu Fune (½); Cyanosis (⅓); Patrol1985; Soldier993 (½); Doomkid; Marnetmar (½); RoyBatty; Z0k; Jeffo2448 (½); Scottland89]
E1M5: 10.83 votes [Shadow Hog (½); DMPhobos; yakfak; wheresthebeef (½); DooM_RO (½); TheOrganGrinder; Getsu Fune (½); Cyanosis (⅓); Soldier993 (½); gaspe; Marnetmar (½); dugan; Olroda; nicolas monti; Jeffo2448 (½)]
E1M1: 8.500 votes [40oz; Superluigieth1; jazzmaster9; Tosi; Frisky; schmerr (½); thedeadgmr; Firerisor; Maibigbutt]
E1M9: 8.000 votes [Rayzik; SavageCorona; Wovenloaf; SFoZ911; agent ender; Zulk-RS; Winged_Warrior; Cynical]
E1M4: 4.000 votes [Shadow Hog (½); ReFracture; DaIcemann76; Job (½); Crunchynut44]
E1M2: 3.500 votes [Darklordrobert; schmerr (½); razorback; TraceOfSpades]
E1M6: 3.000 votes [antares031; ella guro; ChekaAgent]
E1M8: 2.500 votes [jerk-o (½); Tuaam; DoomzRules]

:)

Interesting how sometimes things turn out. Aside from M2 and M4 which I'd swap this is precisely how I'd rank E1's maps.