Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

How about a top ten worst FPS?

5 minutes ago, MassiveEdgelord said:

1. Overwatch

2. Halo

3. Daikatana

4. Every BioShock game after the first one.

You haven't played many first-person shooters. 

10 minutes ago, Ajora said:

You haven't played many first-person shooters. 

It's just that I can name more FPS's I actually liked on the top of my head better.

Anyone know some "underdog" FPS on Steam? Games that aren't completly terrible and have some interesting design or atmosphere going for them?

On 10/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, MassiveEdgelord said:

It's just that I can name more FPS's I actually liked on the top of my head better.

I also forgot to mention Fallout 4?

Most of the people saying CoD and other similar games are only mentioning their preferences and do not reflect reality. Truly worst ever FPS games are those like:

1. Immortal Cumbat

2. Isle of the Dead

3. Legend of the Seven Paladins

4. Operation Bodycount

5. Tekwar 

Since we bumped this thread I may as well participate because I have played the worst FPS. All your "bad" or lackluster FPS pale in comparison to the indie garbage floating around Steam.

In no particular order:

- Time Rameside

- Paranautical Activity

- Galactic Hitman

- Doomed (Doomed, not Doom)

- American Patriots: The Swamp Fox
 - Planet Reserve

- Headache

- Castle Werewolf 3D
 - German Fortress
 - Nano Project

I could keep the list going with 10 more.

Terrible yet fun? Retro Miami

Wolf3D (SNES)

MOH: Underground (GBA)

Duke Nukem 3D (game.com)

Doom (Saturn)

Isle of the Dead (PC)

Too many to count guys Dx
I'll just give my list to whatever 10 random "bootleg" fps games you know of :)

I can't believe there were people defending Duke Nukem Forever earlier in the thread. It's unredeemable garbage beginning from end. The writing looks like a first team made a parody of Duke 3D, and then a second team took that parody seriously. It's utterly, utterly charmless, witless, and humorless. It's not even that it's "dated" or that the concepts "didn't age well" because the original Duke Nukem 3D is still much better all around.

On the gameplay side, it didn't keep anything from the original, instead wholly embracing all the fads that everyone was already hating by the time it was released. It's like the game was, on some level, aware of how terrible and unfun it was, so it was going out of its way to sweep its gameplay under the rug, hoping you won't even notice it's there as you are drowned under vehicle sections, turret sections, "quick-time event" scripted sections, and stupid but nevertheless mandatory minigames.

DNF should never have been released. It should have stayed true to the other meaning of its acronym, "did not finish".

Yeah, there are games out there that have worse engines, games that have more bugs, games that have worse level design, games that have even less gameplay, games that have more offensive writing, whatever. None of them are as all-around bad as DNF. They have some saving graces, in that perhaps they were a real labor of love from developers who had more ambition than talent, or perhaps they're just so stupid they're funny, or at least they're comfortably obscure so you only hear about them when deliberately looking for collections of the worst games ever made. DNF has none of these excuses.

DNF isn't even bad enough to be ironically good. It's aggressively mediocre. It's the Nickelback of first-person shooter games. 

there might be worse FPSes gameplay-wise than Redneck Rampage but it is still the worst in my heart
it's just so stupid and painful. no-one's indie DarkBASIC FPS can compare to how much RR makes ya groan. it's seedier than DNF

9 hours ago, geo said:

Since we bumped this thread I may as well participate because I have played the worst FPS. All your "bad" or lackluster FPS pale in comparison to the indie garbage floating around Steam.

In no particular order:

- Time Rameside

- Paranautical Activity

- Galactic Hitman

- Doomed (Doomed, not Doom)

- American Patriots: The Swamp Fox
 - Planet Reserve

- Headache

- Castle Werewolf 3D
 - German Fortress
 - Nano Project

I could keep the list going with 10 more.

Terrible yet fun? Retro Miami

I hate to see Paranautical Activity there, because the game looks great (for a weird indie title), the concept is great, the game mechanics are great... but OH MY FUCKING GOD, why make a roguelite arena shooter with SMALL CRAMPED ROOMS AND BAD FURNITURE HITBOXES? I keep getting stuck to the fucking stairs and shit.

40 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

I hate to see Paranautical Activity there, because the game looks great (for a weird indie title), the concept is great, the game mechanics are great... but OH MY FUCKING GOD, why make a roguelite arena shooter with SMALL CRAMPED ROOMS AND BAD FURNITURE HITBOXES? I keep getting stuck to the fucking stairs and shit.

I'll give it another shot today. I remember absolutely hating it like tough to play, like you're driving a boat and not FPS. I never made it far, because it was just bad and I felt overrated after hearing about it for quite some time as being awesome.

In hindsight I can think of 6 more games that deserve to be on my top 10, but those are games no one ever heard of.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:54 PM, Tetzlaff said:

Anyone know some "underdog" FPS on Steam? Games that aren't completly terrible and have some interesting design or atmosphere going for them?

Depends on what you consider underdog. From looking at these lists, most of the people here don't have a very wide perspective of games available.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:54 PM, Tetzlaff said:

Necrovision.  Which, ironically, has been cited as a "bottom 10" multiple times in this thread by people with no taste.

I also really liked Wrack, but I'm guessing most people here know about that one.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

I can't believe there were people defending Duke Nukem Forever earlier in the thread.

It wasn't "people" so much as it was "Dethtoll taking unpopular stances for the sole sake of starting arguments, again."

Worst ones i have played or tried:

Blood II (Pistol shot turns human to gibs, bloody woman's body in working washing machine made me to realize than i won't continue to play that piece of shit).

Postal 2 (It's nice that you can choose how to play, but still the game allows too much).

Hired Team Trial (Poor clone of Quake III Arena).

Painkiller (I loved it on first playthrough because i was stunned by graphics. But gameplay is horribly repetitive, maps are very simple).

Daikatana (...).

Some cheap FPS called "We were soldiers". Game made in around 2004, but installed size was around 50 MB...

On 10/6/2019 at 3:54 PM, Tetzlaff said:

There are some War games on Steam that i haven't tried but might be good (as well as other FPS games that are older). I've bought most of them on sale for under $2 but haven't really tried them. These also might be on GOG as well.

Most of these are older games:

-Eradicator (third and first person DOS shooter)

-Line of Sight: Vietnam

-Men of Valor

-Mobile Forces

-Project: Snowblind (heard good things about this)

-Requiem: Avenging Angel (heard good things about this but needs some setting up to work i believe)

-Super 3-D Noah's Ark

-Chaser

-Sniper Elite (1999) (not sure if FPS or not as i can't remember)

-MadSpace: To Hell and Beyond (might be good, might be bad)

-Z.A.R. (might be good, might be bad)

-Shadow Ops: Red Mercury

-Last Rites (DOS game, needs setting up)

There are a few more but this list should do. Now i haven't played many of these so i don't know if they are good or not. I'd put links but if you just type these into google you should be able to find them :) (example: Last Rites pc game)

On 10/6/2019 at 3:50 AM, MassiveEdgelord said:

1. Overwatch

2. Halo

3. Daikatana

4. Every BioShock game after the first one.

Aside from Daikatana this sounds more like top Over hyped games, since non of these can be considered as objectively Bad Especially Bioshock Infinite.

EDIT: whoops didnt realize this thread is old, but my point still stands tho

Kinda funny that Halo is mentioned as bad on a Doom forum.

Since you know, Halo has kept Doom-inspired game design alive throughout the tyranny of the modern combat shooter. Wide roster of visually distinct enemies with unique AI and silhouette and size. Healthkits and static hitpoints. Maybe more, but I never really played Halo.

6 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

Kinda funny that Halo is mentioned as bad on a Doom forum.

Since you know, Halo has kept Doom-inspired game design alive throughout the tyranny of the modern combat shooter. Wide roster of visually distinct enemies with unique AI and silhouette and size. Healthkits and static hitpoints. Maybe more, but I never really played Halo.

Probably because Halo has health recharging, so automatically it gets roped into the modern tropes of bad gaming which is a huge shame really because Halo 1-3 are really fun games.

Actually the first Halo had shield recharging not health recharging but did have a health system with medikit pickups, but the later games removed the health system and pickups and made it only rechargeable shields which is not really different from regenerative health.

Postal 3, it was forgotten until the postal 4 announcement.

The biggest day 1 game purchase regret I've ever had. And yet I purchased Alien Colonial Marines.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, Ajora said:

DNF isn't even bad enough to be ironically good. It's aggressively mediocre. It's the Nickelback of first-person shooter games. 

Duke Nukem would probably be in a strip club alongside Nickelback.

1. Medal of Honor Warfighter: what was once a decent WWII FPS franchise became COD MW clone only note worthy for its mind-numbing mediocrity and a check-list of every modern FPS game design that makes the genre worse.

2. COD BLOPS IV: COD somehow manages to top the idea-less phone it copy anything other FPS games are doing but worse, that was IW. A sad cash-in on the BR trend that doesnt even try to pretend it will have a shelf life longer than 10-11 months or so before they release another sequel.

3. Fallout 3: while technically an action RPG it has a first person perspective and guns you can shoot, So it is an FPS. A shartstain on the legacy of Fallout 1-2. Buggy as all hell, boring to look at, poorly designed, bland story. Fallout 4 may have its faults but its least the gameplay is enjoyable.

4. Homefront 2: If you could transmogrify the color Beige into a video game it would be this game. 

5. Blood II: for obvious reasons

6. DNF: I would say DNF is probably better than every COD post BLOPS II. It deserves a worst spot list for it(and the IP in general) for being thoroughly smothered by Randys piss-stained little hands

7. Colonial Marines: See Randys Piss-stained hands.

8. The 2008 Turok

9. To expand just a wee bit to first person games in general. THIEF turned the clever, cynically humorous Garret into a batman archetype.

10. Clive Barkers Jericho: We could have gotten a sequel to Undying but instead we got that thing.

Huh, this sure is an interesting topic lads, but some games mentioned here are better off in an overrated/overhyped kind of topic (I'd never put a game like Fallout or Halo on such a list for one).

Anyway, yea, A:CM is quite easily one of the worst things I could touch. I would have much rather had the E3 2011 demo released, that demo alone is worth more than the final product... Apart from that, DNF, and Blood 2. DNF had the chance to be good, but what we got instead is the result of a long cycle of development hell, poor design choices, and poor resource management. Yes, it's the final product is dated, but it just doesn't play well anyway, and the humor is also tasteless. Ajora described it best above, it's "aggressively mediocre", and not the fun type of mediocre.

Can't name a whole lot more games tbh, since I don't spend my time around trash titles, I prefer to simply avoid them.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:28 AM, CyberDreams said:

There are some War games on Steam that i haven't tried but might be good (as well as other FPS games that are older). I've bought most of them on sale for under $2 but haven't really tried them. These also might be on GOG as well.

Most of these are older games:

-Eradicator (third and first person DOS shooter)

-Line of Sight: Vietnam

-Men of Valor

-Mobile Forces

-Project: Snowblind (heard good things about this)

-Requiem: Avenging Angel (heard good things about this but needs some setting up to work i believe)

-Super 3-D Noah's Ark

-Chaser

-Sniper Elite (1999) (not sure if FPS or not as i can't remember)

-MadSpace: To Hell and Beyond (might be good, might be bad)

-Z.A.R. (might be good, might be bad)

-Shadow Ops: Red Mercury

-Last Rites (DOS game, needs setting up)

There are a few more but this list should do. Now i haven't played many of these so i don't know if they are good or not. I'd put links but if you just type these into google you should be able to find them :) (example: Last Rites pc game)

Thanks, but I was mainly interested in newer games. I played almost every obscure FPS I could find in the 2000s. Chaser and Requiem: Avenging Angel are games I really enjoyed, and I still have a copy of Project: Snoblind in my drawer (played the demo version back in the day and liked it).

In the 2000s there were many Russian, Polish and other Eastern European small companies that released interesting "underdog" FPS games, like Gene Troopers, Vivisector, or Chrome.

I had the impression that today small developers like that release their obscure games on Steam. Thats the reason I asked specifically for Steam games.