Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
actinide2k9

[Might be wrong] So, what does everyone here think about the theme?

So it seems that I found a video on youtube with the main theme (for now). I wonder what everyone is thinks about it? Personally I like it, I'd have prefered metal but that is pure nostalgia. I have to admit it kinda fits the new style of Doom.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kff1Wxg2pxg

EDIT:

Thanks to Komenja for pointing out that Mick Gordon posted on the video. It seems that it is not actually the theme according to him.

EDIT: Just to be clear, doesn't this fall under the NDA? If so I'll remove the link.

Erm, well this is definitely the first time I've heard "Deathstep." Yes, that's what people in the Youtube comments were calling it. Basically the E1M1 theme but turned into... dubstep. I kind of hope this isn't the "main theme" of the game because it's pretty bland. But I'm a metalhead so maybe that's why I'm not a huge fan. I've heard worse but this isn't the sort of dark epic track I was hoping for as a theme song that's for sure.

I didn't think it was possible to strip the E1M1 riff of all its gravitas, but here we are. That said, it's an extremely well produced track and the drums have a nice punch to them. But the lead synth absolutely sucks, it reminds me of some of the crummy sounds you can get from messing with early versions of Fruity Loops. There's no aggression to it at all and it's clearly a melody that has the potential to be heavy, given the right timbre. It's basically a really generic blend of industrial and dubstep, but it seems to be intentionally ignoring how brash those genres can be. It sounds more like a very polished but castrated fanboy version of E1M1 than something a professional composer came up with. Not saying it needs blast beats and death metal distortion, but it does need to sound less weak.

Well yeah, it is not as dark as I expected too, that much is true. What I like about it though is that in my opinion it fits the 'technical' style of the demons. The music in the multiplayer gameplay demo is a little bit heavier though, so maybe this is still subject to change.

EDIT: Multiplayer demo (starts around where the music starts): https://youtu.be/JTfe7V-_3r0?t=1m19s

I'm a fan for sure.

The Track basically wants to stick to the electronic sound the original Dooms had but revamp it to a more grunge like modern version. This is perfect, it doesn't need to be a game full of guitar riffs. And if any real instruments will actually be used I would imagine they would be modified with a mixer of sorts.

I think Mick Gordon might have left the project.

Check his website and his Twitter. He used to mention DOOM as one of the projects he was working on, but not anymore. It looks like he last tweeted about DOOM a few weeks ago.

I'm confused.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Check his website and his Twitter. He used to mention DOOM as one of the projects he was working on, but not anymore. It looks like he last tweeted about DOOM a few weeks ago.

I'm confused.

But his Twitter page uses seems what to be like a pic of martian landscape...

ChickenOrBeef said:

I think Mick Gordon might have left the project...

...He used to mention DOOM as one of the projects he was working on, but not anymore. It looks like he last tweeted about DOOM a few weeks ago...

Yeah, looks like the last thing was that "LINEDEF" song sample. Weird. I wonder if they pissed him off or decided to get a new composer.

@Hofmann
I don't see why Rob Zombie is here, so I'll just reply with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZQc9Uf5eSE

LeD]Jake Crusher said:

But his Twitter page uses seems what to be like a pic of martian landscape...

True, but he used to have a picture of the Revenant as his banner. It's also odd that Doom isn't mentioned in his Twitter bio.

I doubt he's left the team.
He'd probably mention that, or announce it if he did, and I have no clue who they could find to replace him, if he did.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I have a bad feeling about this... It's been a really troubled production already, and now the composer leaves?, i hope that's not the case

DMPhobos said:

I have a bad feeling about this... It's been a really troubled production already, and now the composer leaves?, i hope that's not the case

If this song was anything to go by...

EDIT: Some YouTuber suggested turning the speed up to 1.25. Now that kicks ass.

Technician said:

Is this that dubstep all you kids be talking about? Maybe you need to be on Special K before this becomes enjoyable.

There's not really enough oscillating bass for it to be straight up dubstep, but yeah basically. I don't see why the theme didn't go full on dubstep AND metal, that could have sounded pretty alright I imagine.

Technician said:

If this song was anything to go by...

EDIT: Some YouTuber suggested turning the speed up to 1.25. Now that kicks ass.

Here's an edit some Anon made a while back.
Sorry about it being on Picosong, but it's still the original link.
http://picosong.com/QCPJ/

Eh...it's not awful but Mick Gordon has done better in Wolfenstein.

I expect everything in the new Doom to be better than Wolfenstein.

Komenja said:

In the video comments, Mick Gordon's saying this isn't the theme.

Voltcom9 said:

Eck, that's the theme?! Wow, that sounds terrible IMO. I preferred the original song.

Seriously? Posted literally right above your reply, an hour and a half earlier.