Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Released] Doomworld Roulette: Session 2

Alfonzo said:

Your map is going to be one in a compilation of maps, so whatever changes you make to the resources with DeHackEd would likely also impact other peoples' work. Hence, no DeHackEd.

*Pulls sad puppy dog face*

Nah, I'm alright. :P

Can I leave this project? Can't make map, based on this theme, because I already made Laboratory growing over The Pit (white2,wad's 12-th map), and making almost the same thing again - is boring for me.

Gun 4 chamber 1 please, maybe I will make something good enough to be in the top 12! ...but probably not :D

ChaingunnerX said:

Can I leave this project? Can't make map, based on this theme, because I already made Laboratory growing over The Pit (white2,wad's 12-th map), and making almost the same thing again - is boring for me.

But are you sure it was growing over the pit? ;)

The chamber's been vacated, but if you want to return and have another crack at it then by all means.

I made a midi for my map!

Protodojo (2:23)

Rest assured I think I can pull off the map, as insane as the theme is.

Hit me up if anyone wants me to make a MIDI for their Roulette map. I'm doing a speedmidi a day all throughout January, so I'd be eager to get some stimuli. :D

EDIT 12/01: updated link to actually use the version of the midi the map is using

That's a speedmidi? Bloody hell. Fits the part, for sure; with that opening it sounds like Alien Jungle meets Icarus meets... 80's synth rock. Good luck with your map!

EDIT: ...meets spacetrain.mid ;)

Best of luck, Impie! An entire biome packed between fortified walls...? How hard could it be!

Alfonzo said:

Best of luck, Impie! An entire biome packed between fortified walls...? How hard could it be!

Well so far it's the beginnings of a Strange Aeons sequel, so it's not lookin' too bad. Giving me an opportunity to do an atmospheric map, which I know I'm okay at.

As usual though, I'm leaving it a surprise.

EDIT: What about custom ambient sounds, environmental effects, and/or monsters? Are we only limited to custom texture sets and 2 sprites?

Custom textures and a selection of decoration things aside, the spirit of the project is really in how best you're able to fashion a level that fits the theme using only your skills in level design. That, and I'm not entirely sure how to go about implementing more resource-intensive things like sound effects without eating into the stock! The decorations rule might yet prove a bridge too far, as well. If there is a way to fit them in that I'm not thinking of, I'll consider it.

Alright, I have a question regarding custom textures. You know that huge texture pack they're using for 32in24-15? Well, there are a couple of textures in there I'd like to use, but I don't know their origins. Specifically...

COMSTA6 (texture)
ROCK31 (texture)
GROUND26 (flat)
Is it okay to use these textures in my map? I would credit the owner if I knew who they were, but unfortunately I do not. Also, if there is a list of owners for the textures in that pack, please inform me, I really want to know who did those sexy crates :P

If the answer is no, I can always try to recreate them myself, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. Either way, thanks!

If you can't credit the author(s) then the next available source will suffice. At least, this is what I've been informed. I'm sure one of the resident boffins will help clue you in on the true origins of the textures if you're looking to get to the bottom of it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?u375d9cm4hd7a86

Name : Streetlight manifesto
MIDI : "Private eye -by- Alkaline Trio" from midimelody
Textures : Stock doom 2 textures

How I went by the title :
It's an easy to understand title, round blue areas with curvy stairs scattered around as sandbox buildings, since it's set in london I put a big ben as the symbol of the famous city.
I made the amphitheaters look hammered by placing them in random illogical locations.

So I'm working on the map... However, due to recently moving house I don't have regular Internet at the moment, only on my phone, so I might not be able to upload before the deadline. We're due to get it up and running on the 18th itself (I think) but if there's a delay with that would you accept a slightly late submission from me? If not I understand... Can save the map for something else.

Sorry scotty, gotta stick to my guns on this one. I'd very much like to play and discuss the map whenever it's completed, though; your previous work was a real winner!

Alfonzo said:

Sorry scotty, gotta stick to my guns on this one. I'd very much like to play and discuss the map whenever it's completed, though; your previous work was a real winner!

Ah, fair play. Fingers crossed everything works out..

I am a goddamned fool. I've been so used to working in UDMF I forgot to set the map settings to Boom instead. I don't suppose there's a way to convert UDMF to Boom so I can adjust everything?

If not, I'll have to bow out. I'm not remaking all of this again from scratch...

3 arenas done! I just need to do 3 more, do opening section, thing placement & difficulty/multiplayer settings, test this in every possible way and make sure it's playable.

Impie said:

I am a goddamned fool. I've been so used to working in UDMF I forgot to set the map settings to Boom instead. I don't suppose there's a way to convert UDMF to Boom so I can adjust everything?

If not, I'll have to bow out. I'm not remaking all of this again from scratch...

Can you not open up the UDMF map in Doom Builder, copy everything, make a new map in Boom format, and paste it there? You'd need to do it with both sectors and things, but I think it would work...

Surreily said:

Can you not open up the UDMF map in Doom Builder, copy everything, make a new map in Boom format, and paste it there? You'd need to do it with both sectors and things, but I think it would work...

There are always errors, glitches, and incompatabilities when I do that, which make the map unplayable. I'll give it a shot anyway.

EDIT: Well it worked, surprisingly enough. Maybe the disastrous attempts in the past were just when converting plain doom to something more advanced, or vice-versa. In any case, here are the fruits of my labors. Whether they are ripe or sour, I dunno.

Keep of the Valley of the Shadow of Death

How I interpreted "an eerie wasteland in a keep": small brick keep with a wormhole sitting in its belly, leading to a barren alien landscape.

The music is from Bad Mojo.