Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Released] Doomworld Roulette: Session 2

You still have 4 hours Scotty! Post a whatever-the-hell version now and just post the finalized update asap, that seems to be OK according the the op, assuming I'm reading it right of course.

That's right, as long as it can be exited and the updated versions don't add further layout content (that is, no additional map - texture changes, monster placement etc. is permitted), it's good for inclusion.

Cretaceous Cogs

Music: el dorado never shined as bright as a well oiled ass.mid from midi year one by jmickle66666666
Textures: Jmickle66666666's Aquatex V6, pystex, 2mbrown
Jmickling Level: 9/10

For Zdoom users, go to Display Options and set Stretch Short Skies to No before playing

To Do: Shadowcasting?

Fuckin hell 38 minutes before the deadline...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0xgbx1sd2xnl1n/goldladl.wad?dl=1

Title: All Aboard the Soupship: Quest for the Golden Ladle

There are some textures I need to replace in the WAD (as they are currently pilfered from 32in24-15's texture pack), will work on that when I get a bit more time (it's 4:22am in Scotland). There are probably bugs too. I will write a text thingy when I get some more time too. Some gameplay changes may be needed (balance, ammo, difficulty settings etc).

*rolls the boulder over the entrance*

Them's the breaks. Thanks to all the timely participants. If you didn't manage to get your map out in time, keep in mind that we'll happily still play and talk about it should you still want to gather some feedback. A compilation of the 11 maps submitted will be rolled out tomorrow... and comments shortly to follow suit. No judging required, as we didn't surpass the 12 map limit!

I didn't get a chance to test mine in PrBoom, but I think it'll be okay. The fanciest thing I did was a "teleport to line" trick.

Apologies in advance to Jimmy for my mile-long Meatloaf-esque map title, "Keep of the Shadow of the Valley of Death".

Impie said:

Apologies in advance to Jimmy for my mile-long Meatloaf-esque map title, "Keep of the Shadow of the Valley of Death".

Not a problem. ;)

Thanks for your words about Spacey Dojo by the way. :D

Damn, I should've given my map a silly name so it didn't stick out compared to the rest of then. Oh well, I'll remember it next time.

Take a fast look on Jimmy map, it's awesome!
Sorry for don't do anything for this session... i'll finish it in the future....

Well, here's my map even if it isn't going into the final wad (unless Alfonzo takes pity on me and the fact that it was COMPLETE within the timeframe - haha). It's not worth releasing standalone. I hope it's at least some fun to play... i was planning on doing music and difficultly settings with the tuneup time so they haven't been done. Regardless, have a fun blast through this claustrophobic (shrivelled, right?!) graveyard. The start is pretty brutal so get moving from the off, you have been warned...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2gl8kbgokki611t/shrivelledgraveyard.wad

Text write up for Cretaceous Cogs

Description: The original idea was to build a ruined underwater base that leads down to a sea floor situated prehistoric museum with a secret to reveal. I mixed in new tech parts so that it gives the impression that the museum was built into the ruined base itself.

General texture use was going to include steampunk brick, brass, bronze and rust as the introduction joined to lower parts by high tech installations which became the shipyard and water control systems. Items I wanted to include were gears/cogs, water systems with pipework and moving water, prehistoric fossils and sea floor views to big pipes with flashing lights, catwalks and an underwater volcano. The technical aspects such as the main lift with light and the crane that opens the drain and raises the water level in the upper pipe area were unique ideas I enjoyed building and the most complex I have ever built, especially the lift reset.

I generally enjoy working with water and machines so I had a cascade of ideas for cool underwater systems for this one, some which failed.

Overall this was a damn fine Jmickling featuring his Aquatex and music.

Commentary: After seismic activity scans revealed a set of previously hidden ancient structures on the sea floor, the extra progressive UAC scientist Lord Chestington Kappenflaks was sent to investigate.

The initial discoveries included a cloaking system that had fallen into Disrepair.wad which explains the sudden appearance of the base on scanners, a prehistoric steampunk based technological society and some cliché 128 stone blocks that depict a mysterious god.

They sent in the overlooked Pinch of Skree to design and construct a reduced symmetry research and museum facility with scattered weapons, ammo and healing kits in raid convenient locations that could be used to study the findings.

After getting close to a major discovery, the facility stopped reporting back, so the closest available military personnel which happened to be a military base demon exterminator coming out of retirement, has been sent to investigate.

Beta 1 is ready to ship. Please have a good mosey around; there's probably one or two bugs on the windshield.

>> Download Beta 1 <<

Otherwise, all that should remain is the HELP screen (for referencing themes on the fly), the updated title screen, some resource cleanup, the text file, and a playthrough in cooperative. In the mean time you can expect some write-upsfor both the featured maps and the couple by scotty and Jaxxoon.

Commentary for All Aboard the Soupship: Quest for the Golden Ladle
I was delighted that I would get to make some awesome soup textures (okay, they're not that awesome) and decided to make a kind of sky ship thing that would then lead onto an island where something would happen. Later, I decided to use one of my custom sprites as a 'golden ladle' and set it as the objective of the map. The map features some 3D floor illusions (you will fall into the ship's main area, then again onto the island). The ship uses a very red/blue/silver/black theme, so I used my other custom sprite as a red lamp to help it fit in.

Near the beginning, you'll find the big red screen, which displays some information about the soup contained on the ship. When you open the blue door inside the ship, you'll enter the soup storage area and see the soup containers hanging onto the back of the ship, suspended by steel beams. This is also where you'll jump off the ship and land on the island to finally claim the legendary Golden Ladle. There is also a teleporter in each area leading back to the deck of the ship.

Map01 is the GOAT map01. Map is cool, music is ultra-elite. GASPE.

Edit: You should really consider doing a whole episode (4-7+ maps, whatever) starting from this.

Rayzik said:

Damn, I should've given my map a silly name so it didn't stick out compared to the rest of then. Oh well, I'll remember it next time.

You can still change the name, I don't mind doing CWILVs as it takes me like maybe 5 minutes to do the whole set of them. :)

Here's a minor update to V0.94:

- Added some medpacks to the crane room as it was too harsh
- A step was added to the yellow key room to improve the view
- One floor was missing its damage special
- Lines adjusted in the main lift to prevent a bug

I would like to do the directional lighting on the starting area that Tarns mentioned, but I don't know if I can pull it off, if there's anyone who is good at it, I don't mind them adding it before everything is made final.

I'll put the link here but you can update the wad whenever you want as minor things may still change/unknown bugs fixed.

rdwpa said:

Map01 is the GOAT map01. Map is cool, music is ultra-elite. GASPE.

Edit: You should really consider doing a whole episode (4-7+ maps, whatever) starting from this.

Many thanks :)

Yes maybe I should really do it, I went a bit out of my comfort zone here and it was quite interesting.

Scotty - A Shrivelled Graveyard (unnamed)

It's only right that I offer some thoughts on this map ahead of the main wad breakdown. Sorry for being a harsh taskmaster in not letting it into the compilation; I think setting that kind of precedent is important in a project series that plans to tick over into multiple episodes, and for providing some clarity. It's a shame, really, because the map is a perfect length for a small to medium-sized mapset like this one, which has a couple of levels that take upwards of 20 minutes to finish.

The word 'shrivelled' could either be easy or difficult to use depending on how nuanced you want to get. The interpretation here, and as you say, is simply in having the graveyard be quite small and strapped for space. I might have played with the dynamics a little bit to try and give the impression of a graveyard that was formerlly large but had been shrunken down to a misshapen, prune-like mote, perhaps through a combination of moving architecture (raising walls, lowering floors etc.) and icky-looking textures. That might be quite hard to execute in a way that's convincing, though, so I can't fault you for simply having it be small. I did entertain the idea that the use of zombieman en mass was another way of intepreting the word, with its connotations of feebleness, and the zombieman is nothing if not lower-tier cannon fodder. That's probably too highbrow a connection, though, given that a graveyard is the zombie's traditional estate.

The theme aside, I thought the map played well enough! Clearing out the tiers of opposition at the start was probably the highlight, as well as the zombie horde, although I would have had more fun ploughing through them with a RL or a scatter of barrels; combined with the limited space it would have made for an appropriately suffocating experience, versus the gradual picking off of stragglers as they teleport in. Anyway, I hope you'll return for the next session! Your brand is shaping up to be something a little different, I think - a cool toybox design with some loose sandbox elements thrown in. It'd be great to see you become a staple of the series :)

I'll kind of do the same thing.

The Emerald Farmhouse - Gaspe

I like this map. It's pretty tough - you don't get much ammo throughout the map, but it's sure as heck beatable! It's also fun to play, and that Arch-Vile can make a pancake from you if you're not cautious!

Theme-wise, gaspe sticks to his theme and literally makes - an emerald farmhouse. There is also a barn next to it. The start in a cavern below the ground was nicely done. Detailing was good - I liked those fences.

Gameplay-wise, gaspe did a nice job. You can feel the difficulty curve while playing it. You must conserve your ammo in every single way to win this map.

I enjoyed playing this map and it's a fresh opener! The only thing is, it's much tougher than the next map (writing this I'm stuck in about the half of that map) and it may be overkill to put it in MAP01 slot. Great map nonetheless, nice job gaspe!

Keep of the Valley of the Shadow of Death - Impie

This map is fun to play. There is enough ammo and health and everything is pretty balanced. That Arch-vile duo can crush your dreams if you don't hear them. (I see a pattern here)

Theme-wise, Impie also did a nice job. A whole biome enclosed behind fortified walls can be a tough task. I definitely would not interpret in in that way. However, despite sticking to the time, I did not like the design. Every single wall texture is either ASHWALL2 or a zimmer texture. The way they were used was nice, but Impie could've made at least some textures different. I especially enjoyed when you came back, and it all became hellish.

When comparing this map to the previous one, this one's much easier. Even from a pistol start. The only hard bit is the Revenant/Hell Knight trap with the blue key. Archviles were durable.

I liked this map. A little less repetition on the textures might be a better idea. Also, putting this map on the MAP01 slot might make it a great opening map. Good job, Impie!

Many thanks for your comment DoomLover234, but I guess that it fits better for a MAP01 considering that it is quite short compared to the other maps.

I updated my map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0xgbx1sd2xnl1n/goldladl.wad?dl=1

- New MIDI: "Cloud Soup" by Jimmy.
- New awful ladle sprite to replace the even worse one that was there before - now it actually kinda looks like a ladle I guess...
- Fixed a texture alignment issue in the main ship room.
- Removed a random bit of ceiling decoration.
- Difficulty settings (kinda) implemented.
- First area is easier now.
- Less ammo inside the ship.
- Fixed some pesky STARTAN2 in the soup storage area.
- Made the sand texture 1 pixel tall (as that's all you'll ever see).
- Added a more obvious arrow to the second drop point (it has an ANIMATED entry).

Found some bugs.

1)Doomkid's map : The monsters behind the window are blocked by an untextured sector, you can see the flat bleeding all over the sector if you look upon it from a higher angel.

2)Jimmy's map : The other side is textured with metal, this one is rock textured.

3)Rayzik's map : Got stuck among those crates.

4)Pinchy's map : HOM step.

Thanks for the feedback, DoomLover. My maps tend to be walks in the park for some reason...

I added more texture variety to make the map less visually boring, but I'm not sure how it looks. That is, I think it looks better, but an objective observer would probably know better.

It's strange that the untextured sector Joe pointed out bleeds - It doesn't seem to do so in Chocolate or ZDoom, oddly enough. Those are the only two ports I tested in during development.

EDIT: Nope, it does it in those as well! Will get it fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

rdwpa said:

FDA for "A Hellish Train" (map09), one death.

Nice, thanks for the demo. Revealed a few things that needed tweaking.

Which means..

A Hellish Train v1.2

v1.2
-Changed the trigger lines for the metal bars to one single line
-Moved the lowering switch for those bars into a blocked alcove, no more infinitely tall switching for easy mode
-Changed the railway door at yellow key closing lines into one single line, so there aren't repeated sound effects, and there's no point to lock it twice
-Fixed one of the high level tunnels being completely open
-Fixed the spot where joe-ilya got stuck
-Fixed incorrect voodoo doll logic on the exit/last ambush, should let the cacos out sooner
-Changed a few cacos at the end into pain elementals, because they're fun right?