• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RottingZombie

GZDoom - sound init failed

I get this error when launching GZDoom v2-0-05

"sound init failed. Using nosound"

it runs fine but there is no sound when using my Plantronics gamecom headset with latest drivers on windows 10. Sound works fine if i switch to speakers in windows then launch. Sound works on these headphones in other Z ports such as Zandronum.

Any clue how to fix it?

Make sure that your GZDoom directory contains a file "fmodex.dll". If not, reinstall GZDoom, or find and download the .dll file manually. It's possible that your antivirus software is deleting the file from your computer automatically, so watch out for that.

Also keep in mind that different builds of FMOD Ex are not ABI-compatible, so the FMOD sound backend will only work if you use an fmodex.dll compatible with the one that GZDoom was built with. In other words, make sure you use the dll from the GZDoom package, and not an older one that you got from elsewhere. Yes, this does mean that you may have to put GZDoom, ZDoom, and Zandronum in different directories.

I'm using an unmodified GZdoom package with the included .dll, is it possible it's incompatible with my headset drivers? Like i said i get sound when using speakers in windows (which uses different sound hardware and drivers i believe)

I always keep my ports in different directories being a neatfreak and all. :)

Thanks for the responses

RottingZombie said:

I'm using an unmodified GZdoom package with the included .dll, is it possible it's incompatible with my headset drivers?

Really it shouldn't be, but I have no explanation to offer.

Maybe try a development build of GZDoom?

Sound works on the headset in this one, though the menu sounds mute after a moment. Weird :D Thanks for the suggestion.. Seems like a nice build as far as options and I think i'll use it to play all my vanilla doom stuff.