Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Question on MAP01

On Doom 2.

On the outer area of the secret with the shotgun,
IDCLEV or noclip in the console to go there.
You'll see that the the floor is in that white pebblestone texture.
Anyone know why? Its not visible from the in game area, so what for?
Placeholder?

Assume you mean the sector I'm standing in in this screenshot.

The existence of this sector is simply the standard method to make a sky appear on a wall area. When two sectors both have the sky texture as their ceiling, but have different ceiling heights, the sky bleeds between the two. Here's a diagram:

Why the white pebblestone texture? Who knows. The level author had to choose a texture because all sectors must have a valid floor and ceiling texture. Otherwise the game bombs out with an error.

What the above said.

Anyways, this method for sky walls isn't usually recommended anymore, as you can use horizons and such for fancier sky walls.

However, line horizon is not avaiable in Vanilla Settings, so this method is fine to use with classic doom limitations

Could also be that it's a flat level author wanted to use for outdoor areas before current one was made/decided.

Academically speaking, what is the most effective way to implement this in a limit-removing port?

Academically speaking, it's impossible.

Unless I misunderstood what exactly did you mean by "implement" and by "this". I assumed that you as a mapper wanted to make a limit-removing map with a true horizon (a flat extending to infinite distance).

scifista42 said:

Academically speaking, it's impossible.

Unless I misunderstood what exactly did you mean by "implement" and by "this". I assumed that you as a mapper wanted to make a limit-removing map with a true horizon (a flat extending to infinite distance).

Well, IIRC (and I may not), isn't something fitting what you just described done in map 26 of Evilution, Ballistyx? I'm not really clear on the hows and whys of the way it works, but in general, I'm referring to "sky effects" without using a skybox, since I never cared for them that much.

Job said:

Well, IIRC (and I may not), isn't something fitting what you just described done in map 26 of Evilution, Ballistyx?

Nope, that's just pseudo-vanishing point trickery.

Job said:

Well, IIRC (and I may not), isn't something fitting what you just described done in map 26 of Evilution, Ballistyx?

The boundary between the rock floor and the sky floor makes the perceived horizon, but it doesn't extend into infinite distance, it ends exactly where you would normally see the lines on the floor. They are far-enough from the player that it might seem convincing-enough, specially in low resolution.

fraggle said:

Why the white pebblestone texture? Who knows. The level author had to choose a texture because all sectors must have a valid floor and ceiling texture. Otherwise the game bombs out with an error.

John Romero shared some early versions of the Doom 2 maps a few months ago. The early version of MAP01 had the white pebblestones for the whole outdoor area, and someone forgot to edit that sector when they changed it.

I always interpreted that area in Map 26 as going off into a void. It is a neat effect, to me even better than if it extended off to the horizon.