Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Give me a theme/restriction and I'll speedmap! [5 MAPS DONE]

scifista42 said:

FDA. For a speedmap, it's something I'd call "good but not great". Nukage was used well, though. Challenge amount was between easy and medium, which is OK. The blue key area was a fair little challenge, I just so sucked that I died there. I think there was a sector in the red key area that was damaging but shouldn't have been.

Thank you for your criticism! I will see about that sector and some other bugs and tomorrow I'll probably post a fixed version or something. And don't worry, you played very well if you played it blind.

Good but not great? That's what I was aiming for. This is my second speedmap so I'm not into it just yet. But I'll keep practising.

CWolfRu said:

Technological vagina full of nukage, maybe?

Since I'm bored, I'll make this. From 10:15 till 12:15 CET.

^ Only Lost Souls AND Commander Keens, I'd add. Lost Souls don't count up to kill percentage statistics, that's why there should be Keens (who do count) to not always give the player 0% kills in the end (in vanilla and some ports), also they can be used for the Keen death special that opens 666-tagged doors after all Keens on the map are dead.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98c6ezzz3qzl2ux/technica.wad

Technologina!

Meet High-Tech Grave's sister! This map features two different play areas, and each of them is crucial for the game to finish! There are a lot of traps, and the end may surprise you as well! This is a break, since I don't want all of my maps to be hard as hell, although this one is very bad. If you encounter any crucial bugs, let me know. The map is probably limit-removing since there are much more scrollers than 32, so vanilla Doom can't handle it.

No secrets whatsoever.

EDIT: works in -complevel 2. No scrollers tho.

Also the theme was a bit, eh, vulgar, so it doesn't resemble one that clearly, but you can still make it out if you're that vulgar ;)

DoomLover234 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98c6ezzz3qzl2ux/technica.wad

Technologina!

The map is probably limit-removing since there are much more scrollers than 32, so vanilla Doom can't handle it.

The vanilla scroller limit is actually 64. But vanilla only supports scrolling left (linedef action 48). Scrolling right (linedef action 85) is Boom-specific, that's why it doesn't work in -complevel 2 either. You should map with a "Doom 2" map editor configuration when mapping for vanilla, because then the editor won't show you non-vanilla linedef actions as available at all. Thankfully, vanilla simply ignores such actions, doesn't crash on them.

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. Afterwards I replayed the map in Choco-render-limits and it played OK too! So, it was vanilla compatible, actually.

Decent gameplay and aesthetics, you're really improving, keep it up! I only didn't like the copy-paste and repetition of exact same game setups for more than once.

scifista42 said:

The vanilla scroller limit is actually 64. But vanilla only supports scrolling left (linedef action 48). Scrolling right (linedef action 85) is Boom-specific, that's why it doesn't work in -complevel 2 either. You should map with a "Doom 2" map editor configuration when mapping for vanilla, because then the editor won't show you non-vanilla linedef actions as available at all. Thankfully, vanilla simply ignores such actions, doesn't crash on them.

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. Afterwards I replayed the map in Choco-render-limits and it played OK too! So, it was vanilla compatible, actually.

Decent gameplay and aesthetics, you're really improving, keep it up! I only didn't like the copy-paste and repetition of exact same game setups for more than once.

Oh, so that's why it didn't work then. But it looks good even when it doesn't scroll,

Thank you very much, it means a lot to me!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fu96yy39cstksyn/tech_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Yeah, many of the fights seem like filler because there are exact copies elsewhere in the map. If you reuse ideas like that, at the very least the fights should grow in intensity, but it's better to just have a map with fewer fights where each one has its own identity. People who play speedmaps aren't really expecting length anyway.

Otherwise, it's definitely an improvement. Try to experiment with some non-lock-in setups, imo. Some ideas (not exhaustive at all):

1) High-priority threats. Hitscanners, pain elementals, and archviles are naturally dangerous without space restriction. Hitscanners because they are immediate threats that can do a lot of damage if you don't kill them fast. Pain elementals with their lost-soul spewing ability, which can hurt your ammo if they aren't dealt with immediately. Archies because of their special attack style and because they can function as vultures and resurrect dead monsters, etc.

2) Area denial. Using monsters like chaingunners, archies, etc., on turrets naturally creates regions that are safe zones, when nothing else is around. If a fight breaks out in that safe zone, you might not even have to use a lock-in to create pressure, because leaving it could be worse than staying put. Bonus points if the turret monster can't be get killed until later on in the level, when the player gets the necessary resources.

3) Crossfire. Mancs, arachnotrons, revs, or even some of the simple projectile monsters, particularly on turrets. This overlaps with #2 quite a lot.

4) Catwalk setups and/or damaging floor use. E4M2 in Doom is a good example of the former, as is Map29 in Doom II. The damaging floor functions as the space restriction, not any hard lock-in.

5) Open highly connected areas. In this type of setup, rooms (or "room equivalents", since I don't think they call the individual cavities in caves "rooms") are connected to one another in multiple ways, and there's a wide variety of threats -- some roaming, some on turrets. Because of this connectivity, there are no "camping zones" -- place that the player can hole up in. Or if there's a camping zone, it's only temporary (maybe the monster count is such that the player will be overwhelmed and surrounded if s/he stays there, maybe it's damaging . . . there are a lot of ways to pull this off). This wad is a good example. Mouldy's Going Down is worth studying, if you want something more well known. You can stage multiple fights in one area by using warp-ins or monster closets, but it's good to make sure there's variety in the fights, and that later fights are as sophisticated as the earlier ones. A lot of people tend to use warp-ins with only one or two types of monsters, usually all roaming, when the first fight in the area used a mix of many different threat types, including turrets, positioned at multiple locations. I think this is because setting up a complex warp-in takes more effort than just staging a complex fight by placing monsters directly on the map -- but it's worth it to subvert that, I think.

obake said:

Lots of doors, and lots of teleporting monsters.

Well, this will certainly be fun to make!

But unfortunately, I already speedmapped today. Tomorrow tho, this idea will be made into a map!

Vanger_ru said:

What about the continuation of your speedmapping?

I said I cannot do any speedmapping this weekend. However I may do it tomorrow. I cannot promise it.

The theme is "trailer park".

The restriction is "use only/mostly zombiemen, and make them formidable somehow."

DoomLover234 said:

I said I cannot do any speedmapping this weekend. However I may do it tomorrow. I cannot promise it.

I'm glad to see you're carrying on with this vein of speedmapping. Let me know via PM if you ever get around to my suggestion, as there's a chance I might miss it otherwise.

Alright, here's a theme from myself. I will get round to playing your maps when they're all done and I get the chance to stream them.

A great citadel, made out of flesh, brick, and metals. Make use of green nukage. No arch-viles, revenants, or cyberdemons. The player ascends higher inside the citadel as they progress. Include small twisty passages too.

I hope that's not too much, but if you do decide to use this theme, I'd love to see what you come up with!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I was not expecting that many.

The problem is that I can speedmap only on weekends. Over the week I have school, and there is no time for speedmapping. However, on weekends... I have enough time.

Expect the next speedmap on Friday!

Again, sorry.

Voltcom9 said:

Lol that's great! You could make a Megawad out of Community speedmap suggestions! Still can't wait to see what else you come up with from the suggestions on this forum.

And that is actually my plan. After 32 speedmaps done I will release a megawad. The only problem'd be uploading it to here. I do not have Windows better than XP and FileZilla does not work on my XP. And thank you for motivating and cheering for me! ;)

DoomLover234 said:

The only problem'd be uploading it to here.

I guess you mean "to /idgames" (which isn't actually part of Doomworld, by the way) - do it via command line as in step 10 of the /newstuff FAQ. CMD works everywhere.

scifista42 said:

I guess you mean "to /idgames" (which isn't actually part of Doomworld, by the way) - do it via command line as in step 10 of the /newstuff FAQ. CMD works everywhere.

Oh. Didn't see that section.

Thank you very much!

DoomLover234 is already posting his maps on Mediafire here. I suppose he wants his maps to be archived permanently, as opposed to Mediafire's 5-year lifetime for most links in the best case.

A map that is challenging, with no "hoards" of massive enemies, no instantly being surrounded / monster closets or teleport traps (Either teleporting into, or enemies teleporting to you) with a linear "assault" push, through a sort of ww1 style trenches, a small militarized town, and finally a light military camp / bunker. So basically a linear attack against a map with no real traps per-say, but somehow still difficult.

Aka hideous destructor maps....so sue me.

Actually, if you could pull off that style at all, regardless of if it worked with HD, I would be impressed. Though if you do make it for HD at all, cover would be appreciated.

A map requiring you to not fire and use a bit of "stealth", as to not alert powerful enemies, at least until a certain point.

SpunkMayo said:

A map requiring you to not fire and use a bit of "stealth", as to not alert powerful enemies, at least until a certain point.

You know that doom 2 reloaded mapset actually has a map based on this principle right? Big warehouse you need to sneak through before hitting a switch which "raises a defense grid".

In essence, if you do anything which makes noise, a fuckton of archviles FLOOD every corner of the map, absolutely guaranteeing you will die. And when you "raise the defense grid", it crushes a few hundred archviles in a box outside the main map.

Not saying your idea is bad, or that it shouldn't be done, mind you : far from it. But figured I'd let you know a map like that exists already, so you can play it if you haven't already.