Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

Story text/screens and more...

I have built 8.5/12 of my levels for my first wad. Awesome ... but as I get close to finishing the backbone to my campaign, I am beginning to want to add more and more complicated stuff! The question is, what is the best and/or most accepted way to get a text intermission screen before the first map? There seems to be only 2 options

1. Fake Map - end the level some how (haven't decided the best route) then get a story text screen before the REAL first level of your wad? Been reading about how to do this, but not sure if that is something we see a lot. Anyone have a wad with this I could look at?

2. ACS: I feel as though this would look too different than the other text intermission screens. Not to mention I know nothing about ACS scripts but I feel that someday I will HAVE to learn.

Yeah I have been looking into adding additional text screens (if it's possible) and did some reading on how to add more story elements. With ACS it seems like you can freeze the player and throw text on the screen. But I would prefer more frequent intermissions myself, I just to don't know how to do it.

Zemini, I strongly encourage you to learn some ACS. Not all the conditional and functional aspects as that stuff that can get real confusing for new users. Stick with the basics first like a linedef to activate script (80) and have "when player walks over" ticked (this is for UDMF in GZDoomEditor btw) and use a script like this:

#include "zcommon.acs" // Just needs to be written in once per map

Script 1 (Void)
{

Door_Open (tag, Speed); //Give the sector of the door you want opened a tag, not the line

SpawnSpot ("DoomImp", tag, tag, angle); // You need a 'MapSpot' thing found under Zdoom category and give it a tag. The 2 required tags can be the same
}

Bam you made a door open and an Imp spawn somewhere. As you slowly implement more ACS functions and bring up the Doom Wiki list of all the commands you can do you will have a plethora of options to really spice up your wad. But if you're not using a modern sourceport then ignore everything I said lol.

To define intermissions, you have to define clusters -- intermissions happen before and after clusters. A cluster can be as short as only one map (both secret levels in Doom II are their own clusters), and as big as every map.

I'm not entirely sure entertext will work on the first cluster (display a text before the first map starts). If it doesn't, you'll have to use an intro map to have a cluster transition.

The simplest way to have a map that's finished immediately is to give it an ENTER script that calls Exit_Normal(0). Yes, that's ACS, but that's very simple ACS. You should also give it NoIntermission in its MAPINFO, to skip the kills/items/secrets/time stats screen. I think that it doesn't disable the text screen, despite the name -- it's what's used in the definitions for the ExM8 in (Ultimate) Doom, and you do get the end of episode text screens anyway.

Gez said:

To define intermissions, you have to define clusters -- intermissions happen before and after clusters. A cluster can be as short as only one map (both secret levels in Doom II are their own clusters), and as big as every map.

I'm not entirely sure entertext will work on the first cluster (display a text before the first map starts). If it doesn't, you'll have to use an intro map to have a cluster transition.

The simplest way to have a map that's finished immediately is to give it an ENTER script that calls Exit_Normal(0). Yes, that's ACS, but that's very simple ACS. You should also give it NoIntermission in its MAPINFO, to skip the kills/items/secrets/time stats screen. I think that it doesn't disable the text screen, despite the name -- it's what's used in the definitions for the ExM8 in (Ultimate) Doom, and you do get the end of episode text screens anyway.

Awesome, I'm also looking into this stuff and appreciate the help.

I don't know how to correctly create clusters and put them in order. If I wanted to make a new text intermission between the second and third map, would it be as simple as defining Map02 as Cluster 1 in MapInfo?

Okay everything works almost...

#INCLUDE "ZCOMMON.ACS"

SCRIPT 1 ENTER
{
EXIT_NORMAL(0);
}

THe next level claims to have no player start - Underhalls. Last I checked the offical doom2 wad has a player start ;-}

Does that seem right?

Can't understand what you mean. Perhaps acs just isn't for me.

I think i am just going to build some decoration that crosses a line to end normal.

EDIT: Thank you 234 Carry North Fast!

Yes I tried 1 and 0. Gave me the same error. But I found my solution to be better for now.

If you claim you use 0 and it still couldn't find the map start, then you didn't actually recompile the script with 0.