Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Enemy AI

Will Carmack be focusing on a little better AI for enemies? I want to see semi-decent AI like team attacks. Say :

IMP IMP IMP
| | |

^^
PLAYER

^
IMP

3 Imps distract the marine from the front while a 4th Imp comes from behind and attacks. Then the marine kills one.

IMP > PLAYER < IMP

^
IMP

Then the 2 top imps scatter and get on the sides of the DoomGuy. That would be awesome. Another tactic could by by Demons, they could surround you in a circle to prevent you from escaping their jaws, or some zombies are semi-smart and will duck from around a corner, fire a few times then duck behind the corner again. If Carmack does do some of this for Doom 3 it will provide an excellent challenge.

bigbadgangsta said:

or some zombies are semi-smart and will duck from around a corner, fire a few times then duck behind the corner again.

No thanks, I didn't like Unreal.

bigbadgansta said:

If Carmack does do some of this for Doom 3 it will provide an excellent challenge.

Judging from the videos Doom III is still very in-your-face where action is considered, and Carmack has said he's consciously dodging the AI issue by doing aggressive zombies and demons. So it's unlikely we'll see any of this in Doom III.

Personaly, I think the zombies should have like 0 AI, and most of the demons a very limited tactical thought pattern, though a few of the more powerful demons such as archviles, barons, cybies and masterminds should have some good AI.

the_Danarchist said:

Personaly, I think the zombies should have like 0 AI, and most of the demons a very limited tactical thought pattern, though a few of the more powerful demons such as archviles, barons, cybies and masterminds should have some good AI.

I'm sure that's how it's going to be!

bigbadgangsta said:

or some zombies are semi-smart and will duck from around a corner, fire a few times then duck behind the corner again.

The soldiers in SOF2 do this, even behind trees. Makes SOF2 AI a challenge

Zombies are undead creatures. Therefore, IMO, they should not have the intelligence to duck behind walls, pop out and shoot, and then duck again. That doesn't seem right to me.
On the demon AI issue, I would like to see the lower enemies (Imps, Demons, and what have you) be extremely agressive and fight with every ounce of vigor that they can muster. Remember, these are demons we're talking about here. Of course, creatures such as the Revenant or Baron of Hell should be a trifle smarter, but not too much.

this is another post that should be in the technology forum

Xian said:

this is another post that should be in the technology forum

I see no way this related to technology, and I'm sure flathead and dsm know what they are doing well enough to not need someone giving them orders.

Artificial intelligence is a technology.

youve obviously missed whats been going on with the tech forum arguments, since ive lost the debate, im just trying to help dsm and lord flathead do their job

ling, check your email

Excatly. If your talking about how sound will react in different rooms, reverb, bass etc. thats for the technology forum. the reasons for the AI descisions are also technical (theres only so many resources you can allocate to that). the same goes for force-fedback, the use of portals or mirrors, and so on and so on. all these things that affect gameplay are just as much technology as bump-mapping, shaders etc.

ok then why not just move this entire forum over to technology? Afterll all doom isn't anything more than a bunch of sounds, ai, graphics, and lighting and after all you just said those all deal with technology.

THATS MY POINT. im trying to show the absurdity by letting the mods get ther way!

although ill play devils advocate- in flatheads and ling's defese, things like weapons, multiplayer, and certain very specific topics HAVE been raised which are NOT technology related, so no, not EVERY topic would logically have to be moved.

meh, who cares if it's posted in this forum or the other, the thread will still be the same. =P

http://ai-depot.com/GameAI/Design.html

This article makes distinquises between:

- Combat Oriented AI

- The Understanding & Exploitation of Terrain
- Efficient Use of Teamwork
- The Ability to Hunt

- Non-Combat Oriented AI's and
- Analytical & Efficiency Oriented AI

To use these concepts, I would say that the bots in Quake 3 (although very sophisticated) don't incorporate any of the above functions, And I don't think the "bots" in DOOM III will.

orion said:

meh, who cares if it's posted in this forum or the other, the thread will still be the same. =P

yup. but less people will see it

the bots in th eteam arena add on DO team together well

The enemies will be dumb, BUT they can hear your footsteps, according to an Australian PC mag interview by a couple of iD guys.

Zombies: 0 AI
Possessed humans: Should act as much like soldiers as possible - cover each others' asses and runs for cover. They're so weak anyway, that killing them wont be too difficult, just shoot them once with the shotty. I don't want a bunch of drunken soldiers running directly into my line of sight.
Demons: Animal-like intelligence varying between plain dumb (pinkies) and really smart (imps).

dsm said:

Zombies: 0 AI
Possessed humans: Should act as much like soldiers as possible - cover each others' asses and runs for cover. They're so weak anyway, that killing them wont be too difficult, just shoot them once with the shotty. I don't want a bunch of drunken soldiers running directly into my line of sight.
Demons: Animal-like intelligence varying between plain dumb (pinkies) and really smart (imps).

I agree. The most intelligent monsters should be the hell knight and the likes, tho.

The aussie mag (PC Powerplay) didn't place the interview on their site, but I'll see about transcribing it to a text file and doing the CTRL-C CTRL-V boogie.