Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

You MUST play this Quake map pack.

The only part of Quake I'm good at is blowing myself up. BUT I've been wondering about this sort of thing lately, so I may just check it out when I find myself in the mood for Quake...

DooM_RO said:

Ok but how do I run it? I followed the instructions but it doesn't start.

Not sure if this is the issue you're having, but when you edit the .exe parameters for the sourceport you're using, the 'game' has to match the folder you extracted the files into. I forgot that about quake. So they say extract to a folder called 'jam2' but I named my folder 'mapjam'. So of course putting -game jam2 didn't do anything, had to change to -game mapjam.

So the target for my quakespasm looks like this "E:\quake\Quake\quakespasm-r1273.exe -heapsize 64000 -game mapjam +map start" without quotes. Then once it loads, you have to go to the console and load individual maps as listed in the readme, such as "map jam2_cocerello" or "map jam2_fifth". Hopefully that helps. I was a little confused at first as well. I haven't played Quake or loaded custom levels in years, so I forgot the -game command needs to match the folder name.

All the mapjams are great, but 2 is one of my favourites, in particular the snowy mfx map.

If you are having troubles/hassle with running Quake mods, I'd recommend the QuakeInjector thing that Quaddicted links to. Once you've setup the paths to your Quake, It is a quick way to sample a lot of maps quickly, filter by author, etc.

Jello said:

Not sure about a guide, but I can say this, I'm playing "Place of Many Deaths" right now, and some of the secrets definitely took a page from Serious Sam. "Great job, you found a secret, now enjoy an onslaught of spawn-in enemies with no additional armor, weapon, health, or ammo bonuses. But here's a quad damage so you don't waste too much ammo or health dealing with them."

Hah... I haven't really played much of Serious Sam but I won't dismiss the criticism that you mention. There's one quad secret in particular that's pretty nasty but also tricky to find, intentionally so, because I know it's stupid and spawns in a fight that's a pain in the butt. The release map is much easier than the majority of the pre-release, I panicked and added a bunch more ammo and health just before launch.

I'm glad you doomers are enjoying the pack so far, the quake community has been silently producing some excellent content in the last few years that I'm sure many of you would appreciate! Stay classy! :)

I didn't think Q1's SP mapping went past 2003, I had been out of the loop for a long time. I'm very happy to hear and see that it's still alive.

Anything Sock makes is worth a look.

I subscribe to Custom Gamer's channel which often showcases new Quake maps. The scene is still active and quite a few of the featured map makers are professional level designers for AAA developers. Guess their jobs just don't have the same outlet for that good old fashioned level design that really empowers them to control the gameplay.

GeckoYamori said:

Anything Sock makes is worth a look.

Yes, also mfx, ericw, scampie, skacky, czw, negke, FifthElephant and Daz at the very least.

boris said:

How did the release of TrenchBroom influence the Quake community?

I'd say Trenchbroom has given Quake a new lease of life. I certainly wouldn't be releasing maps for Quake without it.

holy shit, all of the screenshots in this thread are so beautiful. spent a bit of time browsing Sock's site (pretty interesting to read his thoughts on design/his maps), and was totally amazed all all the screenshots I saw. especially the ones here:

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/zendar.htm

I want doom mapping to be like this :( gahd damn I can't get over how gorgeous everything is. just... look at this (from the moddb page linked above):

really thinking about trying to pick up quake mapping. this just looks too good

This is probably the worthiest E1M1 remake I've ever seen. It's a bit too brown but I'm not complaining.

Cyanosis said:

Not even close.

Anyway, what's stopping Doom modding from being like Quake modding? Why can't we have a brush-based editor that can also make two or three-story rooms? I mean we do have the source code.

Sorry if the question is stupid. I don't really know how these things work. All I know is how to make stuff in DoomBuilder 2.

DooM_RO said:

Anyway, what's stopping Doom modding from being like Quake modding? Why can't we have a brush-based editor

Because of Doom map format specifics. Map geometry in Doom = vertices + linedefs + sidedefs + sectors. A brush-based map geometry is not convertible to this format.

Doom ports/engines are specifically made to run Doom format maps. If you want another map format, use another engine.

scifista42 said:

Because of Doom map format specifics. Map geometry in Doom = vertices + linedefs + sidedefs + sectors. A brush-based map geometry is not convertible to this format.

Doom ports/engines are specifically made to run Doom format maps. If you want another map format, use another engine.

Ok then how does mapping on the Z axis work in advanced ports? Can't you just put vertices on the Z axis and drag them? I've only mapped in Vanilla so far. Would it be possible to make that Quake E1M1 remake on the Doom engine (for example)?

DooM_RO said:

Ok then how does mapping on the Z axis work in advanced ports? Can't you just put vertices on the Z axis and drag them?

Nope. There is typically a linedef action called "3D floor" which you put onto a linedef in a little dummy sector outside the main playable area in the map, and make it affect another sector inside the main playable area in the map. It will create a "platform" horizontally covering the entire area of the main sector, but vertically being placed at a certain height, defined by the dummy sector's floor and ceiling heights. That's the basic principle.

VGA said:

Amazing aesthetics. Shame about Quake's gameplay, though.

Cyanosis said:

Yeah what? Quake 1 literally is 3D Doom.

Quake 1 isn't exactly 3D Doom, it's a bit more stop and go, but it's pretty close.

DooM_RO said:

No wonder it's so awesome. The team was not made only by old Quake mappers but also by a professional who is into Quake and has worked on various AAA games.

http://www.simonoc.com/

He goes by the name of Sock on those forums.

Sock is the god of quake mapping. Many (read: all) of his maps are so well laid out and so well detailed it puts many modern singleplayer FPS games to shame (well, considering he helped make one of the best maps in WolfET, as well as two levels for Crysis Warhead...)

DooM_RO said:

Not even close.

gonna have to agree here. while there are some really, really nice looking Doom maps out there (and Torm's maps do certainly tend to strive for a lot of graphical fanciness), seeing these Quake maps makes me feel like mapping in Doom is, structurally at least, really really limiting, which is something I think over time I have just accepted or gotten used to without thinking much of it. the lighting in Quake adds a lot of atmosphere that I think is just really, really tedious to achieve in Doom's engine. all that being said...

VGA said:

Amazing aesthetics. Shame about Quake's gameplay, though.

I never played Quake much and thus never really got accustomed to its gameplay like I have with doom, so it's really hard for me to judge at this point how much I am enjoying the gameplay. I mean I am definitely enjoying what I'm playing, but I can't tell if that's because the gameplay in these maps or even Quake in general has the same depth as Doom or because shooting stuff in a game like this is just kind of fun no matter what. the grenade zombies definitely make gameplay interesting and are pretty different from anything in Doom, but man I miss revenants and mancubi. I would certainly be curious to hear thoughts on gameplay depth of Quake v Doom from others a bit more educated than myself

Tango said:

gonna have to agree here. while there are some really, really nice looking Doom maps out there (and Torm's maps do certainly tend to strive for a lot of graphical fanciness), seeing these Quake maps makes me feel like mapping in Doomis, structurally at least, really really limiting, which is something I think over time I have just accepted or gotten used to without thinking much of it. the lighting in Quake adds a lot of atmosphere that I think is just really, really tedious to achieve in Doom's engine. all that being said...

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt about it. I never game much thought to Quake. I really wish there was a way to use brushes in Doom.

yeah I feel you. or just have Doom monsters in Quake :D I really love the movement in Quake, though some things do feel off in comparison to Doom... getting hit by projectiles, for examples, feels waaay less obvious, and actually even keeping track of projectiles does too because the few in the game seem to have so many projectile trails. maybe it's just that I'm not quite used to things yet. I also really like the idea of having models vs sprites. if I wanted to let's say give Doom's revenant a completely new attack then I would have to do a lot of spritework, but rigging up some new animations for an existing model sounds like a lot less work (and more flexibility!)