Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

You MUST play this Quake map pack.

VGA said:

Shame about Quake's gameplay, though.

I know who I'm NOT inviting to my birthday party! =P

Tango said:

gonna have to agree here. while there are some really, really nice looking Doom maps out there (and Torm's maps do certainly tend to strive for a lot of graphical fanciness), seeing these Quake maps makes me feel like mapping in Doomis, structurally at least, really really limiting, which is something I think over time I have just accepted or gotten used to without thinking much of it. the lighting in Quake adds a lot of atmosphere that I think is just really, really tedious to achieve in Doom's engine. all that being said...

The grass is always greener. It takes a lot longer to put a quake map together, I think, than an equivalently-sized Doom map; and to do something of the quality of this map pack or the non-speedmapping jams, a HUGE amount of time. I don't think I've ever seen something in Quake that does the kind of things that "Going Down" does, or "Adventures of Square" (I think; haven't actually played that anyway).

But the great news is: as a player OR a mapper, you don't have to choose: play both! mod for both!

Maybe we should have a Quake section in our forums and a Doom section on theirs? I see no reason why the communities should be split. I think we could learn a lot for each-other.

DooM_RO said:

I see no reason why the communities should be split.

I do see a few ones: Quake is a different franchise than Doom and running on a different engine. There are differences between their design and gameplay principles in the official games. Both technical and practical aspects of Quake modding, playing and distributing Quake mods are very different from Doom modding, playing and distributing Doom mods. The history/legacy of both communities are almost completely separate. Not nearly everybody interested in Quake is also interested in Doom, and vice versa.

I think the occasional Quake thread on Doomworld and Doom thread on Quake forums is just alright.

scifista42 said:

I do see a few ones: Quake is a different franchise than Doom and running on a different engine. There are differences between their design and gameplay principles in the official games. Both technical and practical aspects of Quake modding, playing and distributing Quake mods are very different from Doom modding, playing and distributing Doom mods. The history/legacy of both communities are almost completely separate. Not nearly everybody interested in Quake is also interested in Doom, and vice versa.

I think the occasional Quake thread on Doomworld and Doom thread on Quake forums is just alright.

Maybe you're right.

Jon said:

The grass is always greener. It takes a lot longer to put a quake map together, I think, than an equivalently-sized Doom map; and to do something of the quality of this map pack or the non-speedmapping jams, a HUGE amount of time. I don't think I've ever seen something in Quake that does the kind of things that "Going Down" does, or "Adventures of Square" (I think; haven't actually played that anyway).

But the great news is: as a player OR a mapper, you don't have to choose: play both! mod for both!

ahh fair enough. I suppose I was so swept away I didn't think much about differences in effort that goes into it. I like your thinking though; perhaps both is the answer :D

What would be the most advanced project in a modern Doom source port? Architecturally?

Wasn't there some mod at one point that looked really crazy/like another game entirely and the author said regarding requirements that if you could run Crysis at medium then you could play their mod? It was a first person survival horror.

All these Hexen 2 monsters make me wish people mapped for Hexen 2 still. Or, ever.

Speaking of which the maps look absolutely incredible but I don't feel the gameplay is quite at the same level I guess? It's pretty good but it's not engaging me the same way some other good Quake maps do, or really, most good Doom maps. Some of that might have to do with the new content: I don't know that the mod needed half of Hexen 2's monsters + things from other Quake mods/packs + a dozen grunt and enforcer variants + a bunch of variants for other monsters, it feels a bit like it's trying to rely on novelty instead of solid fundamental gameplay. IDK, maybe that's just me, I feel the same way with ZDoom mods that throw a bunch of new monsters at you, even when they're well-made. That skull wizard that teleports, and spawns lost souls that explode for splash damage when killed, sure is annoying though.

I also think that Doom and Quake's gameplay and feel are extremely different, at least as far as old-school FPSes go. I think Q2 is closer to Doom, though still not the same. Like Jon was getting at, Doom's got a lot more flexibility in what you can do for maps and mods than Quake or pretty much anything else.

A proper 3D lighting system is amazing though, no denying that. Try playing Quake with "r_fullbright 1" and see just how bland everything suddenly looks :)

also: no one's mentioned QuakeInjector yet? Makes installing and playing Quake maps super super easy. https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector

plums said:

All these Hexen 2 monsters make me wish people mapped for Hexen 2 still. Or, ever.

Yeah it's a shame really. I think there's only two mission pack style add-ons available for it as well (one for regular H2 and the other requiring PoP), but I forgot what they're called, and they're both by one guy.

Oh man, Edge of Chaos, they're still plugging away at that huh? It's been like a decade now or something. I'd love it if they actually released it, but at this point I've stopped holding my breath...

Started to play this map pack and it's really a piece of art! Though I would enjoy it even more if the levels where joined together to form a continuous campaign instead of disjointed levels accessable from that, admittedly beautiful, start hub.

But I need your help! I am at Foggy Bogbottom, reached the exit teleportal, but there are still so many extra areas I want to see. I only found 10 out of 25 or so secrets.

Can someone give me a hint where I can find the silver key and the purple key?

You guys know any good Quake 2 map packs? Preferably of the same quality as Arcane Dimensions.

negke said:

I've yet to play this myself, so I can't give any hints, but maybe there's something helpful in the release thread over at Func_Msgboard.

Yes, I scanned that thread, but no hints so far. I managed to find some more secrets on my own, discovered one of the silver keys and have now access to the roof area. Only to encounter another locked door that needs the Blood Key. There should really be an in-depth walkthrough for this level :)

DooM_RO said:

You guys know any good Quake 2 map packs? Preferably of the same quality as Arcane Dimensions.

Slight Mechanical Destruction by Musashi http://musashi.backshooters.com/

Pax Imperia by Mark Shan http://www.markshan.com/podstrn/noviprj.htm

But you have to keep in mind that the Quake2 mapping community is much smaller then the Q1 community and there are not many mappers like for example Sock, who has more then a decade mapping experience in Q1.

Tetzlaff said:

there are not many mappers like for example Sock, who has more then a decade mapping experience in Q1.

I don't think Sock made any Q1 maps prior to his "In The Shadows" mod back in 2012. :)

Tetzlaff said:

Started to play this map pack and it's really a piece of art! Though I would enjoy it even more if the levels where joined together to form a continuous campaign instead of disjointed levels accessable from that, admittedly beautiful, start hub.

But I need your help! I am at Foggy Bogbottom, reached the exit teleportal, but there are still so many extra areas I want to see. I only found 10 out of 25 or so secrets.

Can someone give me a hint where I can find the silver key and the purple key?

Hehe, it took me a LONG time to find those.

If you are really desperate to find out, someone has done some nightmare runs on YT that cover most secrets.

FifthElephant said:

I don't think Sock made any Q1 maps prior to his "In The Shadows" mod back in 2012. :)

I meant he has a decade of experience in working with Quake engines. He made some quality Quake 3 Arena maps prior to his Q1 work.

Jon said:

Hehe, it took me a LONG time to find those.

Could you give me a hint where I can find the Blood Key? Or the Purple Key?

Tetzlaff said:

I meant he has a decade of experience in working with Quake engines. He made some quality Quake 3 Arena maps prior to his Q1 work.

Oh yeah he's a pro designer and credited on a number of AAA games.

I worked on the mod but even I struggle to find everything in Swampy, MFX has a crazy imagination...

You know, I think it would be interesting to see some well-known Quake mappers make a few Doom maps, and vice versa :)

Tetzlaff said:

Oh god I really cant' remember. I just tried running through it again to find out and I couldn't find it. I guess you got onto the roof, but you need the blood key to get further...

What i can remember is: you get the rune by getting all the codexes; the purple key gets you a silly secret. That's about it.

AD_79 said:

You know, I think it would be interesting to see some well-known Quake mappers make a few Doom maps, and vice versa :)

There's https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/a-c/beyv1 and https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/0-9/1024_neg by negke, who is better known as a quake mapper

AD_79 said:

I've dabbled with the Doom editor making E1M1 for Doom 64 EX. I think if I make anything it will be for that game -

http://imgur.com/N1ttQO8

Also this is just one of the maps, made by myself, coming in the latest update. Hope you guys and gals will be downloading and playing it!

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/754448504832061440

I do wonder if some of these maps using the vanilla textures will automatically work with the texture packs with the special effects such as the normalmapping in Darkplaces.