Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

You MUST play this Quake map pack.

Wow, that looks awesome. Too bad I'll have to play it Quakespasm instead of DarkPlaces.
When you think about it,with all these Zdoom features, why couldn't Quake mappers make maps for Doom?

Zapzop, you're in luck. DarkPlaces was a target engine and should work fine with the mod. However not all maps support real time lighting, there should be a dark places config file included for you to exec.

Well, it looks like we're going to have at least one more update to this since there's a map entrance in the 1.5 update area without a map attached. Am I right?

E: ad_sepulcher is the one I'm thinking of.

FifthElephant said:

Zapzop, you're in luck. DarkPlaces was a target engine and should work fine with the mod. However not all maps support real time lighting, there should be a dark places config file included for you to exec.

Alright.Doom_RO said that it has weird artifacts in DarkPlaces so I thought I will run it in QuakeSpasm like he suggested.

I've had zero problems running it with Darkplaces in the past. Some of the effects were created with Darkplaces specifically in mind.

Like many around here, Level Design is one of my passions. My dream is to as good as this guy one day. His stuff is just incredible.

If Id ever make a Quake 1 sequel, I'd like this guy to call the shots. He's worked on a few AAA games too and it shows.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Well, it looks like we're going to have at least one more update to this since there's a map entrance in the 1.5 update area without a map attached. Am I right?

E: ad_sepulcher is the one I'm thinking of.

Yes, there is a map that is not included that is on a delayed released. Early versions of this map have been excellent so far, it will be worth the wait!

I'm sure that Sock isn't done with AD completely yet, 1.5 is a weird number to end on. I think we'll see a 2.0 at least.

Sock should just call Id, show them his stuff and ask them to let him be the lead on the Quake 1 sequel.

Just played it - really good mod. Excellent mapping, nice tweaks and mods to existing actors and weapons and nice new stuff too.

Thanks for the link. I somehow managed to miss this mod,and it's incredible how good such an old engine can look. Beautiful. I would have guessed quake3 engine from some Screenshots, not quake1. I just hope I get time to play it soon...

I assume from this thread that some people here are interested in Arcane Dimensions (Quake mod) and we finally finished the latest (1.5) update, a new map "The Forgotten Sepulcher". Normally I don't post here as I don't make Doom maps, so please understand if I get the forum etiquette wrong.

Here is some screenshots to tempt you ...

http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_sepulcher1a.jpg

http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_sepulcher1b.jpg

http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_sepulcher1c.jpg

How do you play this map?

Download AD 1.5 from this page - http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

(You don't need to download the patch, its included in the Sepulcher map zip file)

Download AD Sepulcher - http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_sepulcher.zip

Install AD 1.5 and then install (over the top) AD Sepulcher map.

This will update the mod and code to version 1.6 (the latest)

Due to the size and complexity of the new map, a new Quake client is required with extended map limits.

http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/quakespasm-admod-win32.zip
http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/quakespasm-admod-macOS.zip

The new Quake client zip file contains two different engines, the regular QS and a new fancy particle and weather effects version (quakespasm-spike) that looks very similar to Darkplaces. The new clients do have a new mod menu to start the AD mod easier (don't have to worry about shortcut parameters). Unfortunately the new map does not work with Darkplaces or MarkV at the moment, but hopefully they will be updated to cope with the extended limits at some point in the future. For the moment use the client above for this map.

To start the mod use the new mod menu and select the mod (AD) directory. Then either load up the start hub map (new game) or load the hub map ad_chapters (directly from the console) which has the new portal for the new map "The Forgotten Sepulcher". Pick your skill level via the skill pillars and then jump through the portal. (right side next to spawn point)

Hopefully all this waffle will help with the installation and we (AD team) plan to release one complete zip of the mod at some point in the future to make this process easier. For the moments its unfortunately 2 zips and a new client.

Also one last thing, there is full instructions in the ad_sepulcher_readme file, text waffle on how the map was constructed and a full list of secrets, objectives and things of interest to find in the map. So be aware of spoilers in the file if you scroll down too far!

1 hour ago, schwerpunk said:

Is that Ogre... fishing?

Indeed! Its what all ogres do when not chainsawing or spamming grenades. The fishing ogre is a passive monster which when attacked will stop fishing and relentlessly attack the player for disturbing its chance to catch a bite to eat.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

@SimonOC

IT IS BEAUTIFUL!

I hope you will stick around the forums. Maybe make some Doom maps too!

Thanks and maybe ...

Recently finished this for the first time with the latest release. Awesome work. Thank you!

Over 4 years and this thread has just recently been resurrected by the mod's own author with a new version. Arcane Dimensions is such a great torch-bringer of OG Quake legacy.

On 2/3/2016 at 10:08 AM, scifista42 said:

Nope. There is typically a linedef action called "3D floor" which you put onto a linedef in a little dummy sector outside the main playable area in the map, and make it affect another sector inside the main playable area in the map. It will create a "platform" horizontally covering the entire area of the main sector, but vertically being placed at a certain height, defined by the dummy sector's floor and ceiling heights. That's the basic principle.

however

if a fork of gzdoom added support for BSP maps and RTX (and we got a BSP editor to support it)... then we could finally bring doom in to the new era

I have installed this mod and am trying to use it (1.8p1) with the latest QSS freshly built from the repo; with little experience of Quake I may be doing something really dense, but when you start SP you rise up on a platform that you then have to jump off to get to the skill selector pillars. So I do that and select a skill level. But whenever I enter any portal for any level, it just finishes immediately saying time (a minute or so), secrets 0/1 and kills 0/0! (0 out of 0 monsters?)

Is this a bug in the mod, or in QSS or am I really stupid?

On 11/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, Martin Howe said:

Is this a bug in the mod, or in QSS or am I really stupid?

That's just how it is. Once the "finished" screen shows, just press the Jump button to start playing the level you chose.

October has been an excellent month for Quake, just look at these. Dwell, Raven Keep, Epochs of Enmity, and the Arcane Dimensions update... The rest is worth a look too.

On 11/4/2020 at 10:28 PM, SimonOC said:

Time to resurrect this thread! A new version (1.8) of Arcane Dimensions (quake mod) has been released!

Download from this page - http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

downloaded it already. playing it with qss or vkq. man is that map pack great. it's what quake should have been... well, if pcs back thencould have run that  ;)