Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Short lasting series that you adore?

Post any series that got under 5 seasons released but got canceled in the end and you would've liked to see more episodes.

They don't have to be TV series, nor cartoons.

--Here are my opinions (no likelyness order)--

1.Kid vs. Kat
Fast paced humour with likeable charaters, familiar to Tom & and jerry.

2.Ozzy and Drix
More on the smart side, still a gem to me, way better than the half-assed shit movie.

3.Adventures of Sonic the hedgehog
More on the progressive adventurous plot side, interesting to watch.

4.Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson
Surprise, surprise, I watch films too.
This is a soviet adaptation of sherlock holmes, and the most interesting sherlock series of the many others.

5.Sam and max freelance police
Well done, fast paced with clean non-offending humor.

Kings lasted only one season on tv, and while there were a couple bad episodes I thought the show had potential to be pretty good. When it was officially canned I was a bit disappointed.

Rome absolutely should have had a 3rd or even a 4th season.

This isn't one of my personal favorites but I do have a couple friends very disappointed of its cancellation. The Sci-Fi Firefly series, only a single series from my understanding.

Tarnsman said:

So SHORT now means under FIVE seasons?

Yeah, with criteria like that, probably far more shows are eligible than not. When I think a short series I'd think of something, like, 13 episodes or less?

@Chezza: You mean a single season. I know a number of people upset over it, but it got a movie to tie up some loose ends (Serenity). Unless there's a different Firefly.

IFC had a quirky show called Out There that doesn't seem to be coming back for a second season. It was kind of fun, though it wasn't anything too new. But it had a neat atmosphere and some quirky looking characters. I guess I don't know what could have happened to further the plot, and maybe once it ended it had ntohing more to say, but it's hard to tell.

Korgoth of Barbaria was a pilot for Adult Swim. It was pretty fucking awesome in that "This is stupid" kind of way. I think it's like an over-the-top Power Metal kind of show. Barbarians, dinosaurs, wizards, giant birds, etc...

Lakewood Plaza Turbo is some kind of video game inspired cartoon pilot. Filled with references to older gaming, plus that weird retro-80s vibe that keeps trying to poke its head in everywhere. Although mostly based on Street Fighter and mini-malls, I remember a number of Commander Keen references, including a kid wearing a pink shirt with a Green Bay Packers helmet, and the Dopefsh could be seen on a TV screen. I heard somewhere that this show was picked up after a few years of sitting around, but who knows.

Oh, and Terra Nova.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was an excellent series but it doesn't look like we'll get a third season; they've already made a new four part OVA and greenlight what I can only assume is going to be a piss poor live action American version - something they really need to stop doing with anime in general.

The other one I would have loved to see more of was Space Dandy. That show was so well put together and so out there that they could have done more with it. As it is, like Cowbow Bebop it lasts long enough to tell a compelling story with interesting characters but doesn't overstay its welcome.

Star Trek (TOS) - 3 Seasons.
Space Above and Beyond - Lasted for only the one season with 23 episodes.
Firefly - Really should have lasted longer than the 1 season like Chezza said.
Rocko's Modern Life - Twas 4 seasons.

Two promising recentish series that were cancelled too soon:
Monday Mornings
Battle Creek

The miniseries The Assets was pretty good, despite it apparently getting such low ratings that the network had problems even finding slots in which to burn off the episodes.

Doomkid said:

Dragonball Z

Seconded. I felt it really could have used more episodes. The pacing felt just too rushed.

The Funimation English dub of Shin Chan. Still one of the funniest Adult Swim shows ever. Only three seasons which ran from 2007-2011 but they're all pure gold to me. The show reminds me of South Park but even weirder.

Ichor said:

Korgoth of Barbaria

Good call. Humor sat somewhere beautiful between Spongebob and Metalocalypse but with a medieval twist.. It was fantastic.

Twin Peaks, obviously. I don't care what the ratings said, I loved every minute of it.

@Johnatone: GitS SAC was really cool, but it must've been hard to write consistently. The Solid State Society movie was a nice bow to tie it up, too. Perhaps ending it in time before the writing deteriorated should be seen as a positive.

How about that Alien Nation, which was a ratings success but got canned thanks to network financial troubles?

Or Carnivále, which had six planned seasons but got the boot after two?

This thread reminds me that my dad was well in to Crime Story back in the day but I never got around to watching it.

dew said:

Perhaps ending it in time before the writing deteriorated should be seen as a positive.

I can agree with this; better to have a little bit of a great thing than dilute it. Looks at the Simpsons which has gone on so long they're now ret-conning the character's origins to stay fresh or Bleach which I stopped after episode 30 because I realized there were like 400 episodes left most of which towards the end are pointless fillers.

That's why I've generally enjoyed FX dramas like Rescue Me and Justified, well written shows that quit while they were ahead. I would have loved to see more of Legit, both funny and charming but at least they were able to tie it up in the end.

I personally would have liked to see more of The Cleveland Show which I really liked; it was funny and self aware and unlike Family Guy really wasn't trying to shove any political ideas down my throat. On that note I much prefer American Dad over Family Guy as well; FG has turned to shit as of late.

While not technically ended, the Venture Bros is a great show that has me totally engaged. I only mention it because it takes them so flipping long to make a new season - only 5 since 2003 with the 6th starting this year. Most shows have jumped the shark in the same time frame.