Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revan1141

First level of my new WAD done, looking for criticsm

So I've finally gotten around to making a WAD, and I wanted to try my hand at making a lengthy WAD, with slaughter-house themes going on.

I've started work on a WAD I will call "The Tortured Base", which will start out difficult and have the difficulty ramp up over the course of the levels, the first 5 taking place in a base themed thing, and then 3 Hell levels which involve getting into a fortress.

I'm trying to be alot more detailed and open in my mapping, and use alot less doors. There's not a single door on the first map, except for a secret one and the blue door.

So here's the first level, let me know what you think.

NOTE: It uses scripts, and was made in Doom in Hexen Format.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xomb3kcfdcm02ag

Also, I have made it so the map has full support for different difficulty settings. I recommend playing on Ultra Violent, as that's what I had in mind while making it, but it works for lower difficulties too.

Played it on UV. I died at the beginning on the first play, but made it through the level on the second try. I played it a couple more times and I died a few more times before finishing.

I found the secret, but I'm not sure I would have if I hadn't read your post :P I enjoyed the map, but a few things made it less fun than it could have been. Overall I feel like that isn't enough health, and way more shotgun ammo than I needed. Even after playing the level a few times I never finished on full health, but always had full shells.

The combat was mostly fun, but it felt like the first death happened because I didn't know what to do and was getting hit from everywhere. Personally I dislike starting a map in combat. I felt like I was taking a lot of damage from behind or just from enemies I hadn't seen yet, and the lack of health meant that there wasn't any way to recover. The beginning especially was tough, with the initial ambush and then having to run out of cover to pick up the shotgun.

Aside from those things I enjoyed the map. It looked good and the combat was fun. I don't mind that it was short, but I felt like I'd just gotten on top of things when it ended, so it "could" be longer if you wanted it to be. Looking forward to the next map :)

Not bad, not bad at all. :)

A bit short, kinda like an experimental map or first level of a Pwad. Reasonable level of detail and a fair challenge, balanced good.

ShadesMaster said:

Not bad, not bad at all. :)

A bit short, kinda like an experimental map or first level of a Pwad. Reasonable level of detail and a fair challenge, balanced good.

Well it is the first level of a Pwad!

It plays pretty well. I'd just like to say that the very beginning is practically impossible on Nightmare. It's almost impossible not to take damage while killing the nearby shotgunners.
On UV, it's hard but not unfair and people are going to die a pair of times before finishing it.

It could also use some more decoration. It doesn't looks bad, but it doesn't looks great.

The secret was great, by the way.

A little on the basic side, but hey, it's not bad. I feel like you could very easily convert this to Boom format, though!