Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

DOOM on Game Informer

Looks like this month's issue of GI is going to have a 12 page cover story, jam packed with new content.

Article: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/01/06/game-informer-february-cover-reveal-doom-2416160408.aspx

GI will also have a "Hub" page open that will update with new features, stories, and screenshots every day for the next week.

One interesting thing to note, is that in the video, they describe as the whole game's visual aesthetic as being heavily influenced by DOOM's original Box Art.

New Images:

http://i.imgur.com/xCn78qe.jpg?1

That screenshot of the pinky is from the exit room of E1M5.

Also, that new Baron is a 100% certified badass motherfucker.

They redesigned imps? I don't know if adding eyes make them look better.... Well it's now clear that we have this kaiju-like approach to the classic demon look.

id.dav said:

They redesigned imps? I don't know if adding eyes make them look better.... Well it's now clear that we have this kaiju-like approach to the classic demon look.

I don't think it's a total redesign.
Remember how DOOM 3 had the Hell versions of enemies that would appear as well?
I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for here.
Blueish Purple hell means Imps with Yellow eyes and Purple tinted skin.
Either that, or they could actually be Nightmare Imps, which would be reasonable considering how much inspiration this game seems to be taking from DOOM 64.

Alot of people are whining about color usage... (EDIT: On other forums) Am I the only one thinking that, yes, while the colors COULD be brighter they are more colorful than most games nowadays? It only looks as if the contrast is a little low on the cacodemons and the armor, but that could also be the fog (for the caco's at least).

actinide2k9 said:

Alot of people are whining about color usage... (EDIT: On other forums) Am I the only one thinking that, yes, while the colors COULD be brighter they are more colorful than most games nowadays? It only looks as if the contrast is a little low on the cacodemons and the armor, but that could also be the fog (for the caco's at least).

We, so far, have a grey industrial area with bright orange lava
We have a bright piss yellow hell section
Now we have a giant wide open purple-ish desert/demon carcass graveyard

It has more variety than Doom 3 has; people need to get over it, a modern Doom won't have bright flashy colors, nor should it

We have already seen (or at least I have) several different imp variants in the videos and screen shots.

The imps have come in Dark Grey, Brown and Dark Olive Green. It could be the lighting however.

Anyways Is that hub link at the bottom the face of the new baron of hell? Doesn't look like the concept art.

This is very exciting! Of course, after seeing the new baron, it just emphasizes how unthreatening the cyberdemon still is. It's still weird to me that every monster looks great except the cyberdemon. And I think it really just boils down, at this point, to those motherfucking antlers. The purple imps are interesting although I hope we see the other version as well. All of this is looking good overall. As to the color palette, it looks like there's a lot going and I'm enjoying that quite a bit. It looks like the locations will be pretty diverse, too.

I wish they just redisigned the Imp and the Cyberdemon. What the fuck were they thinking when they gave him antlers?!

Imp looks fine although that new purple one is a bit strange. I like it though. The antlers have got to go because I think it'll look just fine if they alter it to horns or at least something aggressive.

I really have no clue why everyone finds the Cyberdemon design so offensive.
I actually like it. Those horns make him look more regal, imposing, and big.

I just texted my girlfriend and told her to make sure to keep this month's GI as we've just been chucking them in the trash as of late, and she said, "Oh, that came a couple days ago." I was like what the hell woman?! Lol. Can't wait to get back and read it; I'm absolutely ecstatic about the new Doom, more so now that I've played the alpha twice and I'm going to salivate over every detail they release. That new baron looks badass. Can't wait to mow his ass down. I notice the cyberdemon looks better in the picture than in motion; he looked kind of Fischer Price in the E3 reveal.

The Civ said:

It makes him look like a demonic moose.

Looking at the sketches I'm wondering of that's a version of the Cacodemon or the Pain Elemental?

Judging from the sketches, it looks like they've got the Pinky right...

And I like that Baron. This is what the D3 Hell Knight should have been.

The Civ said:

I didn't like Doom 3's Cyberdemon, either - too chunky, imho. But that didn't ruin Doom 3 for me, and it probably won't ruin Doom 2016 for me, either.

There's something about it that reminds me of the models in GoW: bloated fatmen with no sense of smart use of triangles. Contrasted by Doom 3's excellent, sleek imp.

s13n1 said:

The issue is available already on the iPad app.

Might be because im Australian and living in the future..

I posted some new screens on my blog:

http://qdhd.tumblr.com/

That Lost Soul is literally perfect.
I also gotta point out that the Cacos seem much more colorful than before.
Is it just lighting, or perhaps the guys over at ID are actually listening?

First time I saw the Lost Soul!

Man the screenshots alone are making me more and more excited for this game.

That art is fucking superb, so glad to see they're not afraid to put some color in there. Badass monster designs!

s13n1 said:

I posted some new screens on my blog:

Thanks for that, that made my day. Those looks awesome.

In regards to the Cacos, I think they always were colourful, but the environment and colour grading made it hard to see.

Its looking pretty darn awesome!

The article covers some really interesting things, its worth the purchase!

The descriptions of the levels is great. One Hell level sees you walking over a big open landscape and walking into the skull of a huge dead demon, then dropping several stories underground into a huge underground hellish cavern.

It looks amazing in the cover pic.

Goes into upgrades for skills, to increase health and armor etc.

Talks about the glory kills, how they can be chained up to offer a speed boost.

It all sounds really good.

There is a small concept of a fully armored up Manc.

Only the feet, shoulders, lower face and stomach is exposed.

It looks awesome, like a Doom3 meets anime inspired green military mech design.

It has what looks like bigger guns and a huge back pack with pipes connected tot he guns. Probably a proper flame thrower i imagine.

There's a shot of the new baron i didnt post, cause it has Game Informer stuff all over it.

Ill crop it.. Give me a minute..

New Doom Baron by Doom HD, on Flickr