• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

DOOM on Game Informer

DooM_RO said:

It doesn't get more Doom than this.

http://i.imgur.com/jOjQsdW.jpg

Oddly enough, looking at that the first thing I thought of was this one map from Rayman 2. And also whooooooooa this game looks cool as hell actually, drastically exceeding my expectations. Whoooaaaa cool that skull is cool and I like the purple imps purple is soooo cooool whoa I hope they throw poison or something. And that baron, whoa.

Wow, those cacos look incredible! I wasn't convinced by the cyberdemon initially but the style seems to fit in the new screens...

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I love how the first thing you see in the article is a screaming revenant next to a giant red "A"

They did that on purpose. They had too.

I like that they actually brought the Baron back and distinguished them in general besides being a tougher palette swap of the Hellknight. Now the devs can liberally use Hellknights as aggressive monsters in fights, and then reserve the Barons for real hectic or intense battles in a way that's all their own rather than just the same thing with more health. That is unless they're bosses/mini-bosses, ala the Bruiser Brothers at the end of Episode 1.

Barons have that special place in our hearts to instill fear even if we got full ammo reserve for rocket launcher and plasma rifle. I personally wouldn't mind if there was even tougher Barons going from red/pink to black or so.

edit: I can't type

I love all the new pieces of information but all I wanna know is are the maps gonna be mazes and will there be a bunch of tricky puzzle solving? That's one of my favorite things about Doom. I know there's color keycards again and I know there's secrets. But one of my fondest memories of playing Doom when it originally came out was getting stuck in levels because I was lost. Then finding my way felt so much more satisfying. That's all I realllllly wanna know. Everything else looks fuckin awesome!

MrDeAD1313 said:

I love all the new pieces of information but all I wanna know is are the maps gonna be mazes and will there be a bunch of tricky puzzle solving? That's one of my favorite things about Doom. I know there's color keycards again and I know there's secrets. But one of my fondest memories of playing Doom when it originally came out was getting stuck in levels because I was lost. Then finding my way felt so much more satisfying. That's all I realllllly wanna know. Everything else looks fuckin awesome!

With the album I made before and the posts, yes, colored keycards return in some format. The environments seem to encourage exploration for upgrades, too, so there's a lot to guess at but a bit more firmer knowledge that the paths aren't going to be a single linear route all over the place at least.

DooM_RO said:

Bleh, what a waste of time. Nothing new but corporate circlejerking. Give me some REAL news, Gameinformer.

I'm actually fine hearing about stuff like this, and think it's pretty entertaining, but I really just want to see some new footage.
The screenshots are super nice, but I want to see the Cacos in motion, and see just what it'll be like fighting the Pinky and Baron.

Eris Falling said:

So here we see the Baron properly for the first time

LANEGRACABRA said:

crazy how much better and goaty the baron looks when you realize it's got nostrils.

RikohZX said:

I like that they actually brought the Baron back

I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works here. Are we sure that's a Baron of Hell? At least as we know it?

This image is concept art, and looks great, but has no sense of scale -

But this one that s13n1 posted later, has a better sense of scale, because it's an ingame shot.

The demon is reaching toward the player and there's the player model in shot.

To quote a certain Sam Stone, "Look at the size of that thing!" That demon is friggin HUGE. The player is clearly standing on a ledge to be able to look in in the face. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever that is, is as tall if not taller than the Cyberdemon we've seen.

I didn't really put it together that that's the baron, because it looks significantly different from the concept art.

RikohZX said:

With the album I made before and the posts, yes, colored keycards return in some format. The environments seem to encourage exploration for upgrades, too, so there's a lot to guess at but a bit more firmer knowledge that the paths aren't going to be a single linear route all over the place at least.

Yeah, I've noticed the sense of scale is at least on par with the original game in and many cases is much grander. It's definitely a lot fucking bigger than Doom 3's environments. Most all of the gameplay video we've been shown suggests that there's always different paths to take. I think more than likely there will be a lot of exploration, though I'm a bit disappointed that this important element has been largely ignored in the press.

GoatLord said:

I didn't really put it together that that's the baron, because it looks significantly different from the concept art.

It has the same head.

The baron concept and image are actually similar. If you look at the exoskeleton and compare it is almost the same. It just lost some of its crustacean look in game.

Speaking of which - the in game shot doesn't really scale or make much sense. Is the baron bending down onto the player or is the monster very far away and massive? Maybe the baron mantling up a ledge?

Zemini said:

The baron concept and image are actually similar. If you look at the exoskeleton and compare it is almost the same. It just lost some of its crustacean look in game.

Speaking of which - the in game shot doesn't really scale or make much sense. Is the baron bending down onto the player or is the monster very far away and massive? Maybe the baron mantling up a ledge?

I think the player is looking UP at the Baron.

I'm glad they made the Baron pink. If they gave him some hairy legs he'd be perfect. I actually think seeing a long tongue hanging from the side of his mouth like the cover arm would look fitting on that design.

Piper Maru said:

I think the player is looking UP at the Baron.

Yeah, I think you can see the Baron's knee right above the fog on the far left.
Looks like he's leaning down.

I reckon the baron is just up close.

Its most likely the same baron we found in the gameplay videos, the player might be above it or jumping. I doubt very much its the same size, or bigger than the Cyber. It makes no sense.

I just hope they give the larger demons nice booming foot steps, to really emphasize the weight and size of them. It did sound like the hellknight did during the hologram recording, so that's promising.

The lack of reloading is great. I play sikkmod like that and it makes Doom3 so much more fun.

The upgrade stuff with runes and powerups is not something im too excited by. Usually i don't bother with that kinda stuff in games, and would rather just get better at the game rather than trying to constantly adjust the setup to suit the situation.

They will have to be careful to not overdo it, as it could slow things down and lead to players stopping before every encounter to set themselves up.

I'm starting to think the game might play out like metroid prime, and have some hub design and back tracking. It's an idea i had for my project, so that the player could return to previous levels once they had found keys or equipment, and access previously inaccessible areas. Like once you find a Biohazard suit, you can return to areas with slime and explore them to find secret areas.

With the demon portal things they talk about, they can be used to respawn more demons in previously explored areas, so when you go back for a locked door, there's a new area open with a portal that's caused them all to return.

Just when my excitement couldn't get any more for this game, i come home from work yesterday to see the Game Informer feature. I reckon im watching the Bethesda showcase videos at least twice a day. The anticipation is killing me!

GoatLord said:

It makes him look like a demonic moose.

Well the original design wasn't that good looking either, at least for me.
What I found really threatening is the big rocket launcher that could kill me in one shot.

Makes sense now when you said that he player is looking up. If I were Bethesda I may of used a better shot.

Also, supposedly the massive dead demons in the screenshots are called titans. New Final Boss?

Zemini said:

Makes sense now when you said that he player is looking up. If I were Bethesda I may of used a better shot.

Also, supposedly the massive dead demons in the screenshots are called titans. New Final Boss?

Or maybe a nod to Baphomet (the icon of sin)

jazzmaster9 said:

Well the original design wasn't that good looking either, at least for me.

No, it was just you. The cybernetic minotaur was a great idea. Instant classic. How many demons with cybernetic implants before the Cyberdemon can you think of?

I do like that the Baron and Hellknight have completely different models (assuming thats what they are)
To add, I also REALLY like that the Doom 3 Hellknight is used and the Baron is more original Doom style.
There's also so much color in these new shots!

wheresthebeef said:

I do like that the Baron and Hellknight have completely different models (assuming thats what they are)
To add, I also REALLY like that the Doom 3 Hellknight is used and the Baron is more original Doom style.
There's also so much color in these new shots!

I know, right? I absolutely loved Doom 3´s hellknight, but I was afraid they would use the same model for both him and the baron, or even leave the baron out.

Glad they are using them with different models.