Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

DOOM on Game Informer

GoatLord said:

If there really and truly isn't a way to create outdoor areas and hell/gothic themed maps, that will be the only noteworthy disappointing thing about SnapMap, because it looks like it'll have a lot of overall features.

I expect that the closest you'll get to an outdoors area will just be something like a small enclosed section with fences/forcefields keeping you inside.
Or, certain tiles will have a window that lets you see out in the space/planet skybox.

GoatLord said:

If there really and truly isn't a way to create outdoor areas and hell/gothic themed maps, that will be the only noteworthy disappointing thing about SnapMap, because it looks like it'll have a lot of overall features.

I think that everyone should already deal with the fact that SnapMap won't allow any custom level layout since there's no geometry creation tools. Game modes is the only trully editable thing that we can expect.

ID has the opportunity to seriously cash in on the demand for PC editing tools.

Surely they could cook up some DRM system so that only validated purchases can access the tools?

It wouldn't eliminate piracy, but make a lot of people who pirate it consider purchasing it.

I pay $10 a month to use Cryengine..

I think it may be possible to convince them.

* A lot of the people who complain forget that making a level for a modern game is a heck of a lot harder than slapping a level in Doombuilder 2. In modern games a level is made by multiple, highly skilled people. This means that a large bulk of the community wouldn't even know how to use the tools. That doesn't mean that there aren't people who are willing to use the tools and have the skills to make something worthwhile. I suggest we show them stuff like Phobos, The Dark Mod and those Quake maps I mentioned in the EE thread to show them that there ARE people who have the skills and dedication to make use of these tools.

* Some high-ranking Doomworlder should start a petition of change.org. These do not always work but if we get enough signatures it could. Snapmap should remain as it is but I don't see why a PC-exclusive editor is out of the question.

Jaxxoon R said:

They've already said looking like a highschool metalhead's notebook sketches was a goal from the beginning, and it's kind of expected in something trying to recreate Doom 1-64.

Of course, your tastes will dictate whether or not you like these designs. Personally, I'd say there should be mossy watermelons on stilts that fire gamma radiation, but I understand why it's not there.

They didnt recreate it with most of the demons. Why reuse Doom 3ish hell knights if you wanna go retro comic book 15-year old style? Mix of styles to play it safe maybe.

Mossy watermelons? Give it some time...dont you ever give up hope.

WOW Archvile mages with unicorn spikes, wings, and big teeth will come as well.

id.dav said:

I think that everyone should already deal with the fact that SnapMap won't allow any custom level layout since there's no geometry creation tools.

I'm really hoping you just worded that badly.

GoatLord said:

If there really and truly isn't a way to create outdoor areas and hell/gothic themed maps,

Just because they haven't shown any other environments yet doesn't mean they're not working on more.. tilesets? I guess? for snapmap.

I really hope modding is a thing, or at least a decent level editior.

I think snapmap and traditional modding would go hand in hand beautifully together.

Modders making tile sets and assets compatible with snapmap for morons like me would be wonderful

RobotJoe said:

I really hope modding is a thing, or at least a decent level editior.

I think snapmap and traditional modding would go hand in hand beautifully together.

Modders making tile sets and assets compatible with snapmap for morons like me would be wonderful

I really want traditional modding tools too but people often forget that modding for a modern game is on a whole new level than Doombuilder 2. Out of all the die hard complainers, maybe 5% of them will actually pick the tools up and 2% will make something worthwhile. With Snapmap, everyone can make something decent and playable.

And GoatLord, making organic places like a rocky outdoor area is totally different from making a techbase. One is regular and symmetrical while the other is chaotic and organic. Skyrim mapping is pretty similar to snapmap. You have a few crypt prefabs (for example) that you can "snap" together and you have a catacomb. Making a cave is totally different. If you use only the prefabs it will end up looking strange and unnatural. To make it feel natural you have to also twist and bend the resources like putting and rotating boulders in strange positions. Prefabs simply aren't enough for organic environments. "Manual work" is also required and that seems to go against the principles of Snapmap, that everyone can make something decent and playable that isn't a complete eyesore.

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Twdld0tLc

DooM_RO said:

I really want traditional modding tools too but people often forget that modding for a modern game is on a whole new level than Doombuilder 2. Out of all the die hard complainers, maybe 5% of them will actually pick the tools up and 2% will make something worthwhile. With Snapmap, everyone can make something decent and playable.

And GoatLord, making organic places like a rocky outdoor area is totally different from making a techbase. One is regular and symmetrical while the other is chaotic and organic. Skyrim mapping is pretty similar to snapmap. You have a few crypt prefabs (for example) that you can "snap" together and you have a catacomb. Making a cave is totally different. If you use only the prefabs it will end up looking strange and unnatural. To make it feel natural you have to also twist and bend the resources like putting and rotating boulders in strange positions. Prefabs simply aren't enough for organic environments. "Manual work" is also required and that seems to go against the principles of Snapmap, that everyone can make something decent and playable that isn't a complete eyesore.

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Twdld0tLc

I think DICE never released mod editor for battlefield 3 & 4 as they said it would have been too complex to use outside of a professional studio. I assume this is why Bethesda software stuck with the same engine for fallout 4 as the mod foundations are already there. Unlike unreal and crytek engines I guess the id tech 5 + 6 engines are more bespoke which makes it harder to mod. Like wasn't the RAGE editor a mess or needed god like technical wizardry to use it correctly?

SYS said:

My body is ready.

Best to do stretches and warm-ups beforehand anyway. :P

DooM_RO said:

This a thousand times. This is the reason they went in this direction.

Look at Portal 2 - it has a similar "click together" level editor, and there are lots of proper mod tools available for Source. But there are actually very few proper custom maps/projects out there.

However that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see proper mod tools, though, because usually the stuff that does get made is really good.

AirRaid said:

This a thousand times. This is the reason they went in this direction.

Look at Portal 2 - it has a similar "click together" level editor, and there are lots of proper mod tools available for Source. But there are actually very few proper custom maps/projects out there.

However that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see proper mod tools, though, because usually the stuff that does get made is really good.

Portal 2 at least has its map editor set up in a way that you can create the core features/puzzles and design, and then take it into the actual map editing program of Source and properly modify it in-depth. But oh well.

Considering what was done with Doom before the source was available, i cant see it taking too long before someone cracks the files and maybe one day we can make our own prefabs. Then at least we can import our own levels in small chunks.

Not ideal, but i can see it happening.

This community is pretty hardcore, and if there's a challenge to do something, someone's always willing to take it on.

In the end though, if nothings possible and we're stuck with SnapMp, this might be the incentive for people to throw some more support Doom3's way?

The developer of RBDoom3, the BFG based source mod, is planning to eventually implement physically based rendering. It already has soft shadows and HDR.

If people have been reluctant to work with Doom3 because of how much more difficult it is compared to the original Doom, than you can forget about working with Doom 4.

s13n1 said:

This community is pretty hardcore, and if there's a challenge to do something, someone's always willing to take it on.

So much of this will end up depending on how ZeniMax intends to react. If the game's data ends up being protected with anything that even remotely resembles a "technological measure," then sharing anything about it - binary structure layouts, purposes, etc. - will be illegal, here or anywhere else public. You'd have to go darknet and setup a wiki for it in Tor .onion space, and then hope nobody infiltrates your secret Doom hacking organization to turn it over the the feds.

Barring that, I'm almost certain the game's EULA will forbid modifying game data outside of SnapMap, and probably distributing any third-party patches or modifications outside of approved services. They want control of modding for this game.

Guys, even IF they release the tools what exactly are you going to do with them? Most people couldn't handle the transition from Doom 2 modding to Doom 3. Back in 2005-2007 I saw a lot of projects pop up, wither and die. What exactly makes you think it's going to be different this time? Only 2 big Doom 3 projects survive to this day and they have both been in development for a very long time.

At least one of those is coming along nicely! In fact I have to do some stuff on that today. ;)

again the most im hoping for is tools to allow folks to make custom assets and prefabs to be used with snapmap

SnapMap is probably the only reasonable solution because just making a custom texture or a single decorative item would take a lot of work.

RobotJoe said:

again the most im hoping for is tools to allow folks to make custom assets and prefabs to be used with snapmap

Again, folks, not me.

This is kind of what I'm seeing a lot, people saying they want these tools for some mystical class of map authors, but rarely are they themselves of this class and speaking for themselves.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It isn't .

Well, that's just like, your opinion man. They both look pretty awesome and really scream "DOOM."

Someone compared the purple imp to Doom 64's imp and I have to agree. It's growing on me. But I think the earlier design we saw was much more grotesque and horrifying. I hope we see both and I hope that there's variations in the monsters, like different classes of each monster.

Why do i get this error when accessing gameinformer.com, is it because it's not available for my country? I get this message:

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but there’s an error with your location. Our diligent code monkeys have received this error, and if they are unable to fix it, they will be…dealt with."

Edit: when is the next DOOM update on gameinformer?

Hofmann said:

Why do i get this error when accessing gameinformer.com, is it because it's not available for my country? I get this message:

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but there’s an error with your location. Our diligent code monkeys have received this error, and if they are unable to fix it, they will be…dealt with."

If you leave in a former USSR country (like I do), GameInformer has your IP blocked for some retarded reason. You need to use a proxy.

DooM_RO said:

If you leave in a former USSR country (like I do), GameInformer has your IP blocked for some retarded reason. You need to use a proxy.

I'm from Serbia, not a former USSR country but still, maybe even former Yugoslav (friend of USSR) countries get blocked. Goddamn it, the whole world hates us.

Is there a way to watch videos and see pictures on GameInformer while using a proxy?

Hofmann said:

I'm from Serbia, not a former USSR country but still, maybe even former Yugoslav (friend of USSR) countries get blocked. Goddamn it, the whole world hates us.

Is there a way to watch videos and see pictures on GameInformer while using a proxy?

A proxy is using an IP from another country. It would be as if you accessed the link from the US (for example)

DooM_RO said:

A proxy is using an IP from another country. It would be as if you accessed the link from the US (for example)

Yeah i know that, i can access GameInformer through a proxy but videos and pictures
won't load. When's the next DOOM update on GameInformer?