Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

DOOM on Game Informer

The SnapMap limitations were expected. I just hope that we get additional utilities later. Doom invented moding and map making for the most part. Otherwise I will start a riot!

As for SnapMap, if we are limited to it I expect thousands of different prefabs, tens of thousands of textures and hundreds of variants of the same monsters. Otherwise maps will start to look pretty much the same after a short time.

EDIT: Also, I expect regular updates to the SnapMap library with new everything. If bethesda/id thinks they can satisfy the doom modding community with just SnapMap, they are going to be in world of ridicule.

Damn, next update isn't until Monday, and I've got all this hype.
Send help, I have nowhere to expel this hype.

A summary of the article over on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167645

The chainsaw being a OHK on most enemies sounds really lame. I'd much rather it act the same way it did in the original DOOM games. Hell, they could even go crazy with it and allow you to slice in different directions to take off limbs, ala Shadow Warrior's sword. After all, how many games allow you to use a chainsaw like a fucking sword? That would've been incredibly awesome. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me, and most likely means we'll be treated to the same handful of "kill" animations every time we use the chainsaw.

Everything else sounds pretty good, though, besides the lack of mod tools. I'm especially glad the colored keycards are making a return, and that there will be secret areas to find!

Wow. This new update looks amazing. The new hell levels look great. Almost exactly like the originals. Now I am actually excited to get this game and I might just buy it when it comes out. Hopefully, my comp is powerful enough to run it decently.

chubz said:

A summary of the article over on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167645

The chainsaw being a OHK on most enemies sounds really lame. I'd much rather it act the same way it did in the original DOOM games. Hell, they could even go crazy with it and allow you to slice in different directions to take off limbs, ala Shadow Warrior's sword. After all, how many games allow you to use a chainsaw like a fucking sword? That would've been incredibly awesome. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me, and most likely means we'll be treated to the same handful of "kill" animations every time we use the chainsaw.

Everything else sounds pretty good, though, besides the lack of mod tools. I'm especially glad the colored keycards are making a return, and that there will be secret areas to find!

From what I understand, it uses 'ammo', and bigger enemies waste more of the ammo per kill.
I'm okay with that; its not an infinite ammo weapon, and the fuel for it will probably be rare.

Clonehunter said:

Is it me, or do the Cacodemons look a lot more... Colorful, than earlier screenshots we saw of them?

They are, the colors were given a more bright red saturation, their eyes now glow green, and they even have blue energy in their mouths like the originals. It's pretty much accommodating for that fan edit that passed around shortly after the initial string of screenshots last year without being absolutely cartoonishly bright about it.

RikohZX said:

They are, the colors were given a more bright red saturation, their eyes now glow green, and they even have blue energy in their mouths like the originals. It's pretty much accommodating for that fan edit that passed around shortly after the initial string of screenshots last year without being absolutely cartoonishly bright about it.

I like the new Cacodemon recolor. I liked how they looked before too but the extra red gives it that little bit of iconic nostalgic goodness. And I have to say the Lost Soul looks totally awesome as well. Damn I really need to buy one of the new consoles. I'm so hyped for this!

GoatLord said:

Are you kidding? Many of Doom 3's monster designs are whatever. They look good, but not Doom good, if that makes any sense. I actually feel a sense of repugnance and threat from the new monsters, whereas most of the ones in D3 range from interesting (the pinky, revenant) to fucking stupid (those upside down face spider things and the cacodemons). I do really like the UAC layouts in D3 though and Doom '16 is shaping up to look like, at least in those areas, a very extrapolated version of it.

Doom 3s Hell Knights are supreme and basically rehashed for this.

I dont know man. This new screenshots got imps that look like theyre aliens from halo and baron art that looks like a 15 year old made it. Some of it just doesnt look that evil. The barons appearance in the game looked badass but you couldnt really see it so Im not 100 on that or even sure if the art was actually modeled of the game.

Doom 3's cyber was shit Ill say. Doom 3s Mancubus was THE shit compared to this ones. 2016 Cacos and Revenant minus jetpack are looking damn good.

I barely remember Doom 3s Cacos but I think thats enough to agree on them being crappy looking.

Aesthetic tastes.

Zemini said:

The SnapMap limitations were expected. I just hope that we get additional utilities later. Doom invented moding and map making for the most part. Otherwise I will start a riot!

As for SnapMap, if we are limited to it I expect thousands of different prefabs, tens of thousands of textures and hundreds of variants of the same monsters. Otherwise maps will start to look pretty much the same after a short time.

EDIT: Also, I expect regular updates to the SnapMap library with new everything. If bethesda/id thinks they can satisfy the doom modding community with just SnapMap, they are going to be in world of ridicule.

They won't be releasing additional tools: http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-will-not-get-mod-support-in-addition-to-snapmap/

There certainly won't be thousands of different prefabs. And I don't think Bethesda/id is really worried about satisfying the modding community. They plan to make most of their money from console sales.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Everybody at id plays the new Doom on gamepad. Pathetic.

Yeah, what's up with that shit?

(It's at about 4:00 into the video, for anyone who hasn't yet seen it.)

TheGamePhilosophe said:

That's not the reason they use the gamepad.

Say something positive, I dare you. Or at least neutral.

Hofmann said:

Don´t go too hard on him, how about an easier challenge? XD

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Everybody at id plays the new Doom on gamepad. Pathetic.

The new game better have an arrow keys + right control configuration or else there will be hell to pay

The only FPS i've ever enjoyed with a game pad, was metroid on the gamecube. But that had locked targeting which made it heaps easier / actually playable.

Mouse + Keys all the way.

Hofmann said:

I think the new screen shots look pretty.

Now you say something negative about the new Doom. Double-dare you!

DooM_RO said:

Why would anyone play an FPS with a controller? It makes no sense.

id is console gaming first now, cause that's where the moola is. Tim Willits said it back when they were making RAGE. They designed the game around the gamepad and so of course that's how they play it. Same with DOOM.

DooM_RO said:

Because that's where the majority of the exclusives and market lie now. TPS and FPS alike had their claim to fame on the PlayStation and Xbox consoles since the PS2/OG Xbox, the 360 cemented the market in the genre and it continues on. While Keyboard and Mouse are still the most practical way to play shooters in terms of raw capability, there's a reason why we're lucky to get games with good PC ports or even games that were PC-oriented first, rather than just straightforward console ports to the PC.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

id is console gaming first now, cause that's where the moola is. Tim Willits said it back when they were making RAGE. They designed the game around the gamepad and so of course that's how they play it. Same with DOOM.

Games cost tens of millions of dollars to make nowadays. They have to make that money back so I understand.

As long as it plays well on M/Kb I'm ok with it. It played really well on the Alpha.

DooM_RO said:

Still better than keyboard w/o mouse.

Oh wow looks like they actually listened to the fans. The baddies are more demonic and colourful without going full SeriousSam, and the environments look more interesting too. They actually somewhat resemble stuff from the Doom64 era.

Lost interest after snoozing through the multiplayer demo but this looks promising again.

DooM_RO said:

As long as the speed isn't top-tier like Quake 3/Unreal, then a controller works fine, and that includes the new DOOM.

It's clear by now that DOOM is being built around controllers and consoles, especially with SnapMap. As a PS4 user, I'm really happy that all the user-created content is available to me, and I'm sure that's how iD wants all console users to feel.

With that said, it's not like the PC controls will suffer at all. It's just modding that might upset PC users.

If there really and truly isn't a way to create outdoor areas and hell/gothic themed maps, that will be the only noteworthy disappointing thing about SnapMap, because it looks like it'll have a lot of overall features.

GoatLord said:

If there really and truly isn't a way to create outdoor areas and hell/gothic themed maps, that will be the only noteworthy disappointing thing about SnapMap, because it looks like it'll have a lot of overall features.

If i remember , i read n article on PCGamer Confirming that there won't be a way to create outdoor areas using SnapMap .

DF88 said:

baron art that looks like a 15 year old made it

They've already said looking like a highschool metalhead's notebook sketches was a goal from the beginning, and it's kind of expected in something trying to recreate Doom 1-64.

Of course, your tastes will dictate whether or not you like these designs. Personally, I'd say there should be mossy watermelons on stilts that fire gamma radiation, but I understand why it's not there.