Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revan1141

GZDoom/Brutal Doom lags(I think it's caused by gibs?)

So I've never really saw the need to make a thread about this problem, as really it only occurs during a few moments of normal gameplay, but I figured I might as well go ahead and just fix it and get it out of the way.

Alright, so my GZDoom plays perfectly well UNTIL I start using the Rocket Launcher and gibbing alot of enemies, or using the BFG against groups of enemies. The FPS drops down to levels ranging from 1-6, which is VERY annoying.

It's REALLY bad in Brutal Doom, because when I gib an enemy in Brutal Doom, it just instantly kills my framerate. I have no idea why this is happening, as my computer is well above the required specifications for playing both.

I think it's a problem with my settings? I dunno.

Here are my hardware specs:

CPU: AMD Fx 8150
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
4 GB of RAM

Pls save me. I wanna give Brutal Doom a whirl.

revan1141 said:

So I've never really saw the need to make a thread about this problem, as really it only occurs during a few moments of normal gameplay, but I figured I might as well go ahead and just fix it and get it out of the way.

Alright, so my GZDoom plays perfectly well UNTIL I start using the Rocket Launcher and gibbing alot of enemies, or using the BFG against groups of enemies. The FPS drops down to levels ranging from 1-6, which is VERY annoying.

It's REALLY bad in Brutal Doom, because when I gib an enemy in Brutal Doom, it just instantly kills my framerate. I have no idea why this is happening, as my computer is well above the required specifications for playing both.

I think it's a problem with my settings? I dunno.

Here are my hardware specs:

CPU: AMD Fx 8150
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
4 GB of RAM

Pls save me. I wanna give Brutal Doom a whirl.

I run it well on GZDoom, my specs:

AMD FX-6300
EVGA GTX 750 TI
16GB DDR3-1866MHz RAM

You should be able to run it much better even if your PC is not as good as mine.

Try setting the scaling of textures and sprite to off in the OpenGL settings I found that improves performance. So make sure the scaling is set to nearest neighbour. (Big pixels instead of smoothed corners)

Also update to version v20b, it has performance improvements.

I don't know if that will help but I can play it fairly smooth on an i5 2450m, 8GB RAM and an AMD 7470m (laptop).

Idk if your processor is an APU but make sure you are using the dedicated video card.

EDIT: also make sure you are using the latest version of GZDoom.

actinide2k9 said:

Idk if your processor is an APU but make sure you are using the dedicated video card.

^ That. It was explained in another similar thread how it could be hard to "persuade" certain apps to use the "good" GPU in systems that have both an APU/low resource GPU and a "heavy", proper GPU. Auto detection by the system is not always reliable.

Hmm, you may want to disable dynamic lights and make sure you're running the lastest BD version, also it's not only the gibs that can cause lag, the excessive blood kills fps easily, be sure to check brutal options in the menu too.

Chezza said:

For the time being, use Zandronum. No lag there mate.

Even tho that is an older codebase (2.5.x) than GZDoom (2.7.x) and with fewer features?