Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rdwpa

Getting the same mouse feel (or at least a very similar one) in every port you use.

This is important to me. I'd rather not spend time in a secondary port and then have to waste time re-acclimating to my primary port.

Here are my mouse settings for prBoom+.

# Mouse settings
use_mouse                     1
mouse_sensitivity_horiz      14
mouse_sensitivity_vert        0
mouseb_fire                   0
mouseb_strafe                -1
mouseb_forward               -1
mouseb_backward              -1
mouseb_use                   -1
In order to replicate this in ZDaemon (I'm not sure if it calls upon the global mouse settings of Windows the same way, actually), what would I have to do? It seems to introduce a new variable -- turning speed -- and the combination of overall sensitivity and turning speed don't seem to combine linearly.

Ha i've never managed to exactly replicate my settings into other ports, one of the reasons why i hate to play any other than PrBoom.

Same here.

Especially SDL seems to mess around with Windows's mouse settings in a way that makes it nearly impossible to replicate ZDoom's mouse settings in other ports.

It's a bit strange. None of the ports does some strange voodoo with the values but the problem still exists.

When it comes to mouse sensitivity in ports, the values are pretty much a kind of arbitrary multiplier.

It would be possible that having a radians/degrees per millimeter would work to have a consistent feel in ports. One however would have to know the screen resolution of the desktop (if in a windowed mode) and the size of the physical display. This might not always work though, because the OS could do this already so that mouse speed is relative to the resolution.

Odamex will allow you to switch between the classic Doom values and the ZDoom values and even convert between the two. Just launch Odamex and make sure your mouse type is set to "Doom", then use the console to adjust your settings to match your prBoom values. Then go into the menu and change the type to "ZDoom" and then enter the commands again without a value. It will tell you what the converted value is.

It might not be totally perfect (It feels pretty close to me) but it is kinda useful. You might consider giving it a shot.

The best thing to do is to measure how far you have to move the mouse to do a full 360 degree turn (in cm or inches) and then experiment until you can match it in another port. However, if you play fps games with mouse acceleration enabled, it's not so simple.

This might solve the OP's request:

plums said:

[in response to somebody who was refusing to use PrBoom-plus because he was used to ZDoom's mouse feel]
I had to disable mouse acceleration in Windows before PrBoom felt right to me. I think it's called "Enhance Pointer Precision" in the mouse options in Windows. For some reason some apps override this setting and others don't.

I wasn't refusing, in-fact i keep trying and I think it's a vsync related issue ;)

OP, I find it hard also to replicate any other ports feel in PRBoom, so I imagine it's hard to replicate prboom's feel in other ports. But yea first step is make sure acceleration is off, though I'm sure no gamer worth his salt uses it anyway.

For me, the prboom feeling is coming from some weird vsync in software mode from what it feels like, or it feels like it's not using RAW input that other games use. The vsync may be what is causing that mouse feeling you're used to, in mine it seems to run at 30fps vs doom's 35 when using capped framerate (vsync would cause this i believe). I tried changing use_doublebuffer 1 and 0 since that used to be use_vsync in a previous version but it still feels off to me.

Also OP, as someone used to ZDaemon, it feels like PRBoom makes my mouse move at different speeds depending on whether I'm moving/strafing or still, whereas ZDaemon feels like the same speed all the time (like other games and doom ports)

Anyone knows how to turn off acceleration in Eternity?

The language is irrelevant, since the answer is clearly "mess with the global Windows settings".

Since the 00's I've been switching between source ports so frequently that I've become used to it always feeling slightly different. I wish there was an 'absolute' way around it, like a Universal Mouse Calculator for doom ports or something that spits out several INIs or CFGs for various ports based on some sort of user determined value, but such a program would be insanely difficult to get right and would only benefit relatively few users (I'd wager). It would be awesome though, theoretically speaking!

chungy said:

It's not like there's APIs to get the raw mouse input or anything...

Excuse me?

From what gets posted here, it almost looks like SDL exclusively relies on GUI messages whereas ZDoom uses DirectInput. If there's a discrepancy, it'll show, of course.

chungy said:

It's a response to the three preceeding messages, not to you :)

Ok, sorry about that. :)

Graf Zahl said:

From what gets posted here, it almost looks like SDL exclusively relies on GUI messages whereas ZDoom uses DirectInput. If there's a discrepancy, it'll show, of course.

SDL 2.0 uses (or can use?) raw input (possibly even from DirectInput on Windows), but SDL 1.2 relies solely on GUI events. Version differences like this can also affect it.

I have about same mouse sens on odamex and zandronum. On zdaemon its different since they dont use raw mouse input, but they are claiming directinput is even better than raw input. Welp i dunno, for me not. I use povohat acceleration driver already for a year. It make the mouse more similar in any game i play.

capodecima said:

I have about same mouse sens on odamex and zandronum. On zdaemon its different since they dont use raw mouse input, but they are claiming directinput is even better than raw input. Welp i dunno, for me not. I use povohat acceleration driver already for a year. It make the mouse more similar in any game i play.

It's about time I see someone else who uses povohat's driver!