Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

The only thing that bothers me about the new DOOM is...

The arm/hand body armor. It just seems too crysis-esque. Maybe even too halo-esque.

After all the photos, video, and even alpha testing I've seen/done... that's really the only thing I think they should change. The rest of it all feels/looks like DOOM, but once I see that armor on the arms/hands, it breaks that DOOM-level of immersion.

For example, I was just glimpsing over the GI magazine pics, noticing the new pistol, and while the pistol looks pretty DOOM-ish, the ridicously bulky armor on his hands and arm look a little silly. And not silly in a good way. But silly in a bad way (in case you confused my sense of silliness.)

Will it ruin the game experience? LOL. No. But it certainly seems out of place.

Guess I became so use to seeing a hairy arm covered with a glove for too long. Or no glove at all (and less hairy [doom 3]).

Any one else like to partake in this nitpicking?

Doesn´t bother me at all, other than Halo fanboys calling the Doomguy: master chief.
Actually, I like the armor as a pretext for the new abilities the Doomguy has, but the only thing that bothers me is that it doesn´t seem like there are berserk packs. Guess it´s in favor of the permanent ability to rip and tear thanks to the suit.

Although, after reading some of the things from the Game informer article, It doesn´t seem like I will be missing the berserk.

Back to the point, I think the suit looks cool (And the helmet is the classic version)

Honestly, I like it.
We can't really judge yet, since we haven't seen a full body shot.
I honestly prefer full body armor, because not only does it let you fill in the shoes better, but it also looks pretty nice, and when it comes to modern games, a metal suit of armor will almost always look better than skin.
I really like the helmet though. It's pretty close to the classic, but it's really nice and sleek.

No, the Body Armor is cool , i always liks Crysis's Full armor style (except the helmet), However the helmet shown in the e3 gameplay seems Nice .

It's understandable that they have a modern art direction and not a faithful copy of 90's Doom's one. I'm not concerned about aesthetical details (and both the mere existence and the appearance of Doomguy's armor count as aesthetical details to me) nearly as much as about satisfactory gameplay and level design - that's what matters to me in the first place, and that's where I want them to include traits that I like in classic Doom.

watstha said:

Although, after reading some of the things from the Game informer article, It doesn´t seem like I will be missing the berserk.

Actually, enabling melee fatalities only after the acquisition of the berserk would extend the life of the gimmick, IMO.

I'm fine with the design of the body armor, it's a nod to Halo/Crysis as mentioned. Just give it a chance, and if it still doesn't grow on you, than throw your copy of Doom 2016 into the garbage and load up the original Doom II to satisfy your hairy forearms preference.

My biggest complaint is that a dude from Game Informer got to play Doom before I did. I think its bullshit and needs to be fixed somehow :)

But honestly I think the armor in the single player mode looks wayyyyy more Doomy than the multiplayer does. The multiplayer feels somehow, eh, sporty looking to me for lack of better words. The single player doomguy armor looks kinda cool all rusty and bulky IMO. I wonder though if it may change throughout the game slightly as you collect upgrades or the runes they were talking about in the article? Doubt it but it's possible. And from the stuff we're seeing now compared to what we started with, anything's possible to change for the better with this new Doom :)

The new Armour makes sense. I would be irked if they followed the traditional design considering it's like the wrestlers version of a space marine suit. As if it was designed it to show off abs believing Doom Guy's muscles are sufficient enough to handle slashes, stabs, bullets, explosions, fire and bad intentions.

Also, don't forget that the main character's sex is probably neutral. iD keeps saying "Doom Marine" instead of "Doomguy" and has never said "him" either. They want YOU to be the character, so they're leaving it up to the player it seems.

Having the suit helps make that easier.

I mean... it makes him seem less human and more of a cyborg or some sort of cybernetic juggernaut. Like more of Darth Vader or Robocop type vibe.

Part of the aspect I liked about the original DOOM marine was he was a rough, tough badass, but still human. Now he seems more like a super human, or even marvel-like super hero. I've always pictures DOOM guy more like the space marines from Aliens. Tough, but still vulnerable.

Oh well, at least the didn't put him in a mech suit. I'll be grateful for that.

Don't worry. After playing the Alpha and seen everything else there is to see... that's my only gripe. Very minor non-issue, as I'm incredibly impressed, and it's going far beyond what I had expected it to be (and I had high expectations after hearing about the revamp of the game a few years back). But, just kind of makes me go "hmmm".

To be honest, I don't even know how 'human' we can consider the Doomguy after using all those Soul/Blur/Megaspheres of powering himself up via souls past his limits, combined with the numerous berserk packs, radiation, legitimately dying and then fighting his way out of Hell and all. By the end of Doom 64, he may as well be a walking (but mortal) demigod when fully geared and powered up, especially with the Unmaker and plenty of cell ammo in his hands.

It seems they're going for a more ambiguous surrogate protagonist role this time around as ChickenOrBeef said, rather than seeing our character as in Doom 3. Whether that means the cutscenes will be more Half-Life esque in terms of scenes carrying on around us to immerse us in the world, or more cinematography like Doom 3 is yet to be seen.

But Doomguy has always been male since the beginning hence the HUD face, they are pretty much breaking a tradition.

The armor is nice IMO.

1- More sensible
- Space is a near vaccum(did I spell that wrong?). The suit keeps Doomguy from suffering the bends.

2- More modern-ish
- Almost all futuristic shooters have a metal suit.

3- A better reason on why Doomguy has such strength.
- The suit enhances strength for a combat, so its possible to beat the shit out of those demons in a more realistic way, other than punching with bare hands (you think its possible to keep punching a Mancubus while it fire its cannons, long enough?).

4- It's cool
- Pretty sure its what other Marines are supposed to wear for combat in Doom (really, who wants to fight in shirts and pants in the future,where technology had great improvements?)

PS- Its not bulky like Halo. Its so simple... And I like that.

Buckshot said:

I mean... it makes him seem less human and more of a cyborg or some sort of cybernetic juggernaut. Like more of Darth Vader or Robocop type vibe.

That is you projecting. Just because his armour covers his arms now doesn't make him a cyborg.

Don't bother yourselves thinking about the Armor, that's a useless aspect, Think more about the gameplay feel .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Don't bother yourselves thinking about the Armor, that's a useless aspect, Think more about the gameplay feel .

Can't help it.

This thread is about the armor.

Plus, I think we all know how gameplay will feel like.
So, why not discuss something trivial? For fun. At least for me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Doomguy in the new game is going to turn out to be some sort of clone, or cyborg, or android, or something, as a plot twist.

Linguica said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Doomguy in the new game is going to turn out to be some sort of clone, or cyborg, or android, or something, as a plot twist.

Like an M. Night Shamalayan twist? Doom guy is already dead? Hellspawn are highly allergic to water?

...or perhaps all the demons are just UAC staff in spooky costumes to scare the non beleivers?

Linguica said:

Or Crash from Quake 3.

Linguica said:

there were no grunts or anything when taking damage in the demo, only beeping of the visor interface. they are certainly making Doomguy seem less human, more of a killing machine.

Whatever they would canonically reveal him to be, other than "Doomguy is YOU", would disappoint me, I think.

Linguica said:

I thought it was already established that the Doom guy was one of the many engineered super marines? Could of sworn I read that somewhere. Not to mention there are some hints in other places ...

Linguica said:

I'm pretty sure he is going to be a super soldier, an early synopsis mentioned something about you the marine being "activated" to hunt down the demons.

As long as they don't make a character creation screen with odious facial and body type detailing, I'm content.

Linguica said:

A cyberdemon/human crossbreed! And the cyberdemon mark 2 calls him his dear "older brother" after his defeat and is trying to convince Doomguy to join his side.

What is this, Star Wars?

Pretty sure a cyborg or android wouldn't need a helmet.

Really? looking to the past "Rage", technical issue are biggest thing i am concerned- performance on PC. We need steady 60 FPS ALL the TIME (even during combat). Please id dont release the game until PC performence will be fix.

Voros said:

What is this, Star Wars?

Just because you're a cyborg or android doesn't mean you don't need protection.

Voros said:

What is this, Star Wars?

And yet Darth Vader wore a helmet. I have a feeling that Doomguy (2016) is going to be a cyborg, or in the very least, an enhanced human being. I don't understand why the marine being a super solider is even a problem.