Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linkrulezall

Fake Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett Tunes

Who else remembers back in the dark ages, when anyone could just upload anything to Napster or Limewire and claim that some big famous act was responsible for it? Anyways, I've been trying to track down some of the more interesting ones and as a result I have a little collection here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vrth5zn0tpxpv5/Fake%20Pink%20Floyd%20%26%20Syd.zip?dl=1

As far as I can tell the Astronomy Domine and Piggyback "demos" are both from an old hoax tape known as the "Freak-Out Demos" which has been circulating as far back as the 80s and was assumed to be legitimate for a while. Fuckin' awful to actually listen to, though. I've been trying to find the rest of the Freak-Out tape, but upon repeated listening to these I think they might be better off lost. Still, if you've got 'em I'd like to hear 'em (for some reason).

The version of Interstellar Overdrive in here is of slightly higher quality, though that's not particularly difficult. Still fake, though.

Susan's Lungs is one that my dad got back in the late '90s and we didn't figure out the deal behind it until recently. Apparently the backing track is real (lifted from the Silas Lang backing track) but whatever that is on top if it is fake. I've also got a fake Beatles tune under the name "Pink Litmus Paper Shirt" that uses the same lifted backing track, but didn't bother including it here. I believe there's a copy of it on Youtube.

Chooka Chooka Chug Chug, Stanley The Simpleton, and Cinnamon Toast are entirely original. Out of anything in here, I'd honestly recommend giving Cinnamon Toast a listen or two. It's funny. Stanley The Simpleton is alright too, though definitely not up to the Floyd standard.

Have any of you got any interesting fakes that you got off a P2P network years ago and appear to be pretty much unavailable on the net today? I'd like to hear 'em!

I don't have any, but this is fucking hilarious and cool. I wonder if there's like, a PGC but for fake music instead of fake games? Surely there would be... Right?

If there's not, then there should be. Fakery is also a pretty big problem in the Boards Of Canada community, definitely no shortage of hokum or jive there.

It was an actual Pink Floyd song but I remember downloading "Pink Floyd - The Wall.mp3", or worse "Pink Floyd - We Dont Need No Education.mp3".
If you looked up the actual song title you would hardly get any results.
There was also that Zelda song that was always claimed to be by System of a Down because the singers sounded similar, and lots of joke/novelty songs from obscure artists tagged with "Weird Al Yankovic".

How did people even fall for some of these? I mean, with the low quality of the audio, you can easily mistake the singer of Stanley the Simpleton with Syd. But then there's the Cinnamon Toast song, which doesn't sound anything like Syd, Waters or anyone else from Pink Floyd.
I'm also fascinated with "Susan's lungs". It just sounds so... haunting. Even the name is weird. It's such a bizarre song I can't help but keep listening to it, trying to figure it out.

I find this so fascinating, I never knew about this until yesterday, now I'm hooked on finding more. Some of the impostors do a decent job imitating, and other are so strange as to make them interesting listens for a whole other reason. Also, this has led to the discovery that System of a Down never did in fact cover the Zelda theme, it was some other dude with a kinda-sorta similar wacky voice.

Heh, Bucket. As a kid I loved Al, and I had the hardest time finding legit Al music because of this faking stuff. It also took me years to find out who actually did that ridiculous "Barney's On Fire" song, when nearly all leads led to Weird Al, though it's really some group/guy called Tony Mason and None of the Above.