Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomtodeath

Movies you enjoyed, but nobody else did?

Bucket said:

I was only a kid but I don't remember anything particularly offensive about SMB. The acting was good and the attention to the set pieces was remarkable. As for the script, well, it's about as good as you're going to get with a live action Mario movie... and it's par for the course for the "late-80s dystopia movie" genre.

People didn't like that fact that it was a goofy live action post-apocalyptic comedy starring Dennis Hopper, instead of a cute 2D animated film, which is what everyone was expecting. It was also criticized for being so removed from the Mario universe, but if you inspect it closely it follows the plot of the original game pretty much exactly and there's a ton of references scattered throughout.

GoatLord said:

but if you inspect it closely it follows the plot of the original game pretty much exactly...

No. It really doesn't.

The movie is about two plumbers who get flung into a strange world covered in mushrooms, where they must fight King Koopa and rescue the princess.

Eh, no one's happy when their adaption is just "references scattered throughout." Doom was chock full of (most likely intentional) references and most people disliked it. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation didn't follow anything specific and was just a bunch of your favorite MK characters doing wacky hijinks and jump floors. Pretty much everyone hated that film.

It's actually one of my least favorite films. Yet I really liked the first MK.

Clonehunter said:

It's actually one of my least favorite films. Yet I really liked the first MK.

I kinda want to see it because it was directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, who two years later gave us "Event Horizon," which any Doom fan knows is the real Doom movie, and a damn good one at that.

I remember Event Horizon, but I barely have memory on what it was about.
Can someone post a small summary on the story.

Voros said:

I remember Event Horizon, but I barely have memory on what it was about.
Can someone post a small summary on the story.

Spaceship launch with experimental engine that folds space to move great distance. Spaceship vanishes without a trace. Later, spaceship reappears..total radio silence (observe). A crew is sent to find out what happened. Oh my, this place is spook central. They discover during it's maiden voyage the ship inadvertently went to a dimension of pure chaos, pure evil. Everyone goes batshit. Good film.

"The Assassination of Richard Nixon"

Since everyone was going on about Sean Penn being a hollywood liberal evil elite or whatever I was going back through his films and I remembered how much I loved this one, a really great study of an alienated character, who ousts himself further and further from society purely by expressingly a fairly bland opinion about how messed up it is. Goes off the rails at the end when the film actually gets to *the plot* but that's the fate of most movies!

Use3D said:

Spaceship launch with experimental engine that folds space to move great distance. Spaceship vanishes without a trace. Later, spaceship reappears..total radio silence (observe). A crew is sent to find out what happened. Oh my, this place is spook central. They discover during it's maiden voyage the ship inadvertently went to a dimension of pure chaos, pure evil. Everyone goes batshit. Good film.

I never saw that movie but it seems like Dead Space in some way may have been inspired by it.

I believe the story is that Dead Space began life as System Shock 3... until EA let the IP license run out or something like that.

I will get shot for this, but...

Spoiler

Super Mario Brothers. It had an idea about a dystopia, but then got trashed. The stupid idiots of husband and wife directors who didn't even know what the hell Mario was. Also, Disney tried to get a slice of that pie of crap. Besides, it was a movie which couldn't.

The Grumpy Cat Christmas movie. Neckbeards bitching how one of their precious dank may-mays became a crappy tv movie.

Yes, if you actually watch the movie it's exactly a straight to tv pile of crap. But the movie self aware of the fact, and Grumpy Cat breaks the 4th wall to quip at the audience about such. The fact that it's not striving to be anymore than what it really is, actually made it enjoyable to watch.

And it has kitteh.

I've developed a certain fondness for Street Fighter over the years, even some of the parts without Raul Juilia (admittedly these are few and far between).

Avoozl said:

I never saw that movie but it seems like Dead Space in some way may have been inspired by it.

Dead Space was definitely influenced by Event Horizon, as well as Aliens and The Thing to name a few.

Demolition Man, that movie has some memorable scenes that i still laugh at, mostly the 3 seashells scene, the sex scene and the Simon beating the cops.
So if you like Sylvester Stallone, then i'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

I third Event Horizon, it only got much better (and way more unsettling than I remember) with a second viewing 5 years later.

J.B.R said:

Demolition Man, that movie has some memorable scenes that i still laugh at, mostly the 3 seashells scene, the sex scene and the Simon beating the cops.
So if you like Sylvester Stallone, then i'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

That is easily one of my favorite movies. "Be well!"

Demolition Man is smarter than it's given credit for. It's also got that quintessential 90s camp I adore so much. Excellent film.

Clonehunter said:

The Wizard.

Fuck yah, The Wizard. It's so stupid. It's so forced.

It's so fucking Gold.

Yeah I mean everyone likes Harry Potter rite

(killed violently)

Demolition man! I forgot about that movie. I also liked Stallone's Judge Dredd when I watched it way back when.

Doom Dude said:

Demolition man! I forgot about that movie. I also liked Stallone's Judge Dredd when I watched it way back when.

Saw Demolition Man few times, very nice!
Same for Judge Dredd.

The remake was boring though.