Let's Make Some =<1-hr speedmaps.

rdwpa said:

If you're reading this post,

Spoiler

make a wad!

"Fiery Fire" (1hr-ish)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i0kbeokfp49u2aa/Fieryfire.wad

edit: this one is really easy.

Omfg hahaha what a f*cked up map rdwpa. Here's my (blind) FuqDupAttempt.

Apparently, in retrospect I realize, the new version of PrBoom+ is defaulting to HMP, so now I realize that all of those runs were worthless pieces of crap and I hate them all. Fuck. Whatever, maybe you'll get some mild amusement out of that.

I tried to record one through to the end but although I did slightly better on my second run and one or maybe two others at least got past the first fight, but the vast majority of my runs devolved into deathdeathdeathdeathdeath. It was funny. I think this was my most amusing attempt, though, given what it was.

I really liked the infighting that went on here. It was fun to try that first real fight from the different angles and in retrospect I'm glad that I didn't grab that shotgun on the first pass in my first run because that arach wound up boxing me in a couple times. On one run the HK's somehow vastly overpowered the other mobs, at which point I appreciated the revenant back-up. Those fellas are real stand-up guys ;)

I never made it past the same room I died in during the demos, but after I gave up on that I played it through with saves (which was when I realized that I was not in UV before...) and that was a pretty fun map! Tough as nails in my book, but fun nonetheless! Once you get past having that damn blur sphere (when it goes away), that is. The only way I passed this map on UV, though, was by skipping the cybers and running my ass off. Got lucky on hitting the switch on the far side only to realize that I was supposed to be quick getting back to the lift, lol. Died again. But once I knew what to do and where to go that second major encounter was much easier. The last one I bum-rushed the revs, punched a hole through, then held out until the AV came, at which point I did as much damage as I could before booking it, only to see all the speshul barons. But at that point I had ample rockets (and still a few cells remaining) so I knocked them out and got the AV as he came around the corner. The rest was clean-up. I IDCLIP'd through the wall after everything else was dead and took out the cybers, then ran around looking for the secret. I'm so mad that I almost checked that wall, on my very first run no less, but then kept going and never thought to check it again, hahaha.

The last enemy made me laugh. I actually hid and slowly peeked around the corner when the walls were lowering. I guess that the zombieman was the God of all of the demons, so they brought him all the dead bodies that I had stock-piled up for them in case he got hungry over the next century.

All-in-all this was a nice, fun map rdwpa! I'll have to try some more of these later on :)

Thanks for the demos and comments, guys.

Yeah it seems like the 3rd fight in "Fiery Fire" is not as easy as I thought it'd be; in my casual playthrough after making it, I realized it was possible to run around quickly and get the cybs to infight and then chill in the corner -- but sometimes one cyb doesn't cooperate, usually by killing the afrits targeting him too quickly.

The 2nd fight can be cheesed, unfortunately, because you can grab the blur sphere and stand around doing nothing precisely long enough that you have it for the shotgunner wall and it wears out soon afterwards. That's something I'd patch in even a 3-hr speedmap, but hopefully the fact that it's a boring strategy will discourage people from doing that. :D

The only thing boring about Doom is repeating the same actions over and over in hopes that the RNGods goes your way. I think that's the same reason why I dislike the blur sphere too. Let the game revolve around my skill and reflexes, not pre-knowledge and luck.

Course, I had fun on Fiery Fish; I just don't see what the "official" strategy would be for such a map aside from grab blur sphere, run a lot, and pray.