Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Knas

Making textures that match geometry

Is there a good way to make textures that match the geometry in your level? I can't really think of a good way to do it so I'm hoping for some tips.

Is there a plugin for DB there you can select several walls/flats in visual mode and then have the program save a template texture with their shape?

I didn't understand how exactly you would like it to work, anyway I don't think such a thing exists. That's what x/y texture alignment is for.

I'm talking about making textures in a graphics program, not aligning them. You know having a silhouette of your walls exported with the correct dimensions to work with.

Well, for starters you probably want to work mostly in powers of 2 (8, 16, 32, 64, 128), to keep the textures' applicability optimal.

I'm sure there are textures floating around with pixel measurement units on them. If you can't find one, it shouldn't take too long to make one. Like a ruler...

Knas said:

Is there a good way to make textures that match the geometry in your level? I can't really think of a good way to do it so I'm hoping for some tips.

Is there a plugin for DB there you can select several walls/flats in visual mode and then have the program save a template texture with their shape?

You're in luck, jmickle66666666 literally like JUST made a little utility to do EXACTLY this.

https://github.com/jmickle66666666/wallpaint

Linguica said:

You're in luck, jmickle66666666 literally like JUST made a little utility to do EXACTLY this.

https://github.com/jmickle66666666/wallpaint

Oh nice. That is probably what I was looking for, but how do I use it? When I tried with the test wad I get this error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 255, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 134, in build_all
  File "<string>", line 114, in build_line
  File "<string>", line 45, in make_texture
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'txd' referenced before assignment

I getting into the habit of using the patch editor more, which appears to have been designed to give mappers more texture options, though it has a few quirks.