Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaSphere

Creepy WADs?

I played Happy Circus 2, Unloved and Asylum of the Wretched which I think was bugged because there were Invulnerability power ups everywhere any other ones I don't know about?

MegaSphere said:

Asylum of the Wretched which I think was bugged because there were Invulnerability power ups everywhere

You most likely played it without the included dehacked file. Launch the game like this:

doomsourceport -file aotw.wad -deh aotw.deh

Allthough it's still a demo you should try this, I hope your pc can handle it.

Try also City of the Damned 2, it isn't exactly creepy but it has a really cool atmosphere.

Ghoul's Forest 3 easily gets my vote for creepy WAD, although I'm not into jumpscares done by final boss.

nxGangrel said:

Ghouls Forest.

That Pewdiepie bait jumpscare trash with all the monsters that function like they belong in a terrywad?

I've always noticed that the levels made to be frightening just don't work on me, but I often get a chill out of levels where you get a glimpse of the mapper's personality... some of the stuff in ALT creeps me out even though the overall feel of that level set could be said to be delirium rather than horror.

Jaxxoon R said:

That Pewdiepie bait jumpscare trash with all the monsters that function like they belong in a terrywad?

Heh, I forgot about that happening.

Doomhuntress said:

Happy Time Circus 2 is always going to be my pick. a giant, desolated town filled with all-new deformed clown monsters. it's definitely one of the best horror levels made for ZDoom.

he said he already played that (then again, he can always just play it again)

Jaxxoon R said:

Nope, that's Unhinged.

Ghoul's Forest III is the scariest Doom WAD I've ever played. I love Asylum of The Wretched as well, but with that one there are a few different versions. First of all, you need to load the DEH file or else you will get megaspheres everywhere. Second, I recall there being a version of AoTW where light vision goggles are scattered all over the place. Totally ruined the dark atmosphere. Get the original WAD file where there are no light vision goggles. Also, Happy Time Circus II. Basically everything people have already said. I wish there were more genuinely scary Doom mods. It's amazing how tense such a dated engine can be. Surprisingly so. Also, Pewdiepie did a play through of Ghoul's Forest III. I don't like his videos but I recall that one being at least tolerable. Cus it's DOOM BABY! OH YEAH!

City of the Damned was spectacular! I played it with a friend coop style once, and when the lights went out in the safety bunker a minor glitch in the script timing ended up with me killing all of the remaining good townspeople with panic shooting. Its one of the best wads I've played, i highly recommend that one.

Jaxxoon R said:

Ironically anough, it was Ghoul's Forest that started the whole Terry fiasco...

Or rather it's what lead up to it unintentionally that is (since Terry's first wad was a Ghoul's Forest mockery).

Jaxxoon R said:

That was actually one of the first creepy wads that were released, way WAY before pewdiepie.
It was quite a product of its time.

i don't think Ghouls Forest is JUST jumpscare bullshit. i mean yeah, the monsters do make sudden, scary noises on you... when they kill you. they're a penalty for dying.

they only appear. when you die.

you can't really complain about it being cheap if you're bad and get yourself killed all the time. think of it like FNAF is now, you gotta learn the pattern of the monsters and get them before they get to you.

now, the gory pictures that pop up when the Yuri kills you, that i can understand. that's a bit too close for comfort, really. but all the other monsters you just gotta pay attention so they don't kill you.

The monsters look stupid and make stupid noises. Ghoul's Forest was actually the most unintentionally funny series of wads I'd ever played. They're not really very interesting or difficult to fight either, they just move around all herky-jerky really fast towards you.

(google translated)
And Hell Followed.
It is MOD for Brutal, but addons that can be used with vanilla are also included.
The devil's barks are exchanged for horrible things, and textures that change the atmosphere are applied.
It is unusual for MOD for Brutal MOD to replace with Creepy and dangerous enemies.

In order to create an eerie atmosphere, I think that ambient BGM is still indispensable.
The DarkDooM add-on will be indispensable as a force under the margin of atmosphere creation.