Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom remake for idtech4

Doomkid said:

I definitely don't see how an HD coast of paint ruins the 'consistency' of Doom, I believe that 'consistency' you speak of isn't actually inherently there, it's just that you're used to Doom. Nothing about it is inherently consistent.

But there is. The level of detail.

In this mod, they are making the textures high detail using the word detail here rather than resolution, to better explain the point), and the enemies (since they are the Doom 3 models). But the level architecture is as close to the original games as they could make it, which is very obviously low detail, causes an inconsistency. Big, flat slabs of floor cut at awkward angles which do not match the details of the textures at all makes things look odd and incongruous. Nothing in Doom 1 looked incongruous, because every asset had the same level of detail. Same for Doom 3, everything was at the same level. Mix those two together and you get inconsistency.

Regardless, these assets are really good and I might even pick up the Doom 3 editor and use them alongside the stock assets to make a Doom 1 inspired map...but first to finish my ginormous Doom 1 map.

I honestly like Classic Doom 3's style better. Rendering 1:1 Doom levels on a modern engine makes the levels fell empty and soulless.

The work put on this is impressive, but honestly, it's pretty pointless. IMO finishing all remaining E2, E3, and Doom 2 levels on Classic Doom 3, and upgrading it's enemy/weapon behavior/art style would be a better move.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I honestly like Classic Doom 3's style better. Rendering 1:1 Doom levels on a modern engine makes the levels fell empty and soulless.

The work put on this is impressive, but honestly, it's pretty pointless. IMO finishing all remaining E2, E3, and Doom 2 levels on Classic Doom 3, and upgrading it's enemy/weapon behavior/art style would be a better move.

Even Classic Doom 3 feels unfinished in many places.

So when we complete studio with 50-100 devs we can run with proper remake. So see you in a few years - maybe then we have first map ;) People, be realistic. As DooM_RO says - even CDfD3 looks unfinished. And besides that this mod is really great I don't feel nothing from Doom1 there - only Doom 3. Remeber - this is a fan mod, not game developed by big studio.

You guys are all absolutely entitled to your opinions, but no amount of technical explanations in the world are going to make me not want a high-res version of the classic Doom maps. I mean, they're even altering enemy behavior to make it more appropriate - as I said before, I'm excited for what's being worked on here and now, not an entirely different project using these assets.

I'm well aware of what can be done with modern technology as we see games taking advantage of it all released on a daily basis. I've yet to play a FUN remake of the classic Doom maps in high res, now someone's making just that - Naturally I'm excited and hope it's seen through to the end.

Keep up the fantastic work, I'm 100% certain there are others who will be all over this once it's done.

Edit: If texture misalignment really is such a big deal, that Entryway screenshot on the previous page shows a perfect method of keeping the layout identical while enhancing the aesthetic. I still don't see what makes a 64x64 texture less ugly when its poorly cutoff than a 6400x6400 texture.. A poor cutoff is a poor cutoff. Anyway, keep up the fine work fellas.

You either like it or you dont.

For a classic Doom remake, I personally prefer this kind of simplistic design over the look that projects like Classic Doom 3 has.

Abstract levels filled with excess detail to try and make them look modern, just looks weird. Its neither aesthetically or nostalgically pleasing.

There's a lot of detail in Dooms textures and sprites that can be brought to life, but its a fine balance between going too far and not far enough.

I think screenshots 4 and 6 perfectly illustrate how nice it can look.

Keep at it guys!

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

finishing all remaining E2, E3, and Doom 2 levels on Classic Doom 3, and upgrading it's enemy/weapon behavior/art style would be a better move.

I remember the mod makers mentioning how they restricted it to the shareware maps only due to legal reasons.

Reinchard said:

So when we complete studio with 50-100 devs we can run with proper remake. So see you in a few years - maybe then we have first map ;) People, be realistic. As DooM_RO says - even CDfD3 looks unfinished. And besides that this mod is really great I don't feel nothing from Doom1 there - only Doom 3. Remeber - this is a fan mod, not game developed by big studio.

All this is subjective so there is no way to satisfy everyone. Best thing to do is follow your vision.

Most Doom remakes definitely look soulless... like some sort of pre-alpha of a tiny budget first person shooter.

However based on these screenshots there is enough detail and nice aesthetics to keep me satisfied, but it will need to be backed with high quality remakes of Doom metal with satisfying weapons and enemy deaths. Give me that and I'm sure I will love it.

@VGA - good words
@Chezza - I'm working everyday on gameplay.

Today I start on creating remake of Invasion mode from skullatag to see how everything works :) RIP AND TEAR

P.S. DOOM is pretty cool :D

Very impressive!

Are you using a custom gamex86.dll or the original one?

@jval - here is the problem I'm map maker, I have no idea how to make own game dll file in D3. If someone is familiar with it, I need help to make DOOM 1 health vial, cause I can't just put model and write a def for it, it must be declared in player.h. For now I have no idea how to make it :)

EDIT: works has started

So I decide to publish work in progress on my testground map for gameplay to our mod in here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-3-general/85499-skulltag-invasion-on-doom-3/

Sometimes this community frustrates me. We shit on people who don't provide screenshots and then we shit on them when they provide screenshots we don't like, but often in eloquent or long-winded paragraphs that seem like constructive criticism, but still tend to boil down to "my opinions on aesthetics are the only correct ones."

It's like we've forgotten what work in progress actually means. I'm sure it'll look a lot better in a few months.

alexz721 said:

Sometimes this community frustrates me. We shit on people who don't provide screenshots and then we shit on them when they provide screenshots we don't like, but often in eloquent or long-winded paragraphs that seem like constructive criticism, but still tend to boil down to "my opinions on aesthetics are the only correct ones."

It's like we've forgotten what work in progress actually means. I'm sure it'll look a lot better in a few months.

Eh, there is plenty of praise to go along with what is constructive criticism. People challenge eachother's views, sense of style and direction. It's a forum. The best way to improve your skills is to let it be scrutinized by other people. Even if you don't agree with their criticism (good or bad), you learn a little something about yourself and your work.

I think the complaining just goes to show how diverse our perspectives on the game are. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing a reinterpretation of the original maps with high detail decor and whatnot. That will look great, I imagine. But there's no convincing me that you can make it exactly as crude as the original layouts with HD textures and somehow make it work. It makes the assumption that the architects of this fictional universe had very obtuse and non-sequitur blueprints to work with.

i dont see the problem with 1:1 level remakes... thats already more work than anyone has time for, just getting the levels created and the physics and gameplay on point. i think it looks pretty darn cool, and i hope the guys will just stick to their vision and get this thing out. ignore the feature creep and stick to getting the scale and gameplay feeling good. good luck!

I take it you guys think Doom is pretty cool as well

Anyway I think this looks pretty sweet. It's fun to play through these remakes. IMO the classic doom for doom 3 felt rather sloppy. But it was still fun to play regardless. Can't wait to try this out :)

I have great hopes for this...I admit I didn't read the whole thread, but if the AI gets modified to work better with these maps, that'd be great. If it doesn't...that could be an issue.

Fantastic work so far though!