Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMX

Doomguy's new look leaked (maybe?) via its own Funko Pop figurine

We have seen the helmet, a good portion of the arms and even the legs already, but I think we haven't seen a full frontal shot of Doomguy's design yet.

Until now, I guess?

replaced with artist's rendition - mods

So apparently both of these are going to be a thing soon. They've been announcing the new Funko Pop designs a few hours ago (if you plan to watch Civil War don't look them up, there's spoilers in there), and these two little things popped up.

How are we going to be able to get this, I have no idea, but unless something goes horribly wrong between Bethesda and Funko, Doomguy and the new Cyberdemon are getting their ow Funko Pop figurines

Now, on topic, what do you think about Doomguy's new look? I like it a lot, quite honestly.

Its not bad, however its also nothing special; so many games are doing space marines that its very, very hard to make armor that stands out.
At the same time, I expected as much too; the designs I care more about are for the enemies, which for the most part I really like.

It looks like the Marine from Doom 3 finally got some damn sleeves, slimmed the bulky armor a little and took a few style tips from Master Chief.

Hmm his head is a lot bigger than the originals...

Seriously though, it looks like a Master Chief variant.

Chezza said:

Hmm his head is a lot bigger than the originals...

Seriously though, it looks like a Master Chief variant.

I hope you do know that Bungie ripped of the Doomguy look for the Master Chief...

DooM_RO said:

I hope you do know that Bungie ripped of the Doomguy look for the Master Chief...

Where's the evidence? Besides the design anyway. I'm talking about the article/video saying so.

What kind of evidence do you need? It's clear as day. Many years ago when the first Halo was coming (haven't heard about it at the time), I saw a pic of Master Chief (without context) and I thought it's some kind of a new DOOM game coming. It always annoys me when people say that he looks like Master Chief. Well of course he does! Except that it's Master Chief that looks like Doomguy, not the other way around.

I never realized that Master Chief's design was similar to Doomguy.
When I first saw MC, I thought "is that a cap... awesome".
Then seeing Doomguy on the title screen "cool helmet".

Yes, I discovered Doom after discovering Halo.

So MJOLNIR is Doomguy with more bulk, yes?
Does the same apply to the ODSTs? And SPIs?

Reminds me gear used by motocross drivers and other extreme sport doers :) It protects whole body but is also very light and do not restrict Your moves.
Definitely is not as bulky as Halo armor, metal plates seems smaller. Master Chief in first two Halo games look mechanical, like he was some kind of android made with those metal parts -. In later games You can see those big metal plates parts are actually attached - shoulders, chest and groin are pretty big like they would contain some shield recharging device. Legs and hands Armour pads are smaller, but still bulky and they stick out from first layer of his clothes -.

For me it looks more like marines design from Quake 4:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/quake/images/d/d7/Armor.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110125033337

Only helmet is different. Anyway it's hard to say how much this toy will be similar to model in game. Will metal plates be bulky, or will they cling to clothes? Will it be more like crysis nanosuit material in parts without visible big plates or will it be made from other smaller mechanical plates?

I can imagine the look that Funko design is based off. I like it, the colour scheme is more coherent with the helmet colour matching the armour colour. The parts that were naked in the cheesy original design are set apart by the grey amrour parts. The helmet shape is very recognisable, as we have already seen in the video. Overall apperance seems to be a bit generic, but nice.

Look at those big heads. You would think they may try to do a Cacodemon. Instabuy if that were the case.

I know a Funko Pop figure isn't exactly the best thing to go by when it comes to a representation of the real thing, but if those colors are anything to go by, it looks like they really pumped up the Green color, and added in some more Gray and Black highlights since E3. I like it.

They should have made a reflection of Doomguy's shadow-obscured face when he puts it on for the first time. I know, it breaks the gender-neutrality, but that would've been badass. A vague glimpse of the man right before the ride begins.

LANEGRACABRA said:

They should have made a reflection of Doomguy's shadow-obscured face when he puts it on for the first time. I know, it breaks the gender-neutrality, but that would've been badass. A vague glimpse of the man right before the ride begins.

I'm probably the only one here who thinks this, but honestly, I'd be really happy if we never saw the man in the suit.
Not for sake of immersion or self-insertion.
Just because I think having a silent, mysterious protagonist would be really sweet.
He becomes a character that's really up to your interpretation.

Is he a heartless killing machine?
Is he a terrified marine, on the brink of insanity?
Is he just there to do his job and get out?
Is he a sensitive guy who likes long walks on the beach and family trips to Hawaii?

It's all up to you.

Thanks for sharing and giving us the heads up. Hopefully these don't sell out too quickly; Doomguy will look great next to my RoboCop and Boba Fett Funkos. Never was big into the brand but occasionally they do something I'm nuts about. Too bad Buckaroo Banzai is too obscure even for hipsters. Johnny 5 would be nice.

Kind of surprised there isn't a revenant since he seems to be the poster boy. And now I'm curious what a Funko mancubus would look like (big head, little body...probably pretty damn awkward.)

I agree that it's fun to be able to come to our own conclusion. Doom '16 is somehow even more vague than ever before; we don't even know if DoomGuy is even human this time around.

The Civ said:

I'm probably the only one here who thinks this, but honestly, I'd be really happy if we never saw the man in the suit.
Not for sake of immersion or self-insertion.
Just because I think having a silent, mysterious protagonist would be really sweet.
He becomes a character that's really up to your interpretation.

Is he a heartless killing machine?
Is he a terrified marine, on the brink of insanity?
Is he just there to do his job and get out?
Is he a sensitive guy who likes long walks on the beach and family trips to Hawaii?

It's all up to you.

And at the end of the game the camera pans out to a third person view, Doomguy takes off its helmet and the suit simply collapses. There was never a person inside the suit. o.O

Nevermind. some reason it wasn't loading on my screen. I'm not blind after all :)

I kinda like it. I like everything so far and much more now with the new screenshots :D

Funko LLC was annoyed by this thread because it included an image meant to be embargoed and asked us to remove it.

Linguica said:

Funko LLC was annoyed by this thread because it included an image meant to be embargoed and asked us to remove it.

Does this mean we aren't getting the figures at all, or that they thought that picture just wouldn't be representative of the final product?

TheGamePhilosophe said:

And why exactly does this site follow the orders of corporations?

Hate to sound like the asshole here, but this is true.
Wasn't hurting anyone. I'm really surprised they got angry at us. The PDFs already got leaked to a million other places. Everything, including other brands, have already been leaked to tons of people.