Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

"Death Wish" for Blood

http://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-for-blood

The Blood modding community has always been a small one, so I don't think I'm being hyperbolic by saying that "Death Wish" is by far the best thing to come out of it. This three episode replacement mod feels like a natural extension of the original series and is in many ways better than its source material. Not only is it professionally designed from start to finish, but it retains the exploratory approach of classic shooters and has an amazing amount of detail.

"Death Wish" really pushes the Build engine to its limits, featuring beautiful lighting effects, clever scripting and enormous levels that can take an hour or more to finish. There are even cutscenes at the beginning and end of a given episode, and each map feels like a logical progression of the previous. They are less about gimmicky, specific locations and more about surreal, horrific environments that at times seem otherworldly and nightmarish. Perhaps most impressive is the fact that it relies almost entirely on stock assets.

Having played Death Wish, i can safely say those screenshots don't do it justice. However GoatLord is right in saying that it is perhaps the best thing to come from the Blood community. The map set is absolutely packed full of amazing ideas and gorgeous scenery. It is the only set of maps i've completed from the community because they just got more and more interesting and entertaining as they progressed. Some of the trickery accomplished in this blew my mind. I definitely recommend it.

I only heard good things about Death Wish, I'll have to try it but I think I should play the normal Blood first.

Gez said:

I only heard good things about Death Wish, I'll have to try it but I think I should buy the normal Blood first.

This for me.

Gez said:

I think I should play the normal Blood first.

It's 2016 and you still haven't played it? You won't be disappointed, quit putting it off, man.

Yeah, sorry the screens aren't ideal. This really is a killer set. I didn't talk about the combat. It's very, very good. Quite a challenge without being unfair.

Wow this looks really cool. Lots of dark and unique atmosphere just in those few screenshots.

nxGangrel said:

I love death wish. I just wish my Dos Box would stop running out of memory after every level when I play it.

Get the GOG version, I had the exact same issue you've having. You'll get much better performance. It barely costs a thing, plus it provides you with all six commercial episodes.

Having looked at the videos at the link in the OP, it looks like it might be outside my skill range. I already find vanilla Blood difficult. How is the difficulty levels scaling?

Top quality addon. My only complaint was the scarce distribution of health and armor, at least in the first version. I liked the use of flare/leech effect used as a decoration in the dark, as seen in the 3rd pic.

As I've said before I still think this is single handedly the best third-party addon made for any classic FPS. Not even the best Doom II megawads come this close IMO. This would've gotten Bloatoid hired back in the day for sure.

schwerpunk said:

Having looked at the videos at the link in the OP, it looks like it might be outside my skill range. I already find vanilla Blood difficult. How is the difficulty levels scaling?

I've only played it on the hardest difficulty level which is pretty punishing but not really unfair.

schwerpunk said:

You know the trick to make Blood easier is to start a game at the highest skill level ("extra crispy"), save, and quit. Now load your save and the monsters will be super-easy. That's because Blood screws up the difficulty settings when loading a save, the easiest level becomes the hardest and vice-versa. Imagine if in Doom you'd turn ITYTD into Nightmare when loading a save...

So it's not even possible to properly play Blood with using saves? Or does the "misloaded" behavior at least reset to proper one after a map is finished?

I know of the difficulty bug but i can't say that i've experienced it myself. I don't believe it happens every time. It must be circumstantial.

I would play this, but due to the lack of a source port, i can't and that's because i don't like using DosBox, as Blood is probably the most demanding of all Build engine games, besides only use DosBox to replay Powerslave from time to time anyway.
Unless the source code sees the light(which is unlikable), then i am afraid i will have to wait a long time.
Oh btw if you want a better framerate at the cost of sacrificing accurate gameplay, this may interest you:http://m210.duke4.net/index.php/files/viewdownload/3-eduke32/38-blood-crossmatching.

Yeah death wish is by far the best level set out of blood, just amazing stuff from start to finish.
It is really tough though and harder than the original game so definitely go through the original first before playing the mod.

J.B.R said:

Unless the source code sees the light(which is unlikable)

Unlikely. It would be very likable if it happened!

nxGangrel said:

I love death wish. I just wish my Dos Box would stop running out of memory after every level when I play it.

Assuming you've set it up yourself and not used a GOG or Steam installer, have you messed with the .conf file at all? By default, DOSBox only gives the emulated machine 16 MB of RAM, which is more or less the bare minimum that Blood can run on (I think it'll even warn you on startup that it's not enough to have all the effects). I'd suggest 24 or even 32 MB for it. As for where to find the .conf file, that varies wildly based on what version of DOSBox you're using.

Of course, if I've completely missed the intent of your post and you're actually running Blood on a real "DOS box", then feel free to disregard my post.

Gez said:

Here a description of Blood's skill/save bug.

Yikes, now I know why every time I fire up Blood on Well Done and think it starts off really hard (because of a lack of armor and decent weapons) and then suddenly gets easier down the line is because of this issue. That is really bad.

Cyanosis said:

Yikes, now I know why every time I fire up Blood on Well Done and think it starts off really hard (because of a lack of armor and decent weapons) and then suddenly gets easier down the line is because of this issue. That is really bad.

The bug has no significant effect on Well Done, hence why i've never noticed it myself. It's the only difficulty i play on.

Don't worry, the game gets a little easier when you gather nearly all resources anyway.

That's still really bad though. That must be jarring for people that play on easy, wondering why the game is still so damn hard.

I've been playing this since I recently finished the original Blood.
It's at least as good as the original. My favorite map so far was the one based on the Thing, I think it was E1M6, but I'm only on the E2M2 now so there may be a better one. The maps are a lot more open and expansive than the original, there are a lot of points you can just look out a window and such and see a large portion of the map.,

The difficulty is slightly harder than the original Blood, but nowhere near the difficulty gap between iD DOOM levels and stuff like Hell Revealed or Sunlust. Tweaking the mouse settings helped, since even at max sensitivity I found turning to be too slow.

The only complaint I have is that some of the traps are nearly impossible to avoid unless you are aware of them ahead of time. Once you die once and reload you should be able to avoid them though.

I loved Blood and played the full game including the expansion to death, I really must try this mod someday when I feel up to playing Blood again.