Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

MAYHEM1500: The Finishing

Ok so, halfway in to the set in Survival mode and I'd like to say please stop using walkover lines on top of lifts to lower them. It is VERY annoying to have players on a lift which lowers when one of them cross over. Switches are your friend, use pls

Otherwise, I have considered the possibility of shuffling some maps around but I'm not sold on what until I finish, I'll probably be moving obsidian's and joe's maps at least.

I would also like to ask anyone who hadn't accounted for multiplayer monsters if I can adjust their MP thing placement. It would also be appreciated if someone else could test this in PrBoom+ cl9 at least to make sure no ZDoomisms or anything slip by.

Map specific feedback: Impie your 06 is alright although that ending is a horrible out of left field pace killer, just saying. I won't require you to change it but I just wanted to say it was a bit of a letdown and you could if you like. Map is otherwise a decent Eternal-Doom ish thing.

PCorf: Shi is a decent map but that spider really should teleport down into the field in front of it a bit for more threat and less Big Dumb Turret. The tunnels of imps and hell knights could stand to have arachnotrons pop down instead. I could do that if you don't mind, in eiher case it's another thing I think would benefit the map but I won't demand.

Corsair: Your map is very sparely populated. It's ok in some parts but largely map feels barren. Maybe more arachnotrons to spray you over the long distances in singleplayer, and possibly some roaming boss spiders in multiplayer.

Inkie: Cool sub, would you mind adding some lighting with the spare lines you have though?

makin progress yo

Marcaek said:

I'll probably be moving obsidian's and joe's maps at least.

Hm? What's the matter with it?

Marcaek said:

I would also like to ask anyone who hadn't accounted for multiplayer monsters if I can adjust their MP thing placement.

Sure thing, and feel free to expand the closets from where the monsters teleport if you need.

Marcaek said:

Impie your 06 is alright although that ending is a horrible out of left field pace killer, just saying. I won't require you to change it but I just wanted to say it was a bit of a letdown and you could if you like. Map is otherwise a decent Eternal-Doom ish thing.

Your description of the issue isn't terribly specific. What's slowing the pace and out of left field?

EDIT: You mean the boss fight with the vampire? That's the whole point of the map -- to find and kill it.

@Marcaek
Is this related to multiplayer or single player only, or both? I've been waiting comments & critique for multiplayer portion mostly.

.:edit:.
Forgot one thing, if you have more things to complain or suggest about, post them away, I might do those fixes in next week.

impie: To elaborate, you play through a perfectly suitable map and then all of a sudden it ends in a really uninteresting and unexpected way. It's a letdown of an ending, really. If you have the lines to spare would you consider doing something a little less... unexciting?

corsair: most of the map is pretty lukewarm opposition, you have so much space and it's full of imps and zombies(although "full of" is a stretch considering how little opposition is here). Would you consider allowing me to tweak the monster placement?

I have the lines to spare, I think...I just don't think I have the time at this point, between my writing, volunteer work, physical therapy, and the Bad Box Art game jam. If I think of something and find time for it before the megawad is finished, I'll see what I can do, but I can't make promises.

It's a bit too late for gameplay-related feedback, don't you think? Just fix the bugs and release the damn thing before it's May again.

The deadline went out the window long ago, and I'd personally like to see some of the maps in this be a little more robust. In any case I'm about ready to post a new almost-final-really-guys beta.

Corsair: try this and tell me what you think

Impie: I'll look the other way, if you have your hands full.

Did a quick test, it's okay on my book as far as I am concerned.

Let's just get this out quick before May is on us again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m6bq09phshvtcc/m1500-beta1h.wad?dl=0

Alright, barring a reply from impie and zakurum having an update on the way this is the final beta. MAP15 and 31 were swapped as well as 16 and 32. Several maps had Multiplayer adjustments because you'd be surprised how much easier having even one parter makes maps.

Let me know if you have any problems with your maps in this, although they were reasonably tested offline and in survival.

Advice on map placement is welcome.

joe-ilya said:

Why did you swap the maps?
They fit where they were.

Because Marcaek's leading the project now and if he saw it that the swap was needed, that's fine, also he is not obliged to do things as per your liking.

alterworldruler said:

Because Marcaek's leading the project now and if he saw it that the swap was needed, that's fine, also he is not obliged to do things as per your liking.

Marcaek said:

Advice on map placement is welcome.

Good to see that this thing is in the final beta version and to a eventual official release, but i'm with Joe here asking why secret maps are swapped to the normal maps... I don't have any problems with the MAP16 / MAP32 swap (if I recall correctly MAP16 is the level sets in space, right?) but I don't see the MAP15 / MAP31 swap.... but you guys have a better judgement since you tested this the most...

MAPINFO lumps for MAP15/16 and MAP31/32 needs to be swapped, since now looks like this is the way that the megawad take for map progression...

Also a little story between "episode" transitions could be cool (the official one doesn't have any sense here...) .

walter confalonieri said:

Also a little story between "episode" transitions could be cool (the official one doesn't have any sense here...) .

I could probably throw a little something together, if nobody minds.

For me it's Ok, but in the end is Marcaek that have the permissions of the project...

Also, tomorrow is May and you know what that means: MAYHEM MONTH!

...maybe

I wrote the intermissions anyway just for fun. He can use them if he wants to, and I'll pare them down if they don't fit. I stuck to a humorous time-travel theme, given the whimsical intermission music and the fact that "time travel" seems to tie all these maps together thematically.

They're formatted to be pasted into a Mapinfo lump at the moment. I'd put them in a decorate lump, but I have no idea how to do it in slade. Otherwise I'd test 'em myself to make sure they fit the screen properly, which I have my doubts about.

EDIT: Link updated from later post.

Updated the pastebin. I went back and counted the lines, and determined that the maximum number of lines you can have for an intermission text screen is 18. Adjusted the intermissions accordingly, so vertically they should all fit on the screen. Somebody'll have to put them in a dehacked lump or something to see if they fit horizontally. They should, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also might go offscreen if people use resolution smaller than 800x600. I'll have to significantly reduce the text if it needs to fit all resolutions. Not sure if anyone still plays in 320x200 these days.

New version of the intermissions is up, with typos fixed and lines reduced in width to fit 320x240 resolution. Hopefully now they'll display correctly regardless of resolution.

EDIT: Seems this will expire before anyone actually posts here again, so I'll just post it all in the thread itself.

Spoiler

320x240 FORMAT
C1TEXT =
"'Don't worry,' Dr. Rubik had said.\n"
"'It's all perfectly safe. We just need\n"
"a volunteer to help calibrate the Cronus\n"
"Drive's new OS. Just step in for 1500\n"
"cycles and we're all done.'\n"
"'How long is 1500 cycles?' you'd asked.\n"
"The doc shrugged. 'Eight seconds?'\n"
"'What, you're not sure?'\n"
"'Look, you want your six grand or not?'\n"
"\n"
"Eight seconds your ass. That was six\n"
"days, eight hundred demons, a thousand\n"
"gun-toting crazies, and one giant god-\n"
"damned vampire ago. Now you're god-knows\n"
"how many centuries in the past, staring\n"
"at a river of lava that goes on forever,\n"
"wondering when one of these damn time\n"
"rifts will take you back home, to your\n"
"six grand and Dr. Rubik's ass-whooping.";

C2TEXT =
"You remember a lot of important events\n"
"happening in the year 1500, like Portugal\n"
"discovering Brazil, and wolves going ex-\n"
"tinct in England. Add seven shit-tons\n"
"of demonic meatbabies to the extinct list,\n"
"Hot Junior High History Teacher. What was\n"
"her name? Miss Hanson? Miss Hershberger?\n"
" \n"
"You think you see an old, crumbling fort-\n"
"ress in the distant marsh, hiding in the\n"
"mossy mountains. Maybe your ticket home\n"
"is there. Or shit-tons more monsters.\n"
"Can't say this trip through time and\n"
"space has been boring, at least.\n"
" \n"
"It's dinnertime on present-day earth,\n"
"according to your useless watch.";

C3TEXT =
"Taking a smoke break on the ledge of the\n"
"old keep, tossing a demon skull into the\n"
"moat below, you chuckle and think of Toni,\n"
"your ex-girlfriend. Crazy bitch would be\n
"all snark and smiles one minute, flinging\n"
"kitchenware at your head the next. This\n"
"timewarp's mood swings make Toni look\n"
"like a well-adjusted saint.\n"
" \n"
"Each time you go through a portal, the\n"
"locale gets weirder, more alien. You\n"
"aren't even sure you're on earth anymore.\n"
"Could that possibly mean you're getting\n"
"closer to your goal? The return to Dr.\n"
"Rubik's lab, where your next rent payment\n"
"awaits? Or are you just burrowing through\n"
"time and space, digging deeper and deeper\n"
"into Hell itself?";

C4TEXT =
"'Look, you want your six grand or not?',\n"
"says Dr. Rubik to your past self as you\n"
"step into his lab. All eyes are on you,\n"
"gun smoking, jumpsuit bathed in blood.\n"
"You don't hesitate vaporizing the doc's\n"
"head. The lab techies go next, then\n"
"the Cronus Drive, all while your past\n"
"self screams horrified obscenities.\n"
" \n"
"Then...nothing happens. Preventing the\n"
"experiment SHOULD have undone the dis-\n"
"aster and sent you home...unless the\n"
"'Drive merely stranded you in a new\n"
"and now very doomed timeline.\n"
" \n"
"'Fuck my life,' your past and present\n"
"selves mutter, as security hauls you\n"
"both in for questioning.";

C5TEXT =
"You found the secret level! Some-\n"
"thing about this place strikes you\n"
"with a powerful sense of deja vu.\n"
" \n"
"It's probably just your imagination.";

C6TEXT =
"You found the super secret level!\n"
" \n"
"Seriously, what's wrong with you?\n"
"Was this megawad not hard enough\n"
"for you? Haven't you learned your\n"
"lesson yet?\n"
" \n"
"See a counselor, for god's sake.";

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpm6dmxfwl7dy8j/MAYhem1500v1.zip?dl=1 (temporary link; to be rehosted)

With Marcaek's blessing, I went through the whole WAD and did extensive bugtesting and bugfixing for each level throughout most of May. Today (May 31, 2016 on my end), also with his blessing, I'm releasing v1 of this WAD. The version number is in case anything somehow broke horribly in the transition from pre-release to release, and thus needs fixing. All of Impie's intermission texts are in the WAD, albeit revised (mainly to fit them on the PrBoom+ screen). The text file also includes a list of all the music in the WAD, or at least all the music I can identify. If Impie can state where MAP06's MIDI is from, I can put it into the next version. Same with Obsidian and the MIDI for MAP31.

If there are no further problems discovered by the end of the week, I will upload this to idgames. :)

Enjoy!