Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

[PORTALS] Eternity portal clipping is ready to beta-test

Death Egg said:

Is there any possibility in the future that you could make it so portal loops don't take at least four portals to connect for them to work?

That would involve tearing the fabric of linked portals in Eternity. Gameplay and physics (including sounds) depend on well defined translations between two layers. Forgoing this rule, I'd have to make the inter-portal physics context sensitive (depending on two reference points' relative positions). Even now, when you make loops, the portal where it loops back is not stable: other than teleportation, physics will just not work properly here.

printz said:

Gameplay and physics (including sounds) depend on well defined translations between two layers.

Tell that to this guy...

While it's certainly nice to have such versatile portals it should be obvious that they also have some severe limitations of how they can behave...

In my opinion the best approach would be to have two types of line portals: The linked one as it is now and another one that gameplay-wise mostly acts as a simple teleporter with some added stuff being able to pass through with special handling (e.g. explosions should be doable but making monster AI aware of them is certainly going to be a problem.) And those could even make a transition with different angles (provided that the renderer can handle it, of course.)

But it'd solve the four-portal-limit for making a loop.

The action 289 - "transfer a tagged portal to first side of linedef" now seems to be broken in the portal builds from feb 1st or later. In this instance I've used it to tag to a skybox (so my horizon wall is now part of the sky) but now results in HOM.

The current SVN EE build works as intended, as does the portal build from jan 31st or earlier.

Updated with new stuff after a few weeks, with several fixes mostly related to inconsistently linked portals, such as those which teleport you around the map, or produce infinite corridors. And also most importantly, line 385 (apply tagged sector portal to front sector) now works correctly if both floor and ceiling portal need to be copied.