Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

John Romero makes first new Doom map in 21 years

A veeery pleasant map. Grinding through a maze behind a red door with a chainsaw was such a pleasure. Also loves a ton of spectres and e1m3-esqe lamps in the dark hallways

I think with the advent of such advanced mapping that we've seen in the Doom community for the past ten years, people sometimes forget how cool Romero's style of mapping was. This was a boatload of fun and hard as nails. There were a lot of flourishes and paths that you don't see many mappers doing nowadays, but at the same time it definitely feels like a level that someone would make this decade. I'm impressed how well he mixed different eras of Doom mapping to make this.

I didn't see this coming at all. Gonna give e1 a playthrough later tonight to try this one out. If he does another remake level, I hope he gives map 30 for doom 2 a shot next.

Is it f*cked up that I wonder if anyone's asked on his twitter account if the map is Brutal Doom compatible? >.<

That was fun. It was much harder than I thought it would be, but I had a blast playing it. I hated the use of all those damage sectors though.

Fonze said:

Is it f*cked up that I wonder if anyone's asked on his twitter account if the map is Brutal Doom compatible? >.<

I played a round with Brutal Doom. I actually found it an easier playthrough.

Walked in with no idea what I was getting into and got my ass handed to me.

One cheating myself an entire E1's worth of ammo and health later (I'm usually maxed out by M8 anyway) and I was ready to take the map on proper.

Still got my ass handed to me. Reminded me a lot of Plutonia, that way.

I'm so used to Romero's E1 style that this almost didn't look like his work, though it HAS been 21 years. There's definitely a few E1 moments, though, like the cramped, narrow, blue and grey corridors in some spots.

It sort of felt like a combination of an E1 level and Mt. Erebus; I'm not sure I'm a fan of the sea-of-slime thing, but whatever!

The big problem is those damn damaging cracks, but once I knew to avoid them they were less of an issue.

I had to smile at the end, though -- cute callback to the original E1M8! And it looked sinister as fuck.

What a great map. Romero knows how to put together a final setpiece battle.

glenzinho said:

Hate to be the guy, but I found some slime trails in the boss area

Noticed those as well. Not surprising given all the complicated lava cracks in that area.

Well this was fun to play last night. I didn't enjoy the pain sector cracks at the start which was quite brutal, but after that this map was pretty damn fun to play!

I hope Mr Romero plans on doing more....

Wait, did this just happen?!?

/pinches arm

EDIT: Played it! (ZDoom, UV)

Yeah, this is the old magic back on form, boosted by some engine limitations removed, allowing for a more sprawling layout. Great spatial feeling throughout, you forget that the engine's 2D at its core, which I always take as a mark of a good level, no matter who made it. Romero's a master of darkness and showing it here, utilising it in parts to promote fear in the player. He's an unpredictable taskmaster and just playfully challenging throughout. I think I was below 30% health throughout 90% of the level, at times staring watery eyed through half lit mazes as I crawled with single digit health numbers towards the satisfying conclusion. This is one blast of a map, with the fingerprints of the most celebrated Doom level creator all over it!

Just beat it on UV using saves around 17 minutes & 50 seconds. Super fun tough level with that "I don't know where the hell I'm going but I'm checking out that structure" exploration type of feel :D

Buckshot said:

And I just saw someone say on facebook "why all the excitement over DLC for a game that's 21 years old?"

I want to find the person behind the comment and pound their skull open on concrete.

Ditto

Had a really fun time playing this yesterday. It was all over zdaemon, people really seemed to be having a blast.

Played this map today on HMP with prBoom. It's pretty damn cool map, that's for sure. It may not be visually top-notch (seems like a bit of unaligned textures at some parts and rather simple detailing), but the gameplay was tight and intense, I really liked it. When I saw the red cracks, right away I thought "these can't be good" (like a 3D version of the lava-cracks texture as it was damaging in some older levels).

Everyone playing Doom, should play this. Those not playing Doom, should play that, so then they can play this level. Definitely an awesome thing from Romero to make a map for Doom after a rather long break! :)

Maybe this is not the place to ask this, but I am new with the use of wad files and I don´t know how to play this level. Can anyone explain to me? I have two versions of the original Doom: the one included in the Doom 3 BFG Edition compilation (Steam) and the one included in the Doom´s Collector Edition (original box; this one: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Collector%27s_Edition). Any help?

Thanks!!

Zorjo said:

Maybe this is not the place to ask this, but I am new with the use of wad files and I don´t know how to play this level. Can anyone explain to me? I have two versions of the original Doom: the one included in the Doom 3 BFG Edition compilation (Steam) and the one included in the Doom´s Collector Edition (original box; this one: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Collector%27s_Edition). Any help?

Thanks!!

Well, first, you will need a limit-removing port, because this level is too large and detailed and will crash the original executable from your Collector's Edition, and the BFG Edition was not designed to allow loading external files.

You can take a look here for various ports, the map was tested with ZDoom and Crispy Doom so you can start with those if you want.

To load a map in a modern source port, it's pretty simple, usually all you need to do is drag-and-drop the wad on the port's executable. With ZDoom you can even drag and drop the zip file directly. Also, when the port asks which IWAD to use, choose The Ultimate Doom (not Doom II).

Gez said:

Well, first, you will need a limit-removing port, because this level is too large and detailed and will crash the original executable from your Collector's Edition, and the BFG Edition was not designed to allow loading external files.

You can take a look here for various ports, the map was tested with ZDoom and Crispy Doom so you can start with those if you want.

To load a map in a modern source port, it's pretty simple, usually all you need to do is drag-and-drop the wad on the port's executable. With ZDoom you can even drag and drop the zip file directly. Also, when the port asks which IWAD to use, choose The Ultimate Doom (not Doom II).

Sorry for my ignorance but I drag-and-drop the wad on the port's executable, as you say (using The Ultimate Doom IWAD) and the game opens OK. But is the game as always. I don´t see the new level anywhere in "chapters" section. And I only can play the old levels. How can I access the new level? Sorry for my bad english. I´m from Spain xD

Awesome map, but it's a really tough one, romero sure loves his shotgun sargents, guess he made me his bitch after all.

Zorjo said:

Sorry for my ignorance but I drag-and-drop the wad on the port's executable, as you say (using The Ultimate Doom IWAD) and the game opens OK. But is the game as always. I don´t see the new level anywhere in "chapters" section. And I only can play the old levels. How can I access the new level? Sorry for my bad english. I´m from Spain xD

Hit the keys "idclev18" once you've started an episode and chosen difficulty level.

I thought the red lava fissures or whatever was kinda tacky, they were cool in the final fight but ehh.

I liked it and want more...