Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
actinide2k9

Doom gameplay with metal overlayed

I prefer the actual soundtrack. Just throwing regular metal songs on top of the game is really jarring and removes any seriousness whatsoever.

A dynamic soundtrack consisting of industrial/electronic/metal/dark ambient is honestly how I would have approached it. I'm also a little concerned that the soundtrack will lean too much to the dubstep side, but other than that I think it's on the right track.

If you really want this, queue up whatever playlist you like in your favourite music program, and turn down the ingame music. Voila.

I hate this kind of metal. It's all guitars REEEEing with no other instruments to add texture underlined with generic drum riffs and barely any semblance of melody whatsoever.

It would ruin any seriousness or atmosphere the game is trying to create if there's metal songs playing non stop in the background. It's good for theme songs though, like in Doom 3, but not in game (maybe boss fights, but whatever).
Definitely an industrial/electronic/ambient soundtrack is the best way to approach this version of Doom, that's how I imagined it, and this seems to be what the developers are going for so that's awesome.

Doom music always had a series of rhythms that would make the song stand out. Even today with modern remixes using distorted guitars the music stands out, becoming very memorable.

The music here is just generic. Maybe it just needs less heavy metal and more grunge. Maybe some sampling would help.

I bet you didn't know half of the Doom tracks weren't metal.

E1M2, E1M3, E1M5, E1M7, E1M8.

Same for the rest of episodes and Dooms.

Btw, the music you posted is crap.

Well, I get it, everyone has their own view on things. I just hope it doesn't collapse into a black hole if the red dwarf goes supernova.

Eh. Metal wouldn't necessarily be out of place, but I think it'd have to be balanced out by a few ambient tracks. I love what Mick Gordon has done for the game, though, and it fits just as well.

GoatLord said:

Generic, boring, bland, shitty music. This is as bad as the metal in Painkiller.

I'd rather hear something akin to the Quake 3 soundtrack.

Use3D said:

I'd rather hear something akin to the Quake 3 soundtrack.

Honestly, as generic as it is, the Q3A soundtrack is pretty rockin'.

Also, I fucking loved the way the music came in short bursts in sync with the combat encounters in the first portion of E3 gameplay. Then it turned to creepy ambient track.

actinide2k9 said:

Well, I get it, everyone has their own view on things. I just hope it doesn't collapse into a black hole if the red dwarf goes supernova.

I don't think red dwarfs have enough mass to go supernova.

I wouldn't worry too much about the music. Mick Gordon is the producer for Doom 4's soundtrack. You could look up what he made in the past. Or you can check out his vine.

On feb 28, 2005 a nice little loop is posted with the title "And so it begins...".

From that moment on there are some very interesting snippets to be found with titles such as; #999, O Tube modulation of the Damned, DAMMIT. Pentagrams appearing in my waveforms, again... and LINEDEF.

Thats not to mention all the cool little loops with titles that don't directly imply anything but just sound cool such as; Uh Oh, Ferris Wheel, Thy Feedback Array, Mass Transfer, Swarming Trons and Taking Names and Reaktor granular ratches groove.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we get quite a varied spectrum of music. A little more modern for the base sections perhaps, with some metal for the Hell sections and some nice ambient tracks interspersed as well.

Remember that gameinformer mentioned the music sounding NIN like. While I thought that was a pretty meaningless statement after listening to some of Mick Gordons repertoire it does not seem so far fetched. He is certainly capable of producing music in a similar vein of the tracks that accompanied quake 1.

We shall see. Either way you can always turn on your own music as was suggested. All you lose is the dynamics of it. Personally I have mixed feelings towards dynamic music tracks.

Too often it happened to me that you are listening to incredibly high strung music while you have decimated the opposing forces and only one or two weak enemies remain. In those case the music becomes very over the top and it merely implies "oh there is one left that is still part of this combat encounter". We shall see whether Doom 4 spends a little more thought on the music logic side.

redrage said:

Remember that gameinformer mentioned the music sounding NIN like. While I thought that was a pretty meaningless statement after listening to some of Mick Gordons repertoire it does not seem so far fetched. He is certainly capable of producing music in a similar vein of the tracks that accompanied quake 1.

Quake's soundtrack is way ambient for me, so :_

Yeah I prefer the actual soundtrack. Even if it's leaning towards dubstep, it's kinda just there in the background and not in your face. I don't think I'd complain about it. Metal would be great provided it did just take a backseat role like this, which the video fails to do, especially when it starts bringing in vocals (that aren't choirs), that's completely off-putting.

P.S.
Relatively speaking, red dwarves aren't hot either.

As stated, Doom has a fair share of rock and metal, but is primarily ambient music, even the DOS tracks. e1m3, e1m7, etc etc, stuff with a great slow pacing and basically zero guitar. Metal could be used effectively in a FPS game, most certainly, but it has to be good metal, not generic crap, and it certainly shouldn't be "all metal" as that gets old fast.

tl;dr Bobby Prince level of catchyness + blend of fast, slow, heavy and ambient = A winning combo.

The music they show off in the one of the Game Informer videos does have a very Nine Inch Nails vibe to it. Kinda reminded me of something from the 'Broken' or 'Downward Spiral' era which is awesome. Then some of the music we've heard sounds like just some modern heavy electronic music. Not really straight up Dubstep, but just heavy electronic.

I honestly don't feel like Doom requires metal. I LOVE me some metal and I LOVE me some Doom, but I think what they have going on with the new Doom is going to suit it properly. I like that it seems like it's going to be a good mix of ambiance and heavy music to give you that creepy hellish vibe and then again to pump you up in high octane areas.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I honestly don't feel like Doom requires metal. I LOVE me some metal and I LOVE me some Doom, but I think what they have going on with the new Doom is going to suit it properly. I like that it seems like it's going to be a good mix of ambiance and heavy music to give you that creepy hellish vibe and then again to pump you up in high octane areas.

Like I said, if they're gonna throw in some metal, it has to be in good taste and appropriate for the situation, not just metal for metals sake.

It's okay I guess, but I think I prefer what we've heard from the E3 demonstration. At least I can hear what's happening in-game as opposed to DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN and growling lyrics.

The only metal worthy of Doom is something like Sunn O))):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR1KfKXH6s

Otherwise, NIN-like ambient work is great, I loved the soundtrack to PSX Doom too. While the original soundtrack is timeless, a lot of that sounds kind of goofy when it's not being wonked out by an old Roland knock-off synth. The ambient tracks aged better, like E1m3 and E1M5. E1M8 mixes that metal guitar in nicely, because the metal isn't the star of the show there. It's there as a cheeky compliment to the gloomy atmospheric "this is the end" vibe.

In modern games they aren't limited to slapping a single song in a level and have it play through the entire map. They are likely to set the music for specific scripted moments or triggers on when say... more than 6 monsters are attacking etc.

So if they do it right I'm confident they can include metal, epic Gothic choirs, dark electric, even some heavy dubstep (not skillez shit, obviously) and it should improve the experience.