Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Stardate 20x7 [/idgames]

comparatively minor. there's also an annoying visual glitch in that map (thanks zennode?), but again minor. I've no intention to update the wad at this point, so "oh well."

also I highly recommend not playing UV on a first playthrough.

7 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

there's also an annoying visual glitch in that map (thanks zennode?), but again minor.

Is that by any chance the two cases of missing floors in the main building? Never had that in the previous release.

Hi there, I found some few bugs in some maps, don't know if you fixed them already (or if you gonna) but just to make sure:

On MAP02: If you pick the purple key on the 2 key area (screenshot 1), and escape the yellow key area (screenshot 2) (you can exit that area with yellow skull, instead of specifically the yellow keycard), you cant get the yellow key again since the other teleport (screenshot 3) is one time only. Also a minor detail, there is a silent teleport with an angle facing to the wall (screen 4), in the megasphere that requires purple and yellow key, it kinda confuses a lot while playing.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170527_105548.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170527_105251.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170527_105822.png

testscreen.png

On MAP03: I got stuck into some random pit in the left path, where the rev and the green armors are. Quite easy to get stuck in there.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170527_110357.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170527_110429.png

On MAP04: Got stuck after passing through this silent teleport, though it's more of a random issue.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170527_111043.png

Well then, about the mappack itself, I did already enjoy most of the maps in the beta release. Eastern Sun gave me severe headaches, and I liked Velvet Blood Mission a lot, though i got confused a lot on what to do next. Couldn't play the secret map yet :(

Edited by Juanba : spoilers

@Juanba All the issues you mentioned have been fixed in the final release. thanks!

@Spectre01 Heh indeed. It seems zennode doesn't like those hacky linedefs that cross multiple sectors. I'm halfway tempted to rebuild the nodes and covertly update the /idgames wad before too many people download it or record demos or whatnot :p

edit: done and done. it bothered me that much :p. /idgames will be updated when /idgames decides to be updated. In the meantime here's a link (literally nothing changed about the wad except nodes on m01 were rebuilt with zdbsp instead of zennode): www.rbkz.net/doom/sd20x7.zip

Edited by Ribbiks

heh, same exact issue as m01. zennode not liking linedefs that cross sector boundaries. live and learn. my original motivation for switching to zennode for final release was that I recall it improving performance for some folks on large complex maps (related to reject tables, iirc), but I'm gradually learning the things it doesn't like wrt map geometry.

sounds like potential demo-sync nightmare to have a third, identically named, """final""" /idgames release out there. But I feel like this is really gonna bother me if I don't fix it :p

RIP properly handled final release. long live eternal bugfixes: http://www.rbkz.net/doom/sd20x7.zip

(as before, update has been /idgames'd, which will be brought up to speed soon enough).

modfied on:

05/24 - "final" version

05/27 - ""final"", map01 nodes rebuilt (nothing else changed)

05/30 - """final""", map08 nodes rebuilt (nothing else changed)

18 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339 Not sure what you mean there m8. Out of curiosity I played through map01 with Brutal Doom on UV and everything seemed to work fine. Aside from the usual changes in monster pathing which can cause enemies to walk down platforms and over steps that they can't in vanilla.

I was talking about when playing the levels on Realism Mode, not Ultra Violence.

I'm sorry but does this mean Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions #27 will finally be able to be uploaded to /idgames?

17 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

I'm sorry but does this mean Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions #27 will finally be able to be uploaded to /idgames?

yup go ahead. btw you guys might want to update the resources (the beta that they were taken from had some bugs, visual snafoos, etc).

edit: also yeah, give credit to essel, (and myself, I guess) for tex work, pls.

54 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I was talking about when playing the levels on Realism Mode, not Ultra Violence.

nice joke

good wad ribbits and good colors (more colors) !!!

anytime some1 complains about the maps being too hard just make them harder (esp on I'm too young to die rofl garbage players)

Just now, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I think Ribbiks should make an Okuplok-sized level.

Impossible cause with his detail he would beat the linedef 65536 limit before he would reach 10% of size. Maybe if he done it in raw Italo style, he could make it

40 minutes ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

Impossible cause with his detail he would beat the linedef 65536 limit before he would reach 10% of size. Maybe if he done it in raw Italo style, he could make it

Argument can be made there. I guess that is why level 5 from Holy Hell did not have a whole lot of detail.

12 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I guess that is why level 5 from Holy Hell did not have a whole lot of detail.

Holy Hell was whole ugly and the mappers didnt even show capability to make something nice. It was a low-effort shit. THAT was the reason it had no detail. And I bet it even didnt have over 10k linedefs, so it could have been detailed. But it is anyway just a jokewad, it wasnt meant seriously

30 minutes ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

Holy Hell was whole ugly and the mappers didnt even show capability to make something nice. It was a low-effort shit. THAT was the reason it had no detail. And I bet it even didnt have over 10k linedefs, so it could have been detailed. But it is anyway just a jokewad, it wasnt meant seriously

If you open it up on GZDoom Builder, it has more than 11,000 linedefs.

Holy Hell Specs.png

29 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

If you open it up on GZDoom Builder, it has more than 11,000 linedefs.

Could be 6x extended then, or 6x better looking (even if ldef count doesnt equal good looks)

Hi, for map04: Velvet Blood Mission, how do I reach the megaarmour secret? Is there a switch that I'm missing or is it only possible to get to it by arch-vile jump?

Hi, just made an account here because if there was ever a WAD I wanted to talk about, I just gotta talk about this one before anything else.

I just got back into Doom about a month ago after not playing for about 6-7 years. I was able to go pretty much face to face with like 2000 enemies (which isn't much compared to some of the things I've seen recently) with full-on brute force using in-fighting and dodging skills without sweating too much over it on UV. Been getting more and more comfortable after playing a few WADs before trying this. I saw the warning to play on HMP or HNTR for a first playthrough. Naturally, I went UV. This was both a mistake and a great call to make. For this, brav-fucking-o.

I don't know if my fighting skills and dodging got rusty more than I thought, or maybe I'm getting old and my reaction time has gotten decimated, but I'm surprised how much my old ways just do not work. I needed to adapt, and learned a lot of tricks that I don't remember knowing of all those years back. I feel I'm playing smarter, but in extremely tight quarters I'm usually pretty fucked until I can adapt, make adjustments, and be more mindful of the situation - a lot of this is really coming back to me in addition to all the new things I picked up. I'm not sure if some of the crazy ways I won fights are bugs/exploits, or were actually intended to be used by players who can be a little creative. Most of these involved some sort of AV jump through a specific window because other windows had an invisible wall. I've also never thought 'stealth' would be a viable tactic in Doom 2.

I wish I could have recorded it because it's probably worth a laugh, but the crimson hallway in Map 05: Sphinx Rising. I ended up needing to pre-fire a rocket to wake up a Rev, and lure his shots to take out all of the imps 1 by 1, and then wait at a perfect angle to hit an HK. I didn't open fire until the last Rev was about to die. Accidentally "bumping" into anything usually lead to having to reload the game.

All in all, GREAT WAD. I haven't felt this challenged and pushed by any other WAD in a long, long time.

Cheers, thanks for the kind words!

It's definitely nice to hear about a player jumping into the deep end and trusting the maps enough to believe there existed viable strats for each clusterfuck of a situation that UV throws you into :D. I'm sure at least some of your ideas lined up with the "intended" methods (I'm a big fan of infighting and pacifist stuff, in general), but some of them did sound a bit off the wall. AV jumping through windows and pre-firing before teleports was not quite what I had in mind, for example :D

Anyways, grats on beasting your way through my ridiculous maps, and welcome to doomworld.

I downloaded this for the first time over the weekend. I really enjoyed playing through the first map, with its puzzle box style of game play. It was fun working out what all the switches do amongst the combat. I still need to complete Stardate 20x6, but I wanted to sample this one a little bit. I'm pretty new here, but your work (along with various others) have inspired me to improve my own maps. My current project is coming along nicely, but it'll be great to eventually do small map sets in the future. What direction those will take, I'll have to wait and see.

I'm looking forward to playing through all of this one and checking out what direction the map set takes :). 

Edited by Relinquished