Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

BACULUS: 32 Map Scythe / Doom 2 Inspired Megawad (Now On Idgames)

3 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Hey everyone.

After all these years I have finally given this project a MAJOR overhaul. Nearly every single level has been changed in some way for the better, whether its a a small area being changed to an entire map being replaced, Baculus should play very very fresh if you've ever played it before. Most noticeably will be how less grindy I have made it, you'll see a lot more weaponry and ammo early on.

I don't think much of this project, but I hope you guys do. I hope you enjoy where Baculus as is it in 2020!

See DL link in description. Thanks!

PS. I always have wanted to respond to all these amazing comments, but I don]t really like taking control of the first page in Wads and Mods as there are all sorts of projects you can miss with these kinds of threads taking over. However I can't thank you guys enough for the support.

Whoa, pal! Just out of nowhere!

Great! i loved it backthen, and surely this new version will be better.

And how do you not think on this one? Its an amazing work, pal! @Noiser liked it soo much he uses it as one of the main wads distributed along D4V.

And don't worry about taking over the first page, quality wads should have always their spot there.

I will try to give you feedback on this one as soon as i can so you can finally upload it to /idgames.

Cheers, Crunchy!

If people support your project its because it is really good!

Keep at it, pal!

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Hey @Crunchynut44
Chocolate and DoomRetro this gives me the following error since startup:

Ahh shit, I knew I shouldn't have messed around in slade before I posted this. Easy fix though, ill re upload it when I get home from work. Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome. I had an absolute blast with Baculus the first time through. I did find ammo fairly stingy at times, so I'm looking forward to the improvements!

I started this up today after having played the previous version several months ago (but not all the way through). I really like this so far. It manages to fold in some good detailing and interesting visual variety while retaining that classic abstract-style theme and layout. The gameplay has been pretty interesting so far and I'll be eager to see how it progresses as I get further into the WAD. Really enjoying myself so far!

I've been playing on ultra-violence and I'm up to map 20 playing with Crispy Doom. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a megawad.

Crunchynut44, the overall design of the maps I've played so far are very consistent in quality. Whenever I'm about to run out of ammo in my arsenal, I find a box of shotgun shells. Levels never seem boxy. Freedom of movement during tight encounters. It's a mentally engaging megawad. Enjoyable.

I ran into a major bug in map 19 and a couple nitpicks. I'll be sure to report further bugs if i find any.

Spoiler

map19. i tried to open the red skull columns with the wooden switch panel and all the sectors tagged 0 opened as a red door. Making the map impossible to complete.
FhgcCkB.png
These two linedefs are the culprits.
IqNzQ0f.png
---------------
map16. Weird 3d floor. Minor visual bug.
DwZIb8H.png
---------------
map15. Evil floating candle or misplaced thing?
VmVMuL2.png

Edited by Swalzi

Baculus is an outstanding solid megawad and I'm psyched to try out the overhaul.

Played the first two maps. And my thoughts so far. 2nd map is pretty much what I would of expected from an overhaul but what happened to map01 Breach? It's a completely different map and there is nothing memorable about the opening shot anymore. That spiral staircase with the tech pillar in the middle and the windows to the yellow sky was such a cool introduction. Now we just see a wall :( I personally like the old map01 way better. It felt more dynamic and had plenty of room to maneuver. This new replacement feels a bit cramped imo.

Definitely glad to see this overhaul though. Thank you!

P.S.: There still seems to be a texture error.

Unknown patch 'S3DUMMY' in textures 'S3DUMMY'

Screenshot_Doom_20200915_233022.png

@Crunchynut44 I think this is a FANTASTIC megawad. Very much on par with other "vanilla" greats like Jenesis and (more recently) Moonblood.

One odd thing I've noticed... decals are left on pretty much everything, including waterfalls and other animated backgrounds. So you can literally leave bullet holes on a waterfall. Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

I tried other megawads in the same sourceport (GZDoom with software rendering) with the same settings and didn't have this issue. Very bizarre! I wonder if it has to do with the re-colorings you've done (on blood, liquids, etc)?

Great work, though. I can't wait for the final version to come out!

Hey, been playing this for a while, great job by the way. Though there seems to be a problem with MAP16. For some reason it only seems to run properly in Crispy Doom, not even PrBoom+ or Woof seem to run it properly. PrBoom+ gives me the error "R_InitTextures: 1 errors" and Woof will launch but has some CRAZY HOMs literally everywhere. Also running the WAD with Sprinkled Doom (Chocolate w/ raised limits) gives the error "R_InitTextures: Missing Patch in texture S3DUMMY". While I'm at it, I'd also add that there are multiple MIDIs (including MAP16's) that go over the 64kb limit, which causes them not to play at all in limit-raising executable hacks like DOOM32.

This is a fantastic WAD otherwise, it'd be a shame to limit its usability with these little errors.

@Crunchynut44 I played the original version of this, and really liked it. Is this new version complete? It looks like this thread has been dormant for awhile, but the current (and latest) version has some issues... correct? Are you planning on updating the wad, or is this what it is and it's done and final? I'll hold off on playing if a new version is coming.

Hey, neat! Another Doom II megawad to add to the list. I played MAP01 and it looks like the kind of mapset I like.

Funny story: I was looking up Plutonia 2's MAP17 on Doom Wiki, but since the map is mislabeled as "Mountain Doom" in DeHacked, I ended up on Baculus' MAP17: Mountain Siege page instead. I guess that is one way to discover a mapset! :P

Edited by Rudolph

I do not know if the author is still around, but as I was playing MAP03, I have found myself able to go through a window by straferunning from a ledge; I was expecting a secret, but instead I found myself stuck in an area that was clearly not meant to be accessible.

I am using GZDoom.

Accessing the inaccessible.jpg

Fixed version, works on Doom Retro & Woof! & DSDA and so on, but it fails on Chocolate Doom:
BACULUS 2020 Tex fixed.zip

For the future, TEXTUREx and PNAMES with custom textures in SLADE should be created like this:
image.png.80694a755ca3ceaa26d9fd1601b16173.png

26 minutes ago, DRON12261 said:

Fixed version, works on Doom Retro & Woof! & DSDA and so on, but it fails on Chocolate Doom:
BACULUS 2020 Tex fixed.zip

For the future, TEXTUREx and PNAMES with custom textures in SLADE should be created like this:
image.png.80694a755ca3ceaa26d9fd1601b16173.png

Ty so much my friend! I was trying to run this wad in Woof! but the map was very glitchy after load and that texture error in dsda-doom. Gonna give it a try right now! <3

Cool to see this back to surface again. Everyone who has enjoyed either Plutonia or Scythe or both, classic Doom 2 or the like, will not be disappointed with this. 

As you mentioned there are still some "bugs" present in this overhaul, like the RK door in map 19 for example. I'm sure in one of the DMs we exchanged some time ago there is still a list with the issues found in the previous version, which can help easily track them down in the editor.

I have quickly checked those new maps, they seem pretty good! I wonder what will happen to the replaced ones, since those were also alright imo, could them be added as bonus 33, 34, etc?

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Cool to see this back to surface again. Everyone who has enjoyed either Plutonia or Scythe or both, classic Doom 2 or the like, will not be disappointed with this. 

As you mentioned there are still some "bugs" present in this overhaul, like the RK door in map 19 for example. I'm sure in one of the DMs we exchanged some time ago there is still a list with the issues found in the previous version, which can help easily track them down in the editor.

I have quickly checked those new maps, they seem pretty good! I wonder what will happen to the replaced ones, since those were also alright imo, could them be added as bonus 33, 34, etc?

Thanks Galileo, I might retrace that and do a bit of a hotfix of all known bugs. 

I personally hate those old maps, I do have them saved under a separate wad ive called "Crapulus". Might be worth its own overhaul XD

Another edit, ive fixed all known bugs including the game breaking one in map 19 and the buggy ass bridge in map 16.

Edited by Crunchynut44

8 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

I personally hate those old maps, I do have them saved under a separate wad ive called "Crapulus". Might be worth its own overhaul XD

My vote is to take all crappy maps from this project and any others from "failed mission attempts",

bundle them together and release as the Crapulus Congromulated Compilation.

Played the first four levels today, I really like it. At first I was sceptical because Tyson-heavy levels aren't really my thing, but I've settled into a 'Thy Flesh Consumed'/early Scythe rhythm now. It's a pretty tough cookie on UV but not exasperating. The ammo balance is right on the edge, you pull it off by giving ammo precisely when I need it.

I also really, really like the palette. I don't know of all the changes you made, but the reds are nice and deep, the typical blue moving towards the cyan is wonderful. Not that Doom's original palette is ugly per se, but sometimes I feel like it has this "standard color" jank which isn't interesting at all. You've done some subtle work with nuance and hues here that my eyes are enjoying. Will definitely play more of it!

18 hours ago, prfunky said:

My vote is to take all crappy maps from this project and any others from "failed mission attempts",

bundle them together and release as the Crapulus Congromulated Compilation.

Ive got so many I could almost make 2 more WADS XD

I like that better than the name I had in mind. Baculus 2: The Crappening

16 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Played the first four levels today, I really like it. At first I was sceptical because Tyson-heavy levels aren't really my thing, but I've settled into a 'Thy Flesh Consumed'/early Scythe rhythm now. It's a pretty tough cookie on UV but not exasperating. The ammo balance is right on the edge, you pull it off by giving ammo precisely when I need it.

I also really, really like the palette. I don't know of all the changes you made, but the reds are nice and deep, the typical blue moving towards the cyan is wonderful. Not that Doom's original palette is ugly per se, but sometimes I feel like it has this "standard color" jank which isn't interesting at all. You've done some subtle work with nuance and hues here that my eyes are enjoying. Will definitely play more of it!

Thanks for the feedback, the ammo balance is something I worked a bit on, spark some infighting and you'll find you have a surplus on every map. I've always wondered about changing that gameplay aspect or not. There is a few tough maps but overall the Wad should play a lot easier than most that come out today, especially when you find the right route throughout the maps. I've tried my best to make sure its all possible without save-scumming or any prior knowledge. Worse case some maps might take a few attempts.

I made that Palette years ago, and it holds up well. I cant remember the specifics but I was inspired by a Wad from both Jimmy and AD333 that had a very similar colour story.

I remember playing this a couple years back and loving it. Not sure about there ever being any 'crapulus' maps lmao

I liked everything. But now that a new version with new maps is out, it's time to replay it!

Map 12: https://prnt.sc/9eGNL9BHH6HE

these teleporter closets are broken

EDIT: So I beat the first 17 maps + secret levels. Which maps did you replace in the megawad? So far, these ones were included in the previous iteration of Baculus.

Sector 362 two archvile closets are broken.

Edited by Firedust

On 8/24/2023 at 12:00 AM, Firedust said:

I remember playing this a couple years back and loving it. Not sure about there ever being any 'crapulus' maps lmao

I liked everything. But now that a new version with new maps is out, it's time to replay it!

Map 12: https://prnt.sc/9eGNL9BHH6HE

these teleporter closets are broken

EDIT: So I beat the first 17 maps + secret levels. Which maps did you replace in the megawad? So far, these ones were included in the previous iteration of Baculus.

Sector 362 two archvile closets are broken.

Map01 has been changed / replaced. As has map21 and 23 which are new maps.

Thanks for letting me know on the broken closets, ive fixed those now. Which map has the broken archies?

Cheers

25 minutes ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Thanks for letting me know on the broken closets, ive fixed those now. Which map has the broken archies?

Cheers

Oh whoops! Map 29 I believe.

I finished it today on UV and would like to offer some new impressions.

I liked it overall, the visuals are very interesting, clean, and diverse. On the gameplay front, however, I encountered quite a lot of frustration due to the combo of scarcity of resources + waves of chunky monsters. Initially I was planning on recording this for a UV-max saveless run, but I can't imagine playing this without saves, it's super grindy and frankly beyond my skill level, even with the dependence on infighting. One aggravating example is in MAP29, where I had to face something like 4 pain elementals and 8 mancubi with around 200 cells and 20-25 rockets (with more hell knights coming up). HMP pistol starts or UV continuous should be doable though. Good wad, interesting story, consistently ball-busting combat.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, DreadWanderer said:

I finished it today on UV and would like to offer some new impressions.

I liked it overall, the visuals are very interesting, clean, and diverse. On the gameplay front, however, I encountered quite a lot of frustration due to the combo of scarcity of resources + waves of chunky monsters. Initially I was planning on recording this for a UV-max saveless run, but I can't imagine playing this without saves, it's super grindy and frankly beyond my skill level, even with the dependence on infighting. One aggravating example is in MAP29, where I had to face something like 4 pain elementals and 8 mancubi with around 200 cells and 20-25 rockets (with more hell knights coming up). HMP pistol starts or UV continuous should be doable though. Good wad, interesting story, consistently ball-busting combat.

Noted! I've gone through every map (especially Map29) and fixed the ammo issues. The final release will be so much smoother and more enjoyable.

Asking for help on this actually, I cant upload to Idgames because of the Wfall texture, apparently its an unedited Iwad asset but i cant figure out how as its from the CC4 texture pack?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all