Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wads with Japanese architecture/influences?

I miss Japan :( I've seen Arabic and Mexican-themed maps on idgames, surely there are plenty of Japanese ones with all the weebs internet community obsessed with Japan?

Deus Vult 2's map03 has some really cool asian structures tucked away on top of a bunch of mountains.

I would make some but I don't have the right textures and I'm terrible at making my own since I'm not an artist.

"Hey, cool title screen! And it's not even full kawaii anime uguu~~~~ Let's start a new game. What do you mean, I've got -00 hit points?"

esselfortium said:

Well, it might not be what you're looking for if you just want something with Japan-themed maps, but the Japanese Doom community just recently released a beta of their community megawad project.

http://jpcp.webspace.ne.jp/bbs/jpcp_topic_pr_393.html

Nice, is it just me or has Doom started to get a fairly decent community forming in Japan? Or was there always one and I just didn't know about it?

Deus Vult 2 map 03 and the Hacx maps(even though they aren't japanese themed) mentioned before, although i suspect that there might be more maps with Japanese architecture/influences out there.
As for mapping, why not use Shadow Warrior's textures and make a map with them?

Oh, and I gave the JP Community Project thing a glance over in SLADE, and I got to say that while some maps are rather boxy a good number of them have a really sweeping, organic look to their layout with precise curves that flow into each other. Or they contain hints, my favorite being "SEEK CANDLES."

Oh yeah, and this is sick as fuck, too:

esselfortium said:

Well, it might not be what you're looking for if you just want something with Japan-themed maps, but the Japanese Doom community just recently released a beta of their community megawad project.

A rough translation of the text on that page:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uvmj2h6t1664k2a/JPCP_beta.zip
It can be downloaded from the above URL.
Right now we have just assembled the 30 maps which have been completed into one WAD, but we are finally able to release a public beta version.
Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to the project.

Right now maps 13 and 26 are missing (?), and since MAP10 is being remade to improve the balance, the old version is included.
In regards to MAP26, I will be performing the necessary maintenance to complete it. MAP10 is alright as the old version, but I was told by the creator Yullie that it should be replaced because the new version has better layout and detailing.

I am unable to get in contact with the creator of MAP13, Namsan, so I am unsure of its status. I have been told that the map layout is already complete, so it should be releasable once I've made the necessary adjustments, but it is against the project rules to do such large scale modifications to a map without the author's permission.
However, the rules have been amended so that in the case the author can not be contacted, modifications will still be allowed if several people ask for them.
There are some backup maps as well, so I could replace the map with one of those as well.
This is a problem that I can not decide by myself.

That is all. Thank you in advance for any feedback, bug reports, and other opinions on the maps.

I think the Japanese Doom community has always been relatively small, since PC gaming is sort of niche there. During nighttime, I see some Japanese players online on Zandronum, they're nice. I don't think I've ever played a WAD with Japanese themes though.

I'll definitely play the Japanese Doom Community Project later.

We need to contact these guys and invite them to release their works here on DW, more exposure is always a good thing and this WAD totally deserves it.

invictius said:

I miss Japan :( I've seen Arabic and Mexican-themed maps on idgames, surely there are plenty of Japanese ones with all the weebs internet community obsessed with Japan?

I released a total conversion last year called Nerves of Steel that may or may not fit the bill. All the enemies are Japanese, and the third episode is a giant samurai villa. Dunno how well it conveys the flavor of Japan, but it might do the trick in a pinch.

Spoiler

I'm intrigued to see what sort of maps the Japanese Doom community is capable of doing. All we got was the two PRCP maps by Tatsurdcacocaco, and boy were they enjoyable well-made maps that really captured the Plutonia vibe.

Awesome, a Japanese community project. Here's hoping someone made some kind of Asian horror movie themed level.

That was actually something I was planning to do and would like to do in the future.

gaspe said:

B-but there aren't weebs on DW... Right?!

Err... no, but ironic that this comment comes from some one with an anime avatar. (Yes I know it's from H-Doom but the mod has an anime style. Guess what the H stands for.)

esselfortium said:

Whoa!?

When were you planning on telling us about this?

nxGangrel said:

Err... no, but ironic that this comment comes from some one with an anime avatar. (Yes I know it's from H-Doom but the mod has an anime style. Guess what the H stands for.)

I believe that was the joke.